SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's growing in my garden?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's growing in my garden? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
We moved into a new home a few weeks ago, and we've got something growing in a vegetable garden box and we don't know what it is. It doesn't have any smell, and no fruit is visible yet. Any ideas what it is?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Poison ivy. Not a great salad green.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like a blackberry bush to me. My mom has them growing along a gulley.

http://identifythatplant.com/b...-or-black-raspberry/

Peter

Posts: 89 | Location: Chesapeake, VA | Registered: September 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like raspberry or dewberry to me. Is it developing any thorns yet, or could be thornless.

Posts: 516 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: October 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:

Poison ivy. Not a great salad green.
It sure do look similar. Here's some poison ivy:

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I don't think it's poison ivy, I think it's a berry of some kind.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
2nd on the blackberries.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Blackberry. It will grow into a bush and then several.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
Blackberry. It will grow into a bush and then several.
and the birds will grab all the fruit before you can pick it, they will spread the seeds around your yard, and you'll never be able to get rid of it.

Posts: 6398 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Are there pods?

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Our raspberry plants look like that.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Just finished spraying dads blackberry growing all over his property with roundup....pull that crap before it gets bigger!!!!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Looks like blackberry- definitely not poison ivy. Unless you want it growing everywhere, eradicate it.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it's blackberry or not, been years since I moved away from the family land that's now sold. But damn, I miss going out and picking blackberries the size of my thumb. Could head to the overgrown fence rows and within 15 minutes fill up any size container that I had with me. To this day blackberries are one of my favorites.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like blackberry; it appears that at least you have the thornless variety
s.

Posts: 297 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
my first thought was "tame" blackberries but the ones I had were nasty with thorns. Berries were about the size of a 50 cent piece though!

Posts: 1552 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Not greasy/shiny looking, so not poison ivy.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Not greasy/shiny looking, so not poison ivy.

I agree that it’s probably a berry of some sort. However, not all poison ivy is shiny. It can look different at different times of year. Believe me I’ve become a custom to identifying it because I am ridiculously allergic to it and end up on prednisone at even the slightest touch

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pull it by it's roots and bag it. Trust me you don't want blackberries. I had one then 10 then an entire backyard full of it. I need to get out there and work on it again but I'm probably going to have to rip out EVERYTHING and replant something good.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post