SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Questions related to finding which US Army unit a soldier served in with their WWII service number
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions related to finding which US Army unit a soldier served in with their WWII service number Login/Join 
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted
I trying to reconstruct my Great Uncle's WWII service record. I have his US Army service number from a 1950 Pennsylvania WWII benefit request, but I do not have a copy of his discharge papers. I contacted a researcher recommended last year by a member here, but the researcher is asking for the unit number.

His discharge records were evidently provided with the 1950 application (there is a red pencil check mark denoting discharge papers/proof of honorable discharge were included). Although a number of individuals before and after him included unit info, the pages with his details are not included in the pages for his file.

The issue is the last name falls within the records lost in the 1973 National Archives fire. My Uncle said he served in the Battle of the Bulge. I would like to know the unit he served in. If anyone knows of a way to find the unit number(s) served in without the discharge paperwork, I would be grateful for suggestions.

Once I know the unit, I can look for all kinds of things. IIRC, I do not believe he was wounded in action. If he was, he didn't talk about it.

Thank you for your help.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Any old family photos of him in uniform?
Looks like a tough chore without more info and the loss of the records in the fire.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Contact the Military/Veterans Affairs Department of the State Govt of his original enlistment/discharge from WW2.

One part of that “triplicate” package that was sent to Fed Archives (St Louis); second part was given to discharged service member; and third part was sent to the State Govt Military Affairs archives for filling.

It might take a bit, and a visit to State Capital probably might be needed. I was in National Guard and the State HQs folks were the POCs for these sort of requests; very helpful.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Similar problem here trying to reconstruct my father's service records. While I have his discharge papers they show only the last unit he was assigned to.

Initially he was assigned to the Signal Corps and at some point was associated with the 10th Armored Division and at the end of the war he was assigned to a Field Artillery Battalion. His military ID shows Signal Corps, discharge papers show Field Artillery. I have copies of unit commendation paper and shoulder patches, both for the 10th.

His discharge papers state Central Europe (Bulge/Bastogne) but both he and his brothers and a sister in law said that he was in North Africa early on, Normandy (not first wave though),France and Germany.

I understand that at the conclusion of the war accuracy of discharge papers was secondary to processing the men out. And at times battle ribbons were not listed on those papers for various reasons.

So yes, we both have the same challenges.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I wish I would have asked him while he was alive. I believe he was in the infantry. He never mentioned tanks. There were other things he mentioned that indicated he came in close contact with the enemy. He seemed to remember the Battle of the Bulge more than anything else.

His brother, who served stateside, had a photo of them both together in their Army uniforms. Unfortunately, his brother took it back, and I think that photo may now be lost to history. Frown

I am going to contact the State of Pennsylvania to see if they have records somewhere. It is possible his discharge exists somewhere else in their records.

I am hoping to avoid searching unit by unit, but that may end up being the only choice.

Does anyone know if US Army unit records are available for the Battle of the Bulge?

posted Hide Post
I read that some cities, counties and states would put on record the information that appeared on the discharge papers. Always worth a try.

Funny thing about my dad's discharge papers. He and my mother decided they needed copies as they could not find the original. 1962, they sent off for a copy which I have.

Fast forward to late 1977. My aunt and uncle were packing to move from their house, eminent domain for a new street. She called me at work to stop by as she found some old Army paper of my dads. Yep, his discharge paper. It was in a trunk with one of my other uncle's papers.

————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I finally gave up getting any additional info than what was on my late dad's discharge papers. I know he was 301St Signal Corp, 3rd Army but nothing more specific. I was the only one of the kids he ever talked to about his time in WWII, Europe, and even that wasn't very much.

He took me to see "Patton" when it came out and gasped at the opening when George C Scott walked on to the screen. Said while he didn't sound like him, he sure as hell looked like him.

The 1973 National Archives fire (technically National Personnel Records Center) destroyed 16-18 million military records sadly.

My sister found a 301st Signal Corp historical group but without more specific unit info they couldn't help.

I hope you're more successful than we were.

My dad on the left with his cousin that he bumped into purely by chance in France, 1943.

Dad's "Eisenhower" jacket, now lives with my son an Army E6 Flight Medic.

Posts: 1840 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I had a DD214 from my grandfather that served in WW2 and sent off for his records and medals. Try St Louis. The DD214 he had didn’t show much of his story but when I received his records and medals we discovered he was in two battles near the end in Germany and was awarded the bronze star. I also joined a Facebook group for one of the units listed. Someone there was able to track down transfer orders, CIB order, and daily report for when he arrived with his combat unit. I was amazed at what I’ve been able to piece together just from these two sources.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I've been on and off again doing this about my grandfather. His records were destroyed in the St Louis fire also. His DD214 had him discharging with the 103rd Infantry, but the campaigns he served in and his arrival to ETO was before their campaigns and arrival. I remember him telling me about getting mixed up in the wrong unit at one time. One day of random Google-fu I started researching his US disembarkation and ETO arrival dates and saw that it coincided with the 45th Infantry and their campaigns coincided with his until they were in the same campaign as the 103rd, so my assumption is that is what occurred. His service number indicates he was drafted into VII Corps though, which doesn't make since as he started out in North Africa in 1943 and then Sicily and up through Germany from the south instead of through Normandy in 1944. There are many division records digitized on the internet, I found the company log entries for when he was shot in the leg and from when he was assigned to headquarters (presumably around the transfer from the 45th to the 103rd. He never talked about the bad, only the colorful stories of Italian women and getting seasick across the Atlantic.

Posts: 2514 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Has anyone here ever used a DD214 expeditor?

posted Hide Post
What is that?

Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
National Personnel records Center
(Military Personnel Records)
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO. 63138-1002

I just recently researched and requested records on my Great-Uncle. IIRC, I went online and downloaded a few of the 'request' forms, #180 I think, which gets the research ball rolling. Sent this form off and they were able to find some records. From this had to fill out another one of their forms. Seems there is a different form for the type of info you are requesting. They can freely release info that is over 62 years old, otherwise I think the Veteran has to sign a release for the info.

I filled out the required forms they sent me and paid 70.00 for the records. Received 2-Large stuffed envelopes of papers. A treasure trove of info. Included were 1944 hospital documents in German from when he was treated after being shot down and captured.

There was a fire in 1973 at the Archive center that destroyed many records between certain alphabetical names.

The internet search to get the form to fill out and ball rolling was my starting point.

Hopes this helps

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1375 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
When many vets returned, they left a copy of their DD214 with the county Recorder of Deeds or Circuit Clerk. You might check there.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
Has anyone here ever used a DD214 expeditor?

There are companies in Saint Louis which specialize in getting a copy of the DD214 more quickly. Most of the time this is used for mortgages, benefits, funeral purposes, etc. Requests made to the National Archives can take 6-8 months.

In my case, if the DD214 were found, it could help with further research.

Given the problems with the fire, it may make more sense to be patient and go through the more detailed process. I am interested in gaining as many details as possible.

Once a process is started, the file is pulled. Only one request can be made at a time.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
A DD214 will show what unit a service member was assigned to, and that unit's location at the point in time when the individual is discharged. There is no record of where someone was assigned, or what units they were in.

I would still request records from St. Louis. They have been working to reassemble service records and what they have may be of help.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
National Personnel records Center
(Military Personnel Records)
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO. 63138-1002

I just recently researched and requested records on my Great-Uncle. IIRC, I went online and downloaded a few of the 'request' forms, #180 I think, which gets the research ball rolling. Sent this form off and they were able to find some records. From this had to fill out another one of their forms. Seems there is a different form for the type of info you are requesting. They can freely release info that is over 62 years old, otherwise I think the Veteran has to sign a release for the info.

I filled out the required forms they sent me and paid 70.00 for the records. Received 2-Large stuffed envelopes of papers. A treasure trove of info. Included were 1944 hospital documents in German from when he was treated after being shot down and captured.

There was a fire in 1973 at the Archive center that destroyed many records between certain alphabetical names.

The internet search to get the form to fill out and ball rolling was my starting point.

Hopes this helps

I think I am going to use this method, as I have four Army veterans to research.

quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
I would still request records from St. Louis. They have been working to reassemble service records and what they have may be of help.

I agree. If I am going to spend $70+, I'd rather get the whole file.

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Is there anyone here who could look at a WWII US Army photo of another one of my Uncles and tell me if he was in the Army Air Corps? I can email you a link to the photo. For privacy reasons, I am not going to post it here directly.

His gravestone says "T SGT US Army World War II." Evidently this stands for technical sgt.
When I visited him years ago his room was filled with models and pictures of WWII fighters and bombers.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
Is there anyone here who could look at a WWII US Army photo of another one of my Uncles and tell me if he was in the Army Air Corps? I can email you a link to the photo. For privacy reasons, I am not going to post it here directly.

His gravestone says "T SGT US Army World War II." Evidently this stands for technical sgt.
When I visited him years ago his room was filled with models and pictures of WWII fighters and bombers.

You can send it to me. If he's wearing a unit patch it might help. During WWII the air corps wore the same uniforms as the rest of the army, so sans wings an enlisted man would look the same no matter what kind of unit he was in. E mail is in my profile.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:

You can send it to me.

Email sent. Thank you for your help.

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I found his BIRLS file and it says AF. He signed up in the Army. I'm guessing that means he was in the Army Air Corps.