SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Professor Steven Hawking dies, age 76
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Professor Steven Hawking dies, age 76 Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
quote:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43396008

Physicist Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76, his family has said.

The Briton was known for his groundbreaking work with black holes and relativity, and was the author of several popular science books including A Brief History of Time.

His children, Lucy, Robert and Tim, said: "We are deeply saddened that our beloved father passed away today.

"He was a great scientist and an extraordinary man whose work and legacy will live on for many years."

...and thanks for all the fish...

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Now he's free.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
sad news

what a great intellect to think his way through physics

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Probably still alive in a parallel universe.

Quite something that he actually lived as long as he did.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
He and Einstein are probably knocking back a few cold ones.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
He is definitely one who will not be forgotten. I wonder what he is working on now?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
And the universe returns back to being what it is - unknown.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
He dead now.

Interesting man. Trapped in a crippled body, brilliant mind. I wonder if he experienced any emotional anguish over the coupling of his body and mind. I would never get anything accomplished even if just to add 1+1.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
He made some really strange statements at times.
One of the top living mathematicians with an IQ of ~160+, by most estimates I see that put him only 5 or 10 above Donald Trump.

I saw him interviewed on TV years ago during which he said he did not rule out the existence of God, and that God could have been created during the big bang... but he did not believe there was a Heaven.

He went on to state that "Absolutely nothing" existed before the big bang... To witch I wondered... then what blew up?

I seem to recall he later abandoned the single big bang theory in favor of a repeating series of big bang events.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I certainly never cared for his views on religion, given that he was an atheist. But, he did have some quite wise views about other things.

Advice he gave his children:

"One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away."

On fate vs. free will:

"I have noticed that even people who claim everything is predetermined and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Big Grin

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Did he outlive the doctors that predicted his early demise?

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I certainly never cared for his views on religion, given that he was an atheist.

Where do you get that he was an atheist? I have a couple of his books and it seems he leans the other way. Of course, people change over time.

Anyway, we lost good one.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, what's this? No more outrageous predictions that go unchallenged because he's been assigned the title of "smartest guy who ever lived" AND he's in a wheelchair?

Not to worry. I'm certain that his latest dire warning about man and the planet will be broadcast to the world at his funeral, and at regular intervals by those who deified the guy.

I didn't introduce politics into this thread. Stephen Hawking did:

https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/31...demagogue/index.html

https://www.aol.com/article/ne...the-future/23295273/

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-40461726

http://www.independent.co.uk/n...-party-a8255086.html

He was an anti-Brexit Trump hater and I won't miss him one single bit. As smart as he was supposed to be, he didn't love his country, nor see the value of its independence, and he meddled in our political affairs wth his ignorant opinions.

AMF

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
Genius or not, that Israel-hating man will not be missed in my household.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, that, too? I wasn't aware that he was an anti-Semite as well.

What about all those brilliant astrophysicists who haven't written a book for laymen, and who don't capture society's imagination by slowly melting into a wheelchair? Too bad for them, huh? They have the same brain power as Hawking. They just didn't make themselves conspicuous, nor set their selves up as the smartest people who ever lived. No, Hawking had that market cornered.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
Only 76???

He shoulda taken better care of himself!!!

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4583 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
RIP Stephen Hawking

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the Big Bang Theory will have an episode immortalizing him...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
What about all those brilliant astrophysicists who haven't written a book for laymen, and who don't capture society's imagination by slowly melting into a wheelchair?

That is an epic turn of phrase.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
RIP Stephen Hawking

Wrong big bang

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post