SIGforum
If you like Asian food, try furikake

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/6790013354

February 11, 2019, 10:53 AM
Jim Shugart
If you like Asian food, try furikake
Thanks to Aeteocles for mentioning this (in another thread). Its a mixture of toasted sesame seed, dried fish flakes, dried seaweed, etc. and is meant to be sprinkled primarily onto rice.

It's really yummy. Read more about it here.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw
February 11, 2019, 10:56 AM
tatortodd
Furikake Pan Seared Ahi is amazing!

It's what made Niko's in Honolulu have massive lunch lines.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
February 11, 2019, 11:32 AM
ersatzknarf
Very much agreed with you, Jim!

Yummmmm !

Smile

February 11, 2019, 12:02 PM
zoom6zoom
Haven't seen that one, I have Shichimi Togarashi, Japanese Seven Spice/

orange peel, black, white and toasted sesame seeds, cayenne, ginger, Szechuan pepper and nori.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.
February 11, 2019, 03:25 PM
Aeteocles
But did you try it with spam and eggs (and of course, rice)?
February 11, 2019, 03:45 PM
kkina
Hey, that's supposed to be one of our secrets, dammit! Well, I guess now we have to make you an honorary Asian. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
February 11, 2019, 05:41 PM
BamaJeepster
Admins:

I'm postin' one of them there 'post alerts'! This Shugar fella is trying to trick me into putting some kind of 'furry caca' on my grits! The nerve!

PS: In reality, I'm clicking links and placing an order Big Grin

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams
February 11, 2019, 05:53 PM
konata88
If it matters to you (it does to me), buy furikake made in Japan. Some brands are Chinese (trying to takeover this market).

I'd also buy a brand that doesn't use MSG (some do, some don't). And there are many different mixes..... Try them all Smile

Here's one of my favorites. Also, if you can find it, try the garlic chili sauce on the left. It's called Taberu Layu (or loosely eatable chili oil). It goes great on rice, potstickers, etc....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
February 11, 2019, 06:25 PM
corsair
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Here's one of my favorites. Also, if you can find it, try the garlic chili sauce on the left. It's called Taberu Layu (or loosely eatable chili oil). It goes great on rice, potstickers, etc...

Crunchy Garlic Pepper Oil...oh man is that stuff good, so so good.
My refrigerator is never without a bottle of that stuff, I made a meatloaf with that mixed in...unbelievable. Smile I can use it on just about everything and it'll enhance the flavors.
https://www.amazon.com/Chili-O...-Ounce/dp/B00BF028XQ

If you want a higher level of heat, try this
Laoganma’s Spicy Chili Crisp
February 11, 2019, 06:41 PM
konata88
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Here's one of my favorites. Also, if you can find it, try the garlic chili sauce on the left. It's called Taberu Layu (or loosely eatable chili oil). It goes great on rice, potstickers, etc...

Crunchy Garlic Pepper Oil...oh man is that stuff good, so so good.
My refrigerator is never without a bottle of that stuff, I made a meatloaf with that mixed in...unbelievable. Smile I can use it on just about everything and it'll enhance the flavors.
https://www.amazon.com/Chili-O...-Ounce/dp/B00BF028XQ

If you want a higher level of heat, try this
Laoganma’s Spicy Chili Crisp

That's it! Same stuff, different brand. Good stuff, right? Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
February 11, 2019, 07:05 PM
corsair
Same brand, S&B is the maker of it.

I brought a jar on a camping trip, it didn't make it past the 1st dinner. Everyone was scooping it out like it had crack in it.
February 11, 2019, 08:26 PM
ersatzknarf
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Hey, that's supposed to be one of our secrets, dammit! Well, I guess now we have to make you an honorary Asian. Big Grin

Shhhhhh, dude, be sure not to tell anyone about the yuzu-koshou... Okay ?

double top secret!

Mum's the word Wink

(freaking unbelievable on kara-age* Big Grin )

(*Japanese style fried chicken)

February 11, 2019, 10:34 PM
detroit192
Eh, I never really liked it or the version with dried plum, ume. Wakame is my go to if I add anything to my rice. And if I am sick rice and wakame in a bowl with some green tea keeps me alive until I can make some shiro (white) miso soup.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor
February 12, 2019, 12:51 PM
rpm2010
White miso soup with tofu, wakame...you got a hot item for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, so good when the weather gets cold.

And yes, the line at Niko's is still long!!

Good quality furikake on bento rice is...sooo good!
February 12, 2019, 12:55 PM
TigerDore
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
... Its a mixture of toasted sesame seed, dried fish flakes, dried seaweed, etc. ...

It sounds like something you'd scrape off a passed-out drunk outside the McDonald's on Manhattan Beach.