SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone with auto body shop experience? I need help please.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone with auto body shop experience? I need help please. Login/Join 
posted
I have a 2015 Toyota Yaris Sedan. The car was purchased brand new from the car dealership in the country of Mexico. I believe the sedan was not available in the U.S. for that year. Last week while attempting to run away from the federales, I ran over a huge pot hole. This resulted in a lot of damage to the front bumper. I also pushed in the radiator support bar. I have been looking for the bumper but I haven't been able to find one that fits. I tried carparts.com, Ebay, Amazon and nothing.
The car is now away from the US border so going to Mexico to find the part is an inconvenience. Not to mention I am now a wanted man in that country.

Any ideas where I can find a bumper that fits? By the way, Toyota dealership sent me to a parts place where they could not find it in stock. The car is in Las Vegas now.

I'm just kidding about running away from the federales and me being wanted. Just wanted to have the car fixed here in the U.S. Going to Mexico to get that part is just a pain in my rear.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Posts: 294 | Registered: September 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Are any of these parts helpful in your quest?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.htm...5+Toyota+Yaris+Sedan

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7421 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Are any of these parts helpful in your quest?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.htm...5+Toyota+Yaris+Sedan

Unfortunately, no. :-(

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Maybe here?

https://parts.toyota.com/a/Toy...TAY/116430-5201.html

Nope! That is the U.S version.

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Why not contact a Mexican Toyota dealership (or body shop) and see if you can't buy it from them and have it shipped?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Rock Auto?

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Why not contact a Mexican Toyota dealership (or body shop) and see if you can't buy it from them and have it shipped?

This is most likely your best bet in getting the part.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Ok guys, here is where you NEED a parts counterman with some experience. Not the guy that flipped burgers three months ago at The local grease burger stand or the guy that the Toyota dealer lured away from the local AutoZone, Advanced Auto, O’Reilly’s, you get the idea.

Go to a local Toyota dealer, preferably one you have done business in the past with. Have them contact “their side” of customer service through whatever means they initiate the contact. Give them the VIN together with whatever paperwork that proves the car is in the U.S. legally, sometimes this has to be proven for a U.S. branch to get involved if that particular model was not imported. I had that issue come up a couple of times when I was selling American Isuzu Truck Parts. Even though it was an Isuzu product and I could get a part number, if it was not IN the AIPDN system it could not be acquired or imported due to many reasons, EPA,FMVSS, marketing reasons made to protect the smaller dealers in an overseas market from us supplying a middleman in the U.S. the parts to import as grey or black market items possibly undercutting the locals. Lot of things, maybe just also to cut the work of the holding company so they did not have to deal with the problems that could crop up across national borders?

They may be able to cut through whatever red tape or raise the case to a internal level that can.
Another thing with talking to an experienced counterman is that here may be a “secret” section of the electronic parts catalog that is not normally known or used by your common everyday parts looker-upper. GM used to have a section that was buried, I found it by accident in the late 90’s that was a separate listing of ALL 9C1 (police package) parts available for all of those from the 1990’s. I had to tell a CSR from Partech, Where we called if stumped with a lookup question. He was not even aware of it and they have many more resources available that we never did, just one of those things. Once you get a part number(s) that is half the battle.

Only other suggestions would be to first check EBay, there is a Mexican version, I just found an app on my IPad for it. Secondly, Searchtempest, A Craigslist search engine might help. I’d start with bordertown searches, Facebook Marketplace, that one would be a last resort, Craigslist a second to the last resort as your protection against getting scammed is nil there.

Best of luck.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
One other idea just came to mind. Again, it will involve Toyota dealerships especially in border areas. Ask the counter guys if they have any contacts in a Mexican dealership. If so, that too could be a foot in the door so to speak. Especially in the border towns with old American market cars being sold in Mexico, remember the reverse is true also, their EPC’s may not cover our lines and I’ll bet more than once those border dealer guys have run into it more than once. I did even though I lived about 180 miles north we would get one of the Mexican market vehicles in the shop it made things interesting, like a six month old 1982 Chevy Malibu come in with out one Computer Command Control part on it nor any evidence of it ever being there. And as a plus the owner had to show me where the VIN was, surprise it was not at the windshield.

I know when I moved to New Mexico in the late 70’s the local contacts I had made here before the move were utilized and when I moved back here in the late 80’s the same thing happened in reverse.

You just never know, gotta try all the angles.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post