SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electricity is pure magic
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electricity is pure magic Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Ben Franklin thought that one use for electricity was that “it helps make a vain man humble.”

Those of us who have played around with radios, especially back in the tube era when voltages might be fairly high, learned a few lessons about humility the hard way.

When I was 15 my dad enlisted me to "trim the drywall" he had miss-measured around the outlets in a renovation he was doing on our house. He told me they were not energized so away I went. I was on my third one when I saw a blue flash and woke up on the floor a few feet away from where I had been. I left the knife where it lay, melted blade and all. My dad never asked why I did not finish my after school task. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29699 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the many valuable life lessons my Dad gave me as a child was when he was working on a lawnmower and I was nosing around trying to see what he was doing. At one point he handed me a wire and told me to hold it and then pulled the starter cord...after I stopped crying I was told "that's electricity son" and "good news, we have spark"

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Cool if electricity is magic and I'm a Master Electrician, does that make me a wizard?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
It becomes voodoo when you touch the wrong things at the wrong time.

My son and I were just watching this yesterday. We were crying we were laughing so hard...

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y74bK1NtIQU

Comedy gold! I wonder why that guy isn't all scarred up....must be a new hobby. Smile

I knew electricity was magic when I was told that AC had both neutral and ground! WTF!?!?! At that point, I divided by zero and decided to let wizards handle all my AC, forever. I am fine with DC, where there are no gremlins and it's just electrons doing fairly predictable things. Smile

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
that video was great - he's a highly skilled rocket surgeon

That guy likes attention and loves a little shock and burn.

Funny as all get out!!!

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Cool if electricity is magic and I'm a Master Electrician, does that make me a wizard?

And a long, flat tip screw driver is your wand....

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
If you don't believe that electricity is pure magic, let the magic smoke out of an electric device and it will never work again.

This is wisdom.

The commandments were a good larf.

Posts: 5138 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Of course it makes you a wizard.

I am reminded that any sufficiently advanced technology appears to be magic to those who don’t understand it.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by two-two-niner-romeo:
I forget where I found this, but it is truth and wisdom: Big Grin

The Ten Commandments of Electrical Safety

1) Beware of lightning that lurketh in an undischarged capacitor lest it cause thee to bounce upon thy buttocks in a most embarrassing manner.

2) Cause thou the switch that supplieth large quantities of juice to be opened and thusly tagged, that thy days may be long on this earth.

3) Prove to thyself that all circuits that radiateth and upon which thou worketh are grounded and thusly tagged, lest they lift thee to a radio frequency potential and causeth thee to make like a radiator, too.

4) Tarry thou not amongst those fools that engage in intentional shocks, for they are not long for this world and are surely unbelievers.

5) Take care thou useth the proper method when thou taketh the measures of high voltage circuits so that thou dost not incinerate both thee and thy testmeter, for verily, though thou hast no stocknumber and may not be identified, thy testmeter has one and as a consequence will bringeth much woe unto the supply clerk.

6) Take care thou tamperest not with interlocks and safety devices, for this incurreth the wrath of thy supervisor and bringeth the fury of the Safety Department upon his head.

7) Work thou not on energized equipment for if thou dost so, thy colleagues will surely gather around thy grave shortly after.

8) Verily I say unto thee: never service equipment alone, for electrical cooking is a slow process and thou might sizzle for hours on end before thy Maker sees fit to end thy misery and drag thee into His fold.

9) Trifle thee not with radioactive tubes and like substances, lest thou commence to glow in the dark like a firefly and thy spouse be frustrated and have no further use for thee except to pay thy wages.

10) Thou shalt not make unauthorized modifications to equipment, but thou shall cause to be recorded all technical directives and authorized changes made by thee, lest thy successor rend his hair and go mad in his attempt to work out the tangled spaghetti in the wiring.

I cut and saved this to show to my Pastor. He is an EE and should appreciate this.

I myself as an Amateur Radio Operator can personally attest to #1 and as a Maint. man and shift supervisor also to #6, however in the case of #6 we were often advised to do this dastardly deed at the direction of upper management.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
Thank God for Nikola Tesla. Whithout whom, electricity would be dramatically different than it is today.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://luminaid.com/

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
If you really think about it, it's what separates us from third world shitholes.

Posts: 4077 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Of course you realize that none of those laws apply when it involves Lucas, Prince of Darkness...

Nothing like driving down the road at night in your MGB at 55mph and after hitting a tiny bump in the road your headlights go out...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post