SIGforum
What's growing in my garden?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/6760057754

June 11, 2019, 06:15 PM
4x5
What's growing in my garden?
We moved into a new home a few weeks ago, and we've got something growing in a vegetable garden box and we don't know what it is. It doesn't have any smell, and no fruit is visible yet. Any ideas what it is?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ
June 11, 2019, 06:17 PM
frayedends
Poison ivy. Not a great salad green.

These go to eleven.
June 11, 2019, 06:36 PM
dbgeek
Looks like a blackberry bush to me. My mom has them growing along a gulley.

http://identifythatplant.com/b...-or-black-raspberry/

Peter
June 11, 2019, 06:43 PM
clipper1
Looks like raspberry or dewberry to me. Is it developing any thorns yet, or could be thornless.
June 11, 2019, 06:51 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:

Poison ivy. Not a great salad green.
It sure do look similar. Here's some poison ivy:

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
June 11, 2019, 06:54 PM
ArtieS
I don't think it's poison ivy, I think it's a berry of some kind.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
June 11, 2019, 06:59 PM
.38supersig
2nd on the blackberries.

June 11, 2019, 07:01 PM
mutedblade
Blackberry. It will grow into a bush and then several.

June 11, 2019, 07:05 PM
architect
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
Blackberry. It will grow into a bush and then several.
and the birds will grab all the fruit before you can pick it, they will spread the seeds around your yard, and you'll never be able to get rid of it.
June 11, 2019, 07:18 PM
RichardC
Are there pods?

June 11, 2019, 08:18 PM
mcrimm
Our raspberry plants look like that.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham
June 11, 2019, 08:21 PM
MikeinNC
Just finished spraying dads blackberry growing all over his property with roundup....pull that crap before it gets bigger!!!!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker
June 11, 2019, 08:31 PM
gearhounds
Looks like blackberry- definitely not poison ivy. Unless you want it growing everywhere, eradicate it.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown
June 11, 2019, 08:51 PM
MattW
I don't know if it's blackberry or not, been years since I moved away from the family land that's now sold. But damn, I miss going out and picking blackberries the size of my thumb. Could head to the overgrown fence rows and within 15 minutes fill up any size container that I had with me. To this day blackberries are one of my favorites.
June 11, 2019, 10:28 PM
sorenson
Looks like blackberry; it appears that at least you have the thornless variety
s.

June 11, 2019, 10:39 PM
Beancooker

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread
June 12, 2019, 03:30 PM
BigWhup
my first thought was "tame" blackberries but the ones I had were nasty with thorns. Berries were about the size of a 50 cent piece though!
June 12, 2019, 04:01 PM
arcwelder
Not greasy/shiny looking, so not poison ivy.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

June 12, 2019, 07:23 PM
frayedends
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Not greasy/shiny looking, so not poison ivy.

I agree that it’s probably a berry of some sort. However, not all poison ivy is shiny. It can look different at different times of year. Believe me I’ve become a custom to identifying it because I am ridiculously allergic to it and end up on prednisone at even the slightest touch

These go to eleven.
June 12, 2019, 10:31 PM
Anubismp
Pull it by it's roots and bag it. Trust me you don't want blackberries. I had one then 10 then an entire backyard full of it. I need to get out there and work on it again but I'm probably going to have to rip out EVERYTHING and replant something good.