SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It's Friday night, mon
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's Friday night, mon Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I first heard Black Uhuru on my honeymoon in Jamaica. See what you think of this, guys. If you listen, you can hear a refrain from Michael Rose's Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, which BU covered.

I actually prefer a different version, but the copy of it on youtube ends abruptly and I no wan harsh ya buzz, mon!

Irey, enjoy

Posts: 107460 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I dig it.

Reggae in the Caribbean is better, doesn't matter if it's great or not. Steel drums, loud music, and atmosphere make it great. I've loved the block parties when visiting there. Old white dudes dancing with islanders, everyone having fun in the moment, the organic feel. It's awesome.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20803 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
About thirty years ago, I bought one Eek-a-Mouse album and one Black Uhuru album. Perhaps it was whimsy but Eek-a-Mouse was the go-to raegge record.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
About thirty years ago, I bought one Eek-a-Mouse album and one Black Uhuru album. Perhaps it was whimsy but Eek-a-Mouse was the go-to raegge record.
I can't hear that name without thinking of New Jack City. Big Grin

A nice segue:

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

posted Hide Post
Very cool. Never a complaint from me when reggae fills my airwaves.

Posts: 2690 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Lemme go rustle a spliff out of my son's bag and give that another listen while I suck on a Red Stripe.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Gets really funky around the five minute mark.

Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
YES! Black Uhuru has been a mainstay on my iPhone music list for quite a few years now.
Excellent choice for a Friday night, boss.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:

Reggae in the Caribbean is better, doesn't matter if it's great or not. Steel drums, loud music, and atmosphere make it great. I've loved the block parties when visiting there. Old white dudes dancing with islanders, everyone having fun in the moment, the organic feel. It's awesome.

Years ago I went to a buddy's 'back home again' party....they brought steel drums & a couple Island music maker friends that merged for the occassion with the resident "Big Daddy WaaWaa and the Bourbon Guerrillas"....what with the food & the hypnotic cadence I was moved to try a few steel drum moves myself.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
So funky

I'm gonna have to go dig out my bootleg VHS copy of The Harder They Come. Big Grin

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Erie!.... Ima call it Reggaebilly, Mon!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I first heard Black Uhuru on my honeymoon in Jamaica. See what you think of this, guys.

Not a bad jam, boss. But it's a long one!

Posts: 1780 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Loved Black Uhuru back in the 80s, and have several of their LPs. Also liked 3rd World, Steel Pulse, Burning Spear. Ya mon!

Posts: 3250 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post