SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Waze use seems to be declining
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waze use seems to be declining Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted
Last year, when we traveled south, we had a lot of info/warnings from fellow Waze users. I run it on my phone, connected via CarPlay to the main screen on my SUV. I use an independent Garmin GPS for navigating. This year, hardly anyone appears on Waze. Too bad, I liked the interactivity of those traveling on our route.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
It may be due to Google is adding features to Google maps since they purchased Waze. I do see updates from the Wazers in metro Milwaukee. But you also need to consider the bulk of the Wazers are now work from home and not providing the large scale input to provide map updates.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I use it everyday running all over south Louisiana

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I would not be surprised to find Waze use declining. People are finding out there are significant privacy concerns, plus ISTR a couple significant security issues popping up over the last few months or year.

At the encouragement of family I briefly had it installed when we were in Europe. Truthfully: It didn't do anything for me Apple Maps did not, except for speed cams and traps. Since I don't speed like a madman, those generally aren't a problem for me. Plus Waze didn't work with my watch. I dumped it.

Google owns Waze now? Heh. No. Just... no.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Don't know about your area, but here there are a lot less drivers on the road during the pandemic here.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Saw lots of wazers on our trip to and from western NC...saved me an hour in traffic by the Mississippi River....and the notifications were spot on...wrecks, stuff in the road etc...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
All of the speed traps on my annual 90-minute Thanksgiving drive were marked

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Waze is integrated into google maps now after it was bought by Google

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:

Some data might be, but not Waze's all important speed trap and police presence warnings, which have saved me from a ticket numerous times.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
Just drove from Orlando to Elijay, GA and back for a Thanksgiving break in a cabin. There were plenty of Waze users on I-75.

Posts: 2291 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M'headSig:
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:

Some data might be, but not Waze's all important speed trap and police presence warnings, which have saved me from a ticket numerous times.
Google maps does have speed trap info integrated from Waze (which it has owned for about 6 years.)

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Google owns Waze now? Heh. No. Just... no.

Exactly. F that.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
We used Waze a couple times last week for trips of 1 to 6 hours. Just about all road hazards were identified and all cops were marked by users. One cop would have been impossible to spot - probably saved a lot of people speeding tickets.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I use Waze a lot. One main reason is to double check my cruise control when traveling....

Posts: 1352 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
Just drove from Orlando to Elijay, GA and back for a Thanksgiving break in a cabin. There were plenty of Waze users on I-75.

The portion of that drive from the Florida border to Macon is awful. Troopers hiding everywhere.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
It's still being updated by users. We did a 700 mile road trip on Friday for Semper Fi Dog Rescue and Waze reported all the speed traps for us.

Used it this morning to find multiple crashes people were calling in and unsure of their location. Let me check waze. Hmmm...oh you're there, not my city. lol. of course we did have a bazillion people run off the road today because it's our first snow storm and people that have been living here forever forgot how to drive in the snow.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Another good thing purchased by big tech and effd up. Sad.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I don't see Waze use declining. I use it everyday doing deliveries.

Yes, Google Maps warns of speed traps (info from Waze), but if you're using Google Maps to navigate there'ss no way to input a speed trap, object on road, or to report that it's not there anymore. Maybe if you are handholding your phone there is, but not if you are running it thru the car via Android Auto or Apply Play.

Google Maps does not redirect you in event of traffic jam, etc.

I think Google Maps does a better job of showing the locations of things. For example, say you want to go to the nearest Walmart. In Google Maps, search for Walmart and it shows the locations on the map along with your location. Waze shows a list of addresses, which doesn't help much unless you already know the address you want.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Besides, it gets old getting off the highway, going thru some neighborhoods just to get back on the highway 5 mile down the road.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
I don't see Waze use declining. I use it everyday doing deliveries.

Yes, Google Maps warns of speed traps (info from Waze), but if you're using Google Maps to navigate there'ss no way to input a speed trap, object on road, or to report that it's not there anymore. Maybe if you are handholding your phone there is, but not if you are running it thru the car via Android Auto or Apply Play.

Google Maps does not redirect you in event of traffic jam, etc.

I think Google Maps does a better job of showing the locations of things. For example, say you want to go to the nearest Walmart. In Google Maps, search for Walmart and it shows the locations on the map along with your location. Waze shows a list of addresses, which doesn't help much unless you already know the address you want.

I think they are in the process of porting the good features over as they kill off waze. The last time I used it, Google maps has added the ability to report that a speed trap is no longer there.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post