SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pulse nightclub gunman's widow (Noor Salman) found not guilty
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pulse nightclub gunman's widow (Noor Salman) found not guilty Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
Couple of interesting tidbits to come from the trial:

Gunman's father was an FBI informant.

Had nothing to do with targets being gay - he specifically searched for a place with no armed security.

He had taken a gun to Disney World, but was scared away by armed security

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/30...l-verdict/index.html

Pulse gunman's widow found not guilty

Noor Salman, the widow of the Pulse nightclub gunman, on Friday was found not guilty of providing material support to a foreign terrorist organization and not guilty of obstruction of justice. Federal jurors in Orlando weighed the charges in connection with her husband's 2016 killing spree.

A verdict has been reached in the trial of Noor Salman, the widow of the Pulse nightclub gunman, who is accused of providing material support to a foreign terrorist organization and obstruction of justice related to the 2016 Orlando massacre.

Jurors began deliberating the federal case Wednesday afternoon.

Salman, 31, was arrested in January 2017, months after her husband, Omar Mateen, killed 49 people and injured more than 50 others when he opened fire the prior June at Pulse nightclub. Mateen was killed by police who responded to the attack.

Prosecutors said Salman aided Mateen ahead of his killing spree, then lied to the FBI in an attempt to thwart the investigation.

"This case is about what she knew and what she did," Assistant US Attorney Sara Sweeney said. "The defendant didn't pull the trigger that night, but she did serve as a green light for her husband."

Salman's attorneys argued that their client was not an accomplice but a simple-minded victim of her husband's infidelity and lies.

"She doesn't go to the mosque, she searches for Hello Kitty on her website," defense attorney Charles Swift said in his closing argument.
"We're supposed to believe she had long conversations with Omar Mateen about jihads?"
Salman did not testify during the trial. If she is convicted on the terror charge, she could face life in prison.

During 10 days of testimony, jurors watched surveillance video showing Mateen buying weapons prior to the shooting and also opening fire inside the nightclub.

Security cameras also recorded Mateen going with Salman on a shopping spree for clothing, toys and jewelry at several stores in central Florida at least a week before the shooting.

After Salman's arrest, she said in a statement to the FBI that she knew in advance that her husband was going to do something violent.

"I wish I had done the right thing, but my fear held me back. I wish I had been more truthful," she wrote in the statement, which was shown in court.

FBI special agent Ricardo Enriquez testified that Salman said in several statements to the FBI that Mateen watched jihadi beheading videos, purchased a rifle and ammunition and went to a gun range to practice.

Defense attorneys cast Salman as a mother and a victim of Mateen's abuse and infidelity, as well as of the FBI's coercive investigators.

"Omar Mateen is a monster. Noor Salman is a mother, not a monster. Her only sin is she married a monster," defense attorney Linda Moreno told jurors.

Since the defense launched its case Monday, Mateen's family and friends described her as a peaceful person and a good mother. They said Salman is not capable of being "calculating," "deceptive" or "able to connect the dots."

"Nothing harmful would come out of her," a friend of Salman's who was identified only as Ms. Ahmed told jurors, according to CNN affiliate WKGM.

Bruce Frumkin, a forensic clinical psychologist, testified Tuesday, saying lack of sleep, mental issues, low IQ scores and lengthy interrogations contribute to false confessions.
Salman was interviewed by authorities for 11 hours and her IQ score is 84, which makes her "below average in intelligence," Frumkin said.

Gunman's father was FBI informant
Defense attorneys filed a motion for dismissal last weekend after prosecutors informed them that the shooter's father was an FBI informant who is under criminal investigation.

The revelation threatened to upend the case against Salman, but the judge denied the motion, saying it was not relevant to the case against her.

Seddique Mateen was a confidential FBI source at various points in time between January 2005 and June 2016, a motion filed by the defense states, citing an email from Sweeney.

The email also states that Seddique Mateen is being investigated for money transfers to Turkey and Afghanistan after documents were found in his home on June 12, 2016, the day of the Pulse attack. The dates of the money transfers were between March 16, 2016, and June 5, 2016, according to the email.

Defense attorneys argued that if they had known about Seddique Mateen's FBI status, they may have argued other theories during the trial, including that the Mateens, rather than Salman, conspired to support ISIS, according to the motion.

Seddique Mateen had been on the prosecution's witness list but was not called to testify in the trial.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"Noor"

Stupid fucking name

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
12 jurors, 6 alternates. 12 women, 6 men.

“Noor Salman is a mother, not a monster. Her only sin is she married a monster.”

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Fuck her and her story.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
. . . Had nothing to do with targets being gay - he specifically searched for a place with no armed security.

He had taken a gun to Disney World, but was scared away by armed security . . .

You mean the presence of guns saved lives?

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
The homosexual community in Central Florida wanted this woman's scalp from the day she was charged, yet every legal review I read said the prosecution didn't have the evidence to convict her. I guess all those legal reviews were accurate. Homosexuals in Central Florida are still completely invested in their version of reality wherein Omar Mateen is a flaming homophobe, hell bent on killing homosexuals above all else. This whole shooting has been a cluster from the very beginning, primarily due to the corrupt behavior of the FBI.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
. . . Had nothing to do with targets being gay - he specifically searched for a place with no armed security.

Only the RIGHT guns; civilians with guns are dangerous, and nothing but trouble. That will be the lefts response.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Given the recent state of our FBI, I don't trust the father at all. The whole family seems slimy to me.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
The homosexual community in Central Florida wanted this woman's scalp from the day she was charged, yet every legal review I read said the prosecution didn't have the evidence to convict her. I guess all those legal reviews were accurate. Homosexuals in Central Florida are still completely invested in their version of reality wherein Omar Mateen is a flaming homophobe, hell bent on killing homosexuals above all else.

I've never bought the line that his choice of targets was only due to the lack of armed security. Islam has strict prohibitions about homosexuality. I think that the shooter saw this as a twofer: No security, and a bunch of LGBT targets to make it a sure path to Allah.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
quote:
The homosexual community in Central Florida wanted this woman's scalp from the day she was charged, yet every legal review I read said the prosecution didn't have the evidence to convict her. I guess all those legal reviews were accurate. Homosexuals in Central Florida are still completely invested in their version of reality wherein Omar Mateen is a flaming homophobe, hell bent on killing homosexuals above all else.

I've never bought the line that his choice of targets was only due to the lack of armed security. Islam has strict prohibitions about homosexuality. I think that the shooter saw this as a twofer: No security, and a bunch of LGBT targets to make it a sure path to Allah.
Perhaps, but everything that came out of discovery for this trail indicated that sexual orientation was not a factor in determining where Mateen would commit this crime. Lack of security, and a fish in a barrel environment, was.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
quote:

Perhaps, but everything that came out of discovery for this trail indicated that sexual orientation was not a factor in determining where Mateen would commit this crime. Lack of security, and a fish in a barrel environment, was.

I can't disagree. However I have lost faith in the jurisprudence system, somewhat akin to journalism, both practice confirmation bias in our society, manipulate data to support their desired outcome.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:

Only the RIGHT guns; civilians with guns are dangerous, and nothing but trouble. That will be the lefts response.

The lefts view is "guns for me, not for thee". Roll Eyes

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
There was a police officer at the front door of the club. The shooter sure didn't care about that.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

Had nothing to do with targets being gay - he specifically searched for a place with no armed security.

Just a clarification. The idea the shooting had nothing do with the targets being gay but with no armed security, that wasn't from the article you posted, right? I read the article twice and saw no mention of it.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
There was a police officer at the front door of the club. The shooter sure didn't care about that.
If you're familiar with the way Pulse operated, they had one OPD officer sitting on a stool in a tight enclosed area at the front door (which was also confined and tucked away from the parking area). Given where he was located, coupled with the physical environment, he had zero chance of seeing and responding to Mateen when he approached the building. The officer was primarily there to deal with drunken fights and squabbles by patrons, not as any real security for the facility. The physical layout of Pulse was one of its biggest vulnerabilities.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

Just a clarification. The idea the shooting had nothing do with the targets being gay but with no armed security, that wasn't from the article you posted, right? I read the article twice and saw no mention of it.

Here:

https://theintercept.com/2018/...re-including-motive/

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you're familiar with the way Pulse operated,......

Not that there's anything wrong with that.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Doing this from memory, but didn't the officer on site trade fire with the gunman at one point?

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
If you're familiar with the way Pulse operated, they had one OPD officer sitting on a stool in a tight enclosed area at the front door (which was also confined and tucked away from the parking area). Given where he was located, coupled with the physical environment, he had zero chance of seeing and responding to Mateen when he approached the building. The officer was primarily there to deal with drunken fights and squabbles by patrons, not as any real security for the facility. The physical layout of Pulse was one of its biggest vulnerabilities.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
statement from jury foreman:

https://hotair.com/archives/20...ew-still-not-guilty/

“As foreperson of the jury in the Noor Salman trial I felt it important that I present a juror’s perspective of the verdicts. I am giving you my perspective, and not speaking for the entire jury. My initial inclination was not to communicate with the news media at all, however once I returned home a watched the news coverage of the reactions to the verdicts I felt compelled to at least clarify several misconceptions.

First, I want to express my deepest sympathy to family and friends of the victims of this senseless tragedy. I understand the desire to hold someone accountable for this heinous act of violence. Omar Mateen is dead. He cannot be punished. It is only logical the world would look next to Noor Salman.

These past few days have been very difficult. We listened carefully to opening arguments, testimonies from both prosecution and defense witnesses, viewed many exhibits and heard closing statements. We received many pages of documentation from the court outlining very specific instructions related to the charges and how we should apply the law. We used these detailed instructions, our courtroom notes, and all evidence presented by both sides in our deliberations.

Having said that, I want to make several things very clear. A verdict of not guilty did NOT mean that we thought Noor Salman was unaware of what Omar Mateen was planning to do. On the contrary we were convinced she did know.

She may not have known what day, or what location, but she knew. However, we were not tasked with deciding if she was aware of a potential attack. The charges were aiding and abetting and obstruction of justice. I felt the both the prosecution and the defense did an excellent job presenting their case.

I wish that the FBI had recorded their interviews with Ms. Salman as there were several significant inconsistencies with the written summaries of her statements. The bottom line is that, based on the letter of the law, and the detailed instructions provided by the court, we were presented with no option but to return a verdict of not guilty.”

Posts: 19572 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post