SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Will an echo or Alexa work without internet?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will an echo or Alexa work without internet? Login/Join 
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted
Say I put an Alexa on a wifi network that has wifi enabled outlets connected to it but no internet connection.

Will the Alexa control the outlets or does it make you connect to the internet before it will function?

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I think (but don't know) that Alexa needs an internet connection to understand you - there isn't enough horsepower or storage for speech recognition locally.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
No. Just like Siri, as far as I know. Kind of BS that Siri can't even dial one of my contacts without the internet.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lovin' the P7
Picture of Tim335
posted Hide Post
I found out first hand that Alexa requires the internet. Several days ago, my Echo lost it's internet connection and it said it couldn't respond without that connection. And that was actually a widespread outage (I think focused on the east coast).

Posts: 3428 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: August 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I'm a bit confused why anyone would even attempt this. What would be the point if all you're attempting to do is control an outlet or two.
There are plenty of WiFi enabled plugs that you can control with your phone. The entire Alexa ecosystem revolves around the internet.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
I'm a bit confused why anyone would even attempt this. What would be the point if all you're attempting to do is control an outlet or two.
There are plenty of WiFi enabled plugs that you can control with your phone. The entire Alexa ecosystem revolves around the internet.

Because if one of these devices would work this way then you would not need a smart phone. While I have a smart phone it does not rule my life. In fact right now it is out in my truck where I forgot it earlier today, I'll get it in the morning.

It would be nice to have a voice controled system independent of the internet. 35gb of music on my desktop, wifi connected devices, etc...

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post