SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gov. Inslee helping Washington concealed carry holders.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gov. Inslee helping Washington concealed carry holders. Login/Join 
Picture of gasche
posted
This may belong in another forum, hear me out.
I just got notice from the NRA that out Governor has signed a bill that Washington state gov. will now send out renewal notices to concealed carry license holders ninety days before they expire.
O.K. thats nice. But then I started thinking. Yes, dangerous.
First, there's the money. How much are they going to tack on to the price of the permit to pay for sending out a postcard?
Second thought, should we be issuing carry permits to people who need a nanny to remind them it's time to renew? Aren't we as permit holders attesting to our higher lever of responsibility and situational awareness when we decide to apply for a permit? Isn't the government encouraging the carry of guns by the oblivians we see every day?
Last but not the least thought on this. Our concealed carry permits are issued by the county sheriff but are recognized state wide and by some other states. It has always been my understanding that the permit holders were a county data base. I'm now being made aware of a state database of people who most assuredly own at least one firearm.
Are any other Washington residents thinking the same? Are my thoughts on this bill misdirected, or have we been hoodwinked?

Posts: 748 | Location: Western Washington AC | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
If Inslee is for it, then you have a reason to be suspicious. Notices should be left to the counties quite frankly.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I'd appreciate a reminder notice.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... the details are in the amendment (house bill 100) to RCW 9.41.070 for the WA State Concealed Pistol License (CPL). This new bill takes affect on CPL's that expire on or after Aug 1, 2018.

There were a few, just a few, incidents where CPL holders were unaware of their expired license, which came to light when there was interaction with law enforcement.

I would think that as a responsible CPL holder, one would be aware of when the expiration date is near or looming, but i would appreciate a reminder nonetheless.

The Bill was sponsored by Taylor (R-15) and other colleagues and had NRA backing.

Sure, Gov Inslee (D) signed it, but I don't see anything awry here.

Licensing cost is up by $1, specifically for the cost of the license renewal notification. A new license now costs $36 (up $1) and a license renewal is now $32 (up one dollar). Plus any additional FBI fees

WA DOL acts only as a central storage location for firearms data, available to law enforcement or corrections agencies only.

WA state CPL application is with the city/town PD or the county sheriff; mine is with the local PD, as I live in an incorporated city.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasche:
Are any other Washington residents thinking the same? Are my thoughts on this bill misdirected, or have we been hoodwinked?

This is a minor bill for a minority of Washingtonians for a minor increase in cost for a minor purpose.

Mush mouth signs it and by 4:00 will be on the roof of the capital howling to the masses that he supports your second amendment rights because he signed this afterthought of legislation.

The one only downside to this is he will still be governor.

Posts: 6386 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
$32 renewal...Lucky devils Smile I just renewed and had to pay $50 in addition to having to make an appointment @ the sheriff's office to submit my renewal application & get a new picture taken; they didn't fingerprint me again like the last renewal so I don't know if it's a new change of policy Frown

quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:
Licensing cost is up by $1, specifically for the cost of the license renewal notification. A new license now costs $36 (up $1) and a license renewal is now $32 (up one dollar). Plus any additional FBI fees

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
$32 renewal...Lucky devils Smile I just renewed and had to pay $50 in addition to having to make an appointment @ the sheriff's office to submit my renewal application & get a new picture taken; they didn't fingerprint me again like the last renewal so I don't know if it's a new change of policy Frown

quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:

Plus it's a 5 year issue. It's like 50 cents a month.

Posts: 6386 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gasche
posted Hide Post
So, the sky isn't falling? My paranoia jumped in on this thinking that since it is Inslee there is a hidden agenda towards more control or punishment of firearm owners.

Posts: 748 | Location: Western Washington AC | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Heroin....

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, the sky isn't falling? My paranoia jumped in on this thinking that since it is Inslee there is a hidden agenda towards more control or punishment of firearm owners.

Good on you, brother.

Don't worry about being too paranoid. Only worry whether you're paranoid enough. . . Razz

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
No. Sky isn't falling. Florida does this, and it's great. About 3 months or so, before expiration, you get a package in the mail with the Florida carry statute so you can review the rules, the forms necessary for renewal, and the option to either go into a Depart of Ag office to do it in person, or go get a photo and do it by mail.

It's a great service.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:

... as it involved Inslee, the paranoia and bullshit meter should be pegged hard against the scale that the needle bends.

But in this case, all seems to be well ... indeed, still the Guv.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Our concealed carry permits are issued by the county sheriff but are recognized state wide and by some other states. It has always been my understanding that the permit holders were a county data base. I'm now being made aware of a state database of people who most assuredly own at least one firearm.

WA might be similar to VA. Here, the permit is issued by the circuit court of the jurisdiction you live in, but the info is sent to the state police to be entered in the state computer system- VCIN.

VCIN is accessible to law enforcement agencies countrywide.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
This reminds me that I have to go across the river to Benton County, WA to renew my WA license in a few days before mine expires.

I have both OR and WA so I can cross the border without having to worry about whether or not I am legally carrying, and we do much of our shopping in Kennewick, WA.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... let's not ignore the fact that the Guv realized the revenue that the CPL brings into the state.

CPL stats CPL 2016: 450,000 holders, give or take.

If all current CPL holders renew, that's an expected $14.4 million for the State. Give or take.

I believe that Florida has something like 1 million licensed holders and $50 to renew?

I'm not holding out, but maybe numbers like this might change opinions, if only for the revenue. Wrong thoughts I know but then again ...

Kerry Packer