SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Interesting find in some firewood
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting find in some firewood Login/Join 
posted
A neighbor removed a couple of Live Oaks from his property. Why he would cut a couple of 100+ year old trees is beyond me. Interesting find though.

Appears to be a 45 cal bullet cut cleanly by the chainsaw. Any guess as to how long it's been in there?

Posts: 300 | Location: Canyon Lake, TX | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
No WAG from me, but that is pretty cool. It's been in there quite a while, that's sure.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Beavertooth. (WAG, mostly joking)

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
count the rings,looks like about forty years to kill the tree.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Wow - had to be just at the right level; incredible.

Some places trees are a nuisance - here they are considered weeds ...

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
count the rings,looks like about forty years to kill the tree.

Tried to count the rings and no luck. The tree appeared healthy before meeting the chainsaw. The hollow part just to the right had bullet fragments so someone was using it for target practice. I have found bailing and barbed wire before, but no bullets.

Posts: 300 | Location: Canyon Lake, TX | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Ever have a life oak in your yard, trees shed leaves in the spring, for weeks, and weeks, then open up nasty pollen pods spewing huge amounts of yellow spores of death. I have one, won't cut it as its too nice but have about 5 around me, they are major PIA.

That bullet find is cool, make a footstool out of it...

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Remember that bullet would penetrate several inches of even oak. It is had to say how long ago it was fired into the tree.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Oh, cool. I guess when it was shot the bark was where the obvious change to the rings are, and where the cracks that run perpendicular to the rings stop. Point of entry for the upper wound maybe from the top right corner of the photo, and above the cut?

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Looks like wood rot from the outside to half way towards the center. I assume the tree was dead.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
That appears to be a .45-70, and not .45ACP, and there is a great disparity in penetration of the two.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2274 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
Enlarging the picture, it looks like the bullet has a jacket. If so, that would help to narrow down the age range.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I just had 6 old oak trees cut down. 1 of them smoked the chain on the chainsaw. After we got it down and split the trunk, we discovered that the tree had grown around a rock slightly larger than a baseball.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Check under the ground for truffles.. Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Ever have a life oak in your yard, trees shed leaves in the spring, for weeks, and weeks, then open up nasty pollen pods spewing huge amounts of yellow spores of death. I have one, won't cut it as its too nice but have about 5 around me, they are major PIA.

That bullet find is cool, make a footstool out of it...

In this part of the Texas hill country your choice of native trees is Live Oak and Cedars. I have ~55 Live Oaks on my property and you are right about the mess. They make a hell of a mess but it's what we have. I damn sure am not cutting any down.The leaves do make a pretty good mulch for next years garden.

The piece of wood in the OP got loaded up for firewood. I did pull the bullet out when I helped load it. I claimed the lowest cut at the base. Cut nice and square and the wife all ready found a place for it as a plant holder on the back porch.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Oak rings are harder to count because of the "rays", which run perpendicular to the rings. These same rays are what make quarter sawn oak boards so beautiful.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post