SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Questions About Refinishing Revolver Grips
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions About Refinishing Revolver Grips Login/Join 
Picture of WesleyDelArma
posted
Hey guys, was wondering if you could give me any input on refinishing a pair of revolver grips. I have two pairs in Pau Ferro wood.

I was wondering if it's possible to either stain these in colors: red, black, etc. Or can they be bleached or made white? How would I do that? Also what would I finish them with? On my other grips I like a hard and smooth finish, oiled not as much but would be willing to try it if you think it's a better choice.

I am completely in the dark with this type of project. I love the shape of these grips, just not the color. Haha Selling these and ordering new sets in a different wood is not an option. Plus I just want to do this as a little weekend project.

Thanks for your help!

Posts: 275 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: July 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Except for bleaching I think your options are endless.
If you like the natural color > sand and finish.
I'd probably use tung oil or maybe a fine Poly.
Stain it if you wish but only if you want it darker or a slight hint of another color.
Then finish.
Good Luck.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I've tried several different products but keep going back to this. If you follow the directions exactly it creates a beautiful and durable finish.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WesleyDelArma
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies! Any advice for prepping? Just sand off the old finish and soak it with stain?

Posts: 275 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: July 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Before you try sanding, fill a glass jar with acetone and lower the grips in on a piece of wire, then screw the lid on. Some grip finishes will dissolve in acetone over the course of a couple days.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WesleyDelArma:
Thanks for the replies! Any advice for prepping? Just sand off the old finish and soak it with stain?

Try a small area on the back of the grips if you can to test.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
If it's a surface type finish like varnish or lacquer and not something that has soaked into the wood, this along with steel wool does a good job.

If the grips have to have a close fit to the frame I wouldn't use sandpaper at all, just steel wool.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Quick and easy finish.... I use Varathane semi gloss spray. One can will do a dozen or more grips.

Matches the finish on older S&W grips about perfectly too.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Wes, you ought to have a look at this web page:

http://www.wood-database.com/pau-ferro/

Particularly the comments at the bottom. Some people are sensitive to the dust produced by sanding pau ferro. And surface finishes like varnish or shellac may not set up properly.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WesleyDelArma
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! Great place to ask questions!

Armed, thanks for the link! Will read when I get home!

Picture of WesleyDelArma
posted Hide Post
Update: It turns out the grips are NOT matching woods. The Lord Douche Of Baggington seller emailed me after shipment with an "oh, by the way..." email.

One is Pau Ferro, the other Rosewood. Those don't match at all. So my little plan, my little SCHEME of FINALLY having a matched set of pistols has ONCE AGAIN been derailed.

Historically this has happened 6 times now..... I have 5 other NEARLY MATCHED sets of pistols. Now I will have six.

Well, piss............... Smile

Thank you Sig Forum for accepting me and my childish tantrum for not getting my way. Haha