SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electricity is pure magic
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electricity is pure magic Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
You ever stop and think about how much in our lives depends on electrons moving along conductors?
Even just a little dab of electricity makes a world of difference.
Due to recent cold spells, rain, and general lack of use around here, I have spent the morning dealing with dead batteries on vehicles, bikes, and ATVs.
And one fuel issue (tractor, filters, diesel algae)
But seriously, I do not believe our society, AS WE KNOW IT, could make it w/o this magical, invisible (most times), “juice”.

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
It really is a beautiful thing! Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6209 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
It is witchcraft! (but I'm glad we have it...)

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15554 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
It becomes voodoo when you touch the wrong things at the wrong time.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29682 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
It becomes voodoo when you touch the wrong things at the wrong time.

My son and I were just watching this yesterday. We were crying we were laughing so hard...

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y74bK1NtIQU

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
A good read is "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen. It sure made me thankful for the electricity which we take for granted.

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 782 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Yup. But it's even more basic to than that.

Your body is totally controlled by it and we could literally not live without it.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
No, life would be grim without it for most of mankind.

I think it would be even more grim than depicted in Revolution where we reverted back to about a 1800-era level of technology and life.

I'm thinking that 80-95% of the world would starve off and we'd be more in a level around 1100-era.

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
I forget where I found this, but it is truth and wisdom: Big Grin

The Ten Commandments of Electrical Safety

1) Beware of lightning that lurketh in an undischarged capacitor lest it cause thee to bounce upon thy buttocks in a most embarrassing manner.

2) Cause thou the switch that supplieth large quantities of juice to be opened and thusly tagged, that thy days may be long on this earth.

3) Prove to thyself that all circuits that radiateth and upon which thou worketh are grounded and thusly tagged, lest they lift thee to a radio frequency potential and causeth thee to make like a radiator, too.

4) Tarry thou not amongst those fools that engage in intentional shocks, for they are not long for this world and are surely unbelievers.

5) Take care thou useth the proper method when thou taketh the measures of high voltage circuits so that thou dost not incinerate both thee and thy testmeter, for verily, though thou hast no stocknumber and may not be identified, thy testmeter has one and as a consequence will bringeth much woe unto the supply clerk.

6) Take care thou tamperest not with interlocks and safety devices, for this incurreth the wrath of thy supervisor and bringeth the fury of the Safety Department upon his head.

7) Work thou not on energized equipment for if thou dost so, thy colleagues will surely gather around thy grave shortly after.

8) Verily I say unto thee: never service equipment alone, for electrical cooking is a slow process and thou might sizzle for hours on end before thy Maker sees fit to end thy misery and drag thee into His fold.

9) Trifle thee not with radioactive tubes and like substances, lest thou commence to glow in the dark like a firefly and thy spouse be frustrated and have no further use for thee except to pay thy wages.

10) Thou shalt not make unauthorized modifications to equipment, but thou shall cause to be recorded all technical directives and authorized changes made by thee, lest thy successor rend his hair and go mad in his attempt to work out the tangled spaghetti in the wiring.

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1902 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
It's rather shocking when you realize all the things it can do.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, the almost forgotten days of high school electric shop. When we used to charge up an Electrolytic Capacitor with around 250-300 volts and let it lay on a table.

Waiting for an totally innocent student to pick it up.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
If you don't believe that electricity is pure magic, let the magic smoke out of an electric device and it will never work again.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Or we would all be chopping wood at least weekly.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckWall:
Or we would all be chopping wood at least weekly.

More like chopping at each other with swords.

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That video was hilarious, I certainly hope he was deliberately trying to be entertaining. If not, he should not ever do any more electricity experiments, cause he sucks at it BIG TIME!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
that video was great - he's a highly skilled rocket surgeon

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53164 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Ben Franklin thought that one use for electricity was that “it helps make a vain man humble.”

Those of us who have played around with radios, especially back in the tube era when voltages might be fairly high, learned a few lessons about humility the hard way.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Electricity doesn't power anything. It's all a lie.
What really makes everything work is a little bit of magic smoke. If you let this smoke out of the device it stops working!

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
It's rather shocking when you realize all the things it can do.

You've no idea really. Having worked at Florida Power and Light for 25yrs in Power Delivery/ Substations, some of the things I saw happen or afterwards would likely be classified as "Unknown" because you just can't comprehend what Transmission and Distribution voltages can do until you witness it yourself. Be afraid but respect what you cannot see and likely cannot hear but you definitely can feel. At several of our Substations during the summer months, you could put out your hands and actually feel the electromagnetic fields given off by transmission voltages of 240 Kv or higher, just letting you know that you'd be best served by not going much further in that direction Big Grin

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Good observations. And just think...although our culture is getting pretty fancy with how we push around electrons, somewhere there is probably a civilization that can do the same things with photons what we do with electrons.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16310 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post