SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fire tablet - limiting access (I don't really need to use it)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fire tablet - limiting access (I don't really need to use it) Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I bought one of those new fangled Fire tablets while on sale.

Question: I bought it to allow visitors to browse the web, check email, listen to music, watch youtube, read books, whatever while at my home.

It appears I need to 'register' the device using my Prime account.

I want people to be able to use the device but not access the Amazon shopping app (and may be a couple of other apps for which I want to remain private, but at this point primarily the shopping app). I don't want them to see what's in my cart, what I've bought and certainly not buy anything Smile.

Do you guys allow 'public' access to family, friends to these types of devices?

If so, how do it without allowing access to the shopping app?

Do you have to be a Prime member to register the device? (there didn't seem to be a manual that came with the device so I'm searching). If not, set up some sort of dummy account? Or what?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We set up one for my nephew with just an email & Amazon account for him - No CC or other billing info.
It's been a while, but we might have had to put in a CC #, but were able to delete it later.

I think you can set your account up to require the PW every time you purchase or look at order history.

I wouldn't hesitate to let a family/friend use my kindle/phone/laptop, but I don't think I'd let them have free reign with it for a long period of time. Not that I think they would snoop or that I'd care that they saw my purchase history, but rather that they'd do something stupid that I'd have to fix. You want full access to a device, bring your own, I'll give you the wifi password. Otherwise, you're SOL.

If it's a spare/loaner from the beginning, I'd set it up on a separate amazon account & just not use it much. Defeats a lot of the utility for you, but if you're not going to use it much it won't hurt too bad.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I don't own a fire tablet but a quick search found this:

Use Household Profiles to Share Your Fire Tablet

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
You should be able to set-up a guest profile that doesn't allow access to your administrative stuff.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
A guest user account on the device itself, and/or a guest/household Amazon account.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I bought a Fire 8" tablet as an emergency backup.
I saw Amazon had them for $29 on Black Friday.

Highly recommended despite the OK, not great display, performance and battery life. There's an easy fix on YouTube to access the much better Google Play Store instead of Amazon's limited offerings.

One review I saw was the best I've seen and sold me on the Fire -- "It's almost rude not to buy one".

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks -- I'm trying out the additional profiles (don't think that's going to work) and Parental Controls (seems promising).

I guess tablets are more personal devices and not really meant to be multi-user devices. I think PC may be sufficient but it's a little cumbersome.

Still, this should be a decent replacement for an old iPod (well, actually iphone 4 that i'm using as iPod) that doesn't work worth crap right now (weird, when new it was fine and zippy. now, it just runs like crap and no idea why. I swear that Apple is doing something malicious here to drive purchase of new models).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post