SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mac OSX High Sierra
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mac OSX High Sierra Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
Anyone else made this upgrade?

I upgraded one of the i3 imacs and it went flawless, now I am going to try the C2D and my i5.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Updated my work iMac (Retina 4K) on Friday - it went smoothly but I honestly haven’t done much with it since then - I guess I’ll see tomorrow.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I upgraded my Mac Air when it came out. No issues so far. After it was done I had a few more gigs of storage space, I'm assuming it is due to the new file system.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I am doing it because of the editing updates in Photos.

I pray they finally fixed the clusterfuck that became of iMovie.

I have an original OSX imac just for the super powerful easy editing of the original iMovie.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Ran it on a MacBook a week or two ago. It's pretty nice.

I really wish iOS updates/upgrades did for my phone what OS X updates do for my MacBook. Frown

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I updated my 2011 MBP about a month ago. First timeI tried, something bad happened and my computer stopped working. I had to beet in recovery mode, and somehow I figured out how to run the installer again - my computer wouldn't boot normally, and I feared all my data would be lost. Fortunately, the second time it worked and I haven't had any problems since.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did my mini right after release. No issues

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did my upgrade last night. Had to enter in all my passwords.....again.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I did an install onto an older model freshly-formatted MacBook Pro for a customer, does not seem all that different than Sierra under the hood.

Will probably upgrade a newish iMac this Tuesday, I wil report back if anything goes wonky.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Just finished installing, 2011 iMac. So far, so good.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16268 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I put High Sierra on a friend's 2012 MacBook Pro a week or so ago. No issues that I can see....

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Have gone to High Sierra (HS) on four Macbook Pros so far. Only had a problem with one.
It just didn't like it (dunno why yet), and I had to restore back to the last backup.

I have noticed a few apps require an update like Final Cut Pro. These versions of Apple Pro Apps are compatible with High Sierra-

Final Cut Pro X 10.3.4 or later
Motion 5.3.2 or later
Compressor 4.3.2 or later
Logic Pro X 10.3.1 or later
MainStage 3.3 or later

Little Snitch requires version 4.0.3. Office 2011 is not supported in HS, and Office 2016 requires versions 15.35 and later only. Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) 4- limited support only.
Wacom tablets evidently don't have a driver update yet for HS. Sometimes it is hard to tell how long these companies take to update drivers and bugs.

There are others. If you use more than the average apps... check the list before upgrading.

I have found in the past from painful experience that it is an extremely good move to consistently back up before updating/installing OS updates with Windows or Macs-

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

About two versions ago, I adopted a personal policy of waiting out the full year of development of a new OS version. So, I just recently (August), did a fresh install of 10.12.6, Sierra. I do have HS installed on an external SSD, and boot it up regularly to keep it updated and to mess around with different apps, etc. I must say HS seems more mature at this point (.2) than Sierra did at a similar stage last year. But I will wait for the final point release before fresh installing on my working machines (I always do a wipe and fresh install for new versions). In the meantime, I am getting important apps (CCC, Little Snitch, VMware Fusion, etc.) upgraded to the latest versions.

BTW, it is now (as of Sierra) no longer OS X, but macOS.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Well, the update is done and so far so good.

The photo editing tools in Photos is sufficient for what I do.

iMovie seems to be better also.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

posted Hide Post
I run it on my old white plastic macbook (on which this is typed right now). I don't notice much difference from one version to the next, but then I don't use it for much other than checking in on a couple of web sites, email, and writing.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I did it on my 2017 MacBook Pro, but am in contemplation mode on my 2012 iMac.

EDIT: I upgraded this afternoon and so far so good. A little slow opening programs for the first time, but it's speeding up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Friendly reminder: don't forget to backup your Macs on a regular basis and especially before you install upgrades.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now if Apple could get the phone and computer operating systems compatible between each other like when I first got my iMac and iPhone a year and a half ago I would be a very happy camper. I used to be able to make a ringtone from a song on my iMac and easily transfer it to the phone. No more! I was told to make it in Garage Band. They do not transfer either. The main reason I went to Mac was the ease of transferring data but now that seems to be gone in many applications.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2876 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I have a Late 2012 Mac Mini, and I can't upgrade to High Sierra for some reason. I also of OS Sierra on 2 external drives, and I can't upgrade those either.

During installation, I get a black screen with a prohibitive sign(circle with diagonal line through it) at first reboot. That screen goes away after a moment where I then get the option to get help, re-install OS, etc.

I've tried installation at time of release and later just in case there were better releases, but it still won't install.

I installed it on my wife' MBP with no problems.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1160 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I downloaded it but haven't done the upgrade.

I always back up my Mac before doing a major update. With time machine it super easy with an external HD.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post