SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mac OSX High Sierra
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mac OSX High Sierra Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Haven't done it yet because I rely on ScanSnap software for scanning documents. A new HS-compatible version is due out in December. Until then scanned documents can't have OCR done, at least within ScanSnap. There were compatibility problems with the last update to Sierra too.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
I got the flashing file folder meaning it couldn't find some startup disk. Finally had to restore it from the time capsule.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I’ll be updating my mid-2012 MBP sometime soon. I usually wait before diving in.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
I tried to on my mid 2010 MacBook Pro this afternoon. Failed part way through and now I am trying to recover from an external drive. My Mac is now a brick.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
Now if Apple could get the phone and computer operating systems compatible between each other like when I first got my iMac and iPhone a year and a half ago I would be a very happy camper. I used to be able to make a ringtone from a song on my iMac and easily transfer it to the phone. No more! I was told to make it in Garage Band. They do not transfer either. The main reason I went to Mac was the ease of transferring data but now that seems to be gone in many applications.

How to copy ringtones with the 12.7.x version of iTunes. You can also copy data for apps that support it. With your phone connected, open your phone in iTunes and click on "File Sharing".

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"High Sierra"? Did they clear that with W. R. Burnett? Razz

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have 2008 MacBook Pros. If for some reason they don't react well to the upgrade and we have to get new laptops, can we archive the thousands of old e-mails from our Mac mail applications before trying the upgrade?

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I upgraded my desktop a few days ago, my Ipad Friday and my Iphone Saturday.

Went so smoothly that it shocked me. I NEVER can do anything even a little techie without it (okay, maybe me) messing it up.

Bob

Posts: 1559 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftttu:

During installation, I get a black screen with a prohibitive sign(circle with diagonal line through it) at first reboot. That screen goes away after a moment where I then get the option to get help, re-install OS, etc.

That happened to me too with the first release of 10.13. I rebooted into Recovery Mode and reinstalled the OS that way. That was a bit scary, but everything works fine now.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

I had to Google that reference. I figured it was a pot joke myself.

Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
My wife and I have 2008 MacBook Pros. If for some reason they don't react well to the upgrade and we have to get new laptops

Mid 2010 MBPs are oldest MBPs compatible with High Sierra : https://www.apple.com/macos/how-to-upgrade/

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rh:
quote:
If Roy Earle finds out that yuppies and metrosexuals have appropriated that name, there's gonna be Hell to pay.

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rh:
quote:
If Roy Earle finds out that yuppies and metrosexuals have appropriated that name, there's gonna be Hell to pay.

Is there a picture of Bogart and Lupino on the start up screen?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rh:
quote:
Originally posted by ftttu:

During installation, I get a black screen with a prohibitive sign(circle with diagonal line through it) at first reboot. That screen goes away after a moment where I then get the option to get help, re-install OS, etc.
That happened to me too with the first release of 10.13. I rebooted into Recovery Mode and reinstalled the OS that way. That was a bit scary, but everything works fine now.

I'm now posting this from my newly updated Mac Mini running OS High Sierra...finally!

I reset my PRAM/NVRAM, and after the reboot, the installation went in no problem. If anyone gets a prohibited sign at first reboot during installation, it may be time for a reset.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1160 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Did a 13" 2012 macbook pro, a 15" 2012 Macbook pro, and a 2014 Macbooc Air.

13" no problems
15" Failed on reboot, but booted back into original OS. Had to repair disk, tried again, and then worked
Macbook Air, Rebooted to a folder with a big slashcircle through it (basically dead). Had to go into Recovery using command R after power up. Had option to reinstall OS, but it showed High Sierra, not original Sierra. Chose that option and it worked.

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ran the update on both my 21.5" iMac and my 13" Macbook Air, Zero problems on either machine. I run the updates as soon as I see they are available for download/install. Never had any problems..
I also have a 3 yr old iPad mini and a new iphone 8S, again I run/install update as soon as they are ready for download/install, Again I never have any probles with my stuff.

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post