SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Professor Steven Hawking dies, age 76
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Professor Steven Hawking dies, age 76 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Worlds smartest man? Really? He had 56 years to get his disease cured and last I heard, he hadn't made any progress in curing it. NONE! Nor it appears, had he even started.

Worlds smartest man my ass.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I guess he's finding out right now if he was right or wrong about that statement:

"We are each free to believe what we want and it is my view that the simplest explanation is there is no God. No one created the universe and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realization. There is probably no heaven, and no afterlife either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe, and for that, I am extremely grateful."

He might be eating those words through a straw right about now.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
Worlds smartest man? Really? He had 56 years to get his disease cured and last I heard, he hadn't made any progress in curing it. NONE! Nor it appears, had he even started.

What in the hell are you going on about?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

That seems...."harsh". LOL!

As to the "simplest explanation".
Actually, when you consider the problems caused by our lack of understanding of the Big Bang, the "simplest" explanation seems to be that God said "Let there be light."
We already have a name for phenomena that are beyond all scientific explanation and seem to defy logic and all the currently-known laws of physics: "Miracles".

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:
I guess he's finding out right now if he was right or wrong about that statement:

"We are each free to believe what we want and it is my view that the simplest explanation is there is no God. No one created the universe and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realization. There is probably no heaven, and no afterlife either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe, and for that, I am extremely grateful."

I have a friend who believes the same as Hawking does here, there is nothing after this life, we become fertilizer. I once told him if he was right, he could never brag about it after he died. But if I was right (I believe in God and an afterlife), I could rub it in every day, forever. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

What in the hell are you going on about?

Maybe he thinks "Rocket Surgeon" really exists? Sorry, that's the best I got.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:

I have a friend who believes the same as Hawking does here, there is nothing after this life, we become fertilizer. I once told him if he was right, he could never brag about it after he died. But if I was right (I believe in God and an afterlife), I could rub it in every day, forever. Smile

I really don't care if someone doesn't believe in God. What I hate though is militant Atheists who go out of their way to insult those that do.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Isn't that the guy who claims the Earth is 6000 years old?

In fact, it is. About that time, Mesopotamia was beginning to be a "thing. " The specific rock you are standing on in time/space however, began to coalesce from debris orbiting a G2V type star about 4.5 billion years prior to that....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:...I really don't care if someone doesn't believe in God. What I hate though is militant Atheists who go out of their way to insult those that do.

Our neighbor is a soft atheist of sorts, somewhat outspoken in his views, won't believe in a God until there is scientific proof. (He also says man-made global warming is as solid science as is the law of gravity Roll Eyes ).

But a few years ago he was about to have some intricate surgery, knocked on our door to ask my wife if she would pray for him. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Short bus dropped off a bus load in this thread.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
"God is dead." Steven Hawking

"Steven Hawking is dead." God

Posts: 5734 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
In my view it takes an awful lot of Faith to believe the grand design of the universe came together from one Big Bang or series of Bangs.

Nor did he address where all that hydrogen came from that was claimed to cause the big bang, or the magnetic force to pull all those hydrogen atoms across the universe into one spot.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tuckerrnr1:
"God is dead." Steven Hawking

"Steven Hawking is dead, and he's not here with me." God

Hmm...

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwood4
posted Hide Post
"Short bus dropped off a bus load in this thread.'

Your point Ulteran?

Posts: 543 | Registered: November 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
In the beginning there was nothing, then there was something, more or less. Maybe... The End (of the beginning).

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Sigmonkey...you are my hero Smile...just sayin'

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
In the beginning there was nothing, then there was something, more or less. Maybe... The End (of the beginning).
And where did that something come from, and what acted upon it to cause it to form into planets, stars, moons, etc? That's what ole Steve and I have in common. Neither of us knows the answer to that question. But only one of us is honest enough to admit it. Wink

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post