SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does this jacket exist?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does this jacket exist? Login/Join 
Picture of Expert308
posted
So I've been wearing the same jacket for like 15 years now, a GoreTex shell that I add a liner to when it gets cold(er). But it's getting a little ratty and there are a couple of things I don't like about it, so it's time for a new jacket.

What I'm looking for is something lightweight, warm enough for the 25-50 degree range, and water repellent. Not necessarily waterproof, repellent is good enough. Wind resistant would be good too, as would a hood (I don't care for umbrellas). Not bulky, so something like Thinsulate, but not enough of it that it gets to be too warm in milder weather. This is something I'll wear to commute in (sometimes I drive, sometimes I use the bus/train system which involves waiting on sidewalks or train platforms), out on the town (NOT formal), etc. It would also be worn on trips to the range and the like, so some toughness is called for. I've looked at the Carhartt stuff but didn't find one that was quite right. Mostly they're too bulky and stiff. And lastly, something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Say, under about $150 preferred, $200 max. That may be the deal breaker. Oh, and I need to be able to buy it locally to avoid ordering the wrong size, so places like Duluth Trading are out.

Am I asking for too much? It's been quite a while since I've bought outerwear.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
Underarmor make some lightweight wind proof/waterproof jackets.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes
Big Grin Wink

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Any jacket that is warm enough to wear by itself at 25 degrees will make you feel like you're in an oven at 50 degrees. Any jacket that is comfortable at 50 degrees will make you feel like an icicle at 25 degrees.

The only exception to this is (maybe) an electronically heated jacket. I've never used one.

The way to comfortably cover those temperatures is to layer.

Buy a nice, lightly insulated, waterproof shell jacket that will take you down to 50 degrees, then buy a light fleece inner layer and a light puffy inner layer.

The shell + fleece will get you to 40, the shell + puffy layer will get you to 30-35, and the fleece, puffy layer, and shell will get you to 20-25.

There are many quality examples in each category. I will mention that the Patagonia Nano Puff jacket is a real standout as the lightweight puffy inner layer. I've had one for 5+ years. It is the perfect weight and cut and has held up great.

You should be able to find all of these things at an REI. Portland has a very nice REI. REI also tends to have pretty knowledgable staff that can point you in the right direction.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I’m a BIG Northface fan. Love them..........

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arc/teryx. Pricey but great stuff. The make a wide variety jackets and shells that should suit you.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy a heated jacket. You can buy a lightweight jacket that with the battery pack will keep you warm in sun arctic temperatures.

With battery technology now they come with a rechargeable battery that will run for as much as 10 hours on some models.

Many in your price range.

Posts: 3919 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have always had good luck with Cabelas for this kind of thing. I go to them often because they are one of the few that have a selection in my size. They have any number of multi season jackets on their web site. I most recently bought a Gore-Tex shell from them for an Alaskan cruise when the temps were around your range. It compresses into a compression bag that I clipped to my belt. When the temp dropped at night a fleece liner did the trick-the shell was perfect for mornings when the sun was out. Use their sizing charts and you will usually get a good fit.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Try looking at Columbia products. I was browsing in a store in December and they had a lot of lightweight yet made for cold hiking clothes.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
A good, reasonable-quality "value" line is Columbia. You might browse their selections. I've had more than one of their jackets over the years. North Face goes up a bit in price, and Arcteryx, while very high quality, is also very high priced, well above your budget.

I own a North Face pile jacket/ shell combo that layers well and keeps me warm in fairly cold conditions.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Try looking at Columbia products. I was browsing in a store in December and they had a lot of lightweight yet made for cold hiking clothes.

Great minds and simultaneous postings.....

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
I have one of Northface's Windwall jackets and love it. Hooded and wind proof and mostly rain proof, I don't remember it ever soaking through unless it was a downpour. Throw a sweater or thermal layer underneath and it will get you close to your low temps for short periods of time. I've had 3 years or so now, most of that time i was living in Germany. Think cold & damp, hardly ever wore anything else. Price was around $170 I think, look for a sale.

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
Any jacket that is warm enough to wear by itself at 25 degrees will make you feel like you're in an oven at 50 degrees. Any jacket that is comfortable at 50 degrees will make you feel like an icicle at 25 degrees.

The only exception to this is (maybe) an electronically heated jacket. I've never used one.

The way to comfortably cover those temperatures is to layer.

Buy a nice, lightly insulated, waterproof shell jacket that will take you down to 50 degrees, then buy a light fleece inner layer and a light puffy inner layer.

The shell + fleece will get you to 40, the shell + puffy layer will get you to 30-35, and the fleece, puffy layer, and shell will get you to 20-25.

There are many quality examples in each category. I will mention that the Patagonia Nano Puff jacket is a real standout as the lightweight puffy inner layer. I've had one for 5+ years. It is the perfect weight and cut and has held up great.

You should be able to find all of these things at an REI. Portland has a very nice REI. REI also tends to have pretty knowledgable staff that can point you in the right direction.

Layering is what I've been doing. My temperature comfort range is a little lower than average. If it's above 50 I general don't even wear a jacket unless it's raining or I'm going to be out in it for a while. The shell I have now gets me down to about 40 and below that I add a Thinsulate zip-up under it that's warm but has zero water or wind resistance; that works for me down to 20-25. It seldom drops below freezing around here and when it does it usually only gets down to about 25. Once or twice in a decade it'll get down into the teens, but that's a different situation.

Some good suggestions so far. I've got a couple of errands to run this afternoon, so I might go check out REI and Cabelas, they're not very far apart. I went into a Cabelas up near Tacoma a few years ago (before they opened one here) and found most of their outerwear was made in China. Columbia Sportswear has moved a lot of their manufacturing to China recently too. That's a deal breaker for me.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Columbia ascender or northface soft shell. LL bean has some ski jackets as well that might work with your specs.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
I went into a Cabelas up near Tacoma a few years ago (before they opened one here) and found most of their outerwear was made in China. Columbia Sportswear has moved a lot of their manufacturing to China recently too. That's a deal breaker for me.

I think your chances of finding a high quality not-made-in-Asia jacket for under $200 are not very good.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Arc/teryx. Pricey but great stuff. The make a wide variety jackets and shells that should suit you.

They make great gear. I like layers & no cotton.

Silent

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Picked up a new jacket beginning of the year (direct mail from China-yeas, us made is better but most name brands are made overseas). Backcountry World was the seller but there seems to be lots of resellers. $59. Black Sharkskin Tactical Jacket

They don't last long:
https://www.ezbuygalore.com/pr...?variant=24818578563

Better price:
https://www.lifehackproducts.s...tary-tactical-jacket

Edit: okay foreign made is a deal breaker then I'd recommend Patagonia.not sure where they are made.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SigSentry,

Posts: 3519 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you want a fleece hoody with a windbreaker lining. Possibly a light wool blend instead of fleece?

I would also be interested in hearing what the forum finds here.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love Arcteryx stuff but don't like high prices so I just wait till they go on sell at REI for as much as half off. I also like Mountain Hardware and Marmot and buy them the same way. Sierra Trading post also has some of them on sale from time to time. I like to buy local when I can and often local stores will clearance stuff. I'm just willing to shop around to find a really good price on high quality stuff. Don't think I've ever paid retail for any of them.

I don't like North Face because every damned Yuppie wears them and I don't like Patagonia because they are a bunch of liberal wacko's. (some pretty good coats though).

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
From what I have seen no hiking/outdoors store will have a synthetic shell that is durable. Everything I have seen was tissue paper thin. Check a fishing/hunting store.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post