SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My son & his friend get yelled out by a mother today at Scout camp when they caught her son stealing from the trading post
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My son & his friend get yelled out by a mother today at Scout camp when they caught her son stealing from the trading post Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
The kid came into the store and looked around after picking up some stuff and then started to run out. They verbally stopped him at the door and asked him to empty his pockets and out came an upaid for Scout gadget. He gave it back and left and a few minutes later his mommy came over and started to yell at my son and his friend who were running the trading post. She then went and yelled out the director too. Another leader saw what happened and supported the boys but it seems little Johnny’s mother didn’t like him being caught stealing and it was my son’s fault that he did. Roll Eyes This was a 11 year old day camp as an FYI.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh boy;That kids life is going to turn out wonderful,and he can later thank his mother for it.

Posts: 12679 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
My mother would have whipped my ass with a belt and then would have made me publicly apologize. Has little Jonnie been expelled yet?

More leftist bullshit from little Johnnie's snowflake mommy...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
One of the Jr DFs stole an item when he was 5. We found him with it and after a few questions, he confessed. We took him back to the store and made him give it back with a confession and apology. It was hard to watch him suffer through that humiliation and fear. He never stole anything ever again.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
The camp Director should be notified and the kid, due to his stealing and the parents actions, should be reminded of the Scout Law, then asked to leave camp.

There is no place in a Boy Scout camp for a kid that steals, and who's parent yells at Scouts doing the right thing.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
So, what did the Camp Director do? Let is slide, apologize, or tell the mother to pound sand?

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't have had that outcome at any of my Scout Outings! Would have been a teaching moment for both mother and son!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, the director let it slide so all teaching moments were lost.

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
“A Scout is trustworthy...”

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

Sounds like the director needs to grow a set.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:

What a let down. That director is an asshole, and if it was my kid that got yelled at he would have heard about it, and so would that lady. And every scout and parent at camp would have been made aware there was a thief in their midst. These people need to be called on their BS, that kid should have been asked to make amends or leave.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:

Incorrect, there was a major teaching moments here.

1. The thief scout learned that if he is caught, mom will yell and scream and there are no consequences
2. Mom learned that if she yells at the accuser, her little thief gets away with no penalty
3. Your son learned that if he sees something wrong and speaks up, he'll get verbally assaulted by an adult
4. EVERYONE learned that the Camp Director has zero control over the camp, and is more concerned with keeping the peace than enforcing good values and discipline.

Granted, not a single one of those is a good lesson, but it was definitely a teachable (and I hate that term) moment.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
“A Scout is trustworthy...”

Scouting is just another broken relic of the past. It means nothing anymore. My son just completed Webelo, and finished with the Super Webelo achievement, which is completion of every elective. He decided not to go on to Boy Scouts, and I wasn't too upset. It's not what it used to be. It used to be about learning how to be a man, honor, loyalty, brotherhood, and useful life skills.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Wow!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I think that this is such BS that I would go up the chain of command and give them the chance to make it right, or I'd go to the press. BSA has enough bad press already that someone should care.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
quote:

Incorrect, there was a major teaching moments here.

1. The thief scout learned that if he is caught, mom will yell and scream and there are no consequences
2. Mom learned that if she yells at the accuser, her little thief gets away with no penalty
3. Your son learned that if he sees something wrong and speaks up, he'll get verbally assaulted by an adult
4. EVERYONE learned that the Camp Director has zero control over the camp, and is more concerned with keeping the peace than enforcing good values and discipline.

Granted, not a single one of those is a good lesson, but it was definitely a teachable (and I hate that term) moment.

It did give me an opportunity to talk to him about right and wrong and just because the kid’s mother ignored everything doesn’t change things. I have a good friend who is a juvenile court judge and we’ve talked a lot about what brings kids into court. Stealing like this will catch up with “Jr” sooner or later.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:

Pathetic. Unacceptable. Unless there's a new Merit Badge for Petty Theft that I'm not aware of.

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
In my fantasy world as the camp director, I would have verified the offense and sent the kid and mom home if their contrition were not in full bloom. Then I would have gathered the rest of the camp and had a teaching moment wherein we discussed honor and trustworthiness. I would spend the time inspiring the remaining youth to do right by the Boy Scout law. I would edify them to moral decency. That is what Boy Scout of America used to be. What we saw here was the BSA on it's way down.

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I would have verified the offense and sent the kid and mom home

The problem is if he sent Mrs. Oleson and her kid home, it might start trouble. Evidently the director thought it better to make the peace, and cheat every boy in the camp out of a character lesson in how things are supposed to be in life.

BB61, you are correct, this kind of treatment is undoubtedly how some end up at the point of the mountain.

I would seriously complain to the Council about the camp director. It isn't likely much would come of it, but they need to hear it anyway.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I would have verified the offense and sent the kid and mom home

The problem is if he sent Mrs. Oleson and her kid home, it might start trouble. Evidently the director thought it better to make the peace, and cheat every boy in the camp out of a character lesson in how things are supposed to be in life.

BB61, you are correct, this kind of treatment is undoubtedly how some end up at the point of the mountain.

I would seriously complain to the Council about the camp director. It isn't likely much would come of it, but they need to hear it anyway.

...or they can stay and suffer the lesson while all eyes are on Jr. Up to them I suppose.