SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today's Aviation Quiz
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today's Aviation Quiz Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
BOEING 737-800
STANDARD TAKEOFF
NORMAL SPEED
FLAP ONE
GOOD PILOT

(If you are a pilot, work in the aviation industry, or Googled the answer, feel free to vote, but don’t ruin it for others.)

Question:
At the point where the aircraft attains maximum rotation (@Vr), how far normally is the tail from the surface of the runway?

Choices:
The thickness of a penny.
About one foot.
Exactly one meter (+/- a couple mm).
Just under the height of a 6 foot man.
Some 2 stories (6 meters or about 20 feet).

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No reason for an ALL CAPS subject line

Posts: 107511 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^Sorry, Para. Fixed.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Far enough so that the paint stays on the bird.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I don't know but I have been on a 727 when the tail scraped on takeoff.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

I wonder how often tailstrikes really occur. They rarely cause major damage, but I believe if it's on takeoff the plane is required to return back to the airport for inspection.

And sometimes they do cause something major. A tailstrike that happened 7 years previous led to a faulty repair on a rear bulkhead that blew out in flight and caused the crash of JAL 123.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Kkina, you are assuming that the crew notices. I myself have never had one, but I know one or two who have (neither critical) and neither one of them had any idea. The only indication was missing paint on the plane, or on the tail skid plate.

Also, FWIW, most of the tail strikes I have heard of have been due to over-flaring on the landing rather than over-rotation on takeoff. I'm sure there are those just ready to whip out a plethora of statistics...but I'm not that guy. Big Grin

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
"Did you feel that?"

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
"Feel what? All I want to feel is my bed." Big Grin

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The original question referred to take-off. Otto's post suggests that tail strikes might be more common on landing.

kkina's "Did you feel that?" post, just above with the photo of the TRANSAERO airplane, looks like it's landing, not taking off. Note the smoke rolling back from the tires.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I'd swear that's the noise I heard too!

Posts: 242 | Location: Gig Harbor WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
kkina's "Did you feel that?" post, just above with the photo of the TRANSAERO airplane, looks like it's landing, not taking off. Note the smoke rolling back from the tires.

That's correct. The Transaero looks like a (hard) landing. Posted just for humor purposes (guess it's not so amusing if you're there).

I heard that tailstrikes are more common on T/O, but haven't seen actual statistics. That would actually be a good thing, as landings would be far more dangerous due to the downward momentum of the aircraft descending adding so much more force.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I guessed a meter but have a problem with the word “exactly” in that choice.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The one-footers have it. Normal clearance is 31 cm, or about 1 foot.

I was surprised myself. I thought it would be a huge amount, like 20 feet. If it's just a foot, no wonder tailstrikes happen sometimes.

I guess it's true that airplanes are designed to fly, not take off, land, or taxi.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Interesting article I found related to tail strikes from the Boeing web site.

https://www.boeing.com/commerc...RO_Q107_article2.pdf

If I read correctly, a 12.5 degree pitch on takeoff will cause a tail strike.
And in the case of a 747-400, one would have about 100cm clearance at 10 degrees.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
OK, so I had to dig out the book just for grins.

On our 767-200 typical liftoff pitch angle at flaps 5 is 11.1 degrees with a tail strike pitch of 13.1 degrees with a typical flyaway clearance of 25 inches on the tail.

On the -300, the liftoff target pitch is 7.5 degrees with a tailstrike pitch of 9.6. Tail clearance is similar at 24 inches.

This points to an interesting gotcha when flying a fleet with different length airframes. As you can see, the tailstrike pitch on the long plane is actually LESS than the flyaway pitch on the shorter plane. This is why slow steady pitch of ~2 degrees per second is critical to give the plane time to generate lift and start lifting off before the critical angles are achieved while still on the ground.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Question for Otto: I have never been in the front office of a modern Boeing, nor in a simulator for one.

I would have assumed that a computer generated Flight Director presentation would command the correct pitch attitude for takeoff. Not true?

Depending on options that are equipped, many of the 36 series Bonanzas that I have flown have TakeOff / GoAround button on the yoke. Press this and the FD comes alive and commands the initial climb attitude for hand flying, and of course the AP can be engaged to follow the FD commands.

I would expect something more sophisticated on the equipment that you fly.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Most use 5 flaps, depending on performance limitations.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Mr. V-Tail...our Flight Manual (FM) states to rotate at Vr "without delay" (to avoid tailstrike and tire overspeed) with a rotation rate of 2.0-2.5 degrees per second up to 15 degree initial pitch. It also states to NOT rely on flight director pitch command bars as guidance to achieve this. I'm going to wager this is the common guidance in every airline's B737 FM.

As to Otto's point about there being differences for longer-bodied airframes, the B737 manual makes no distinction with respect to whether we're in a -700, -800, -900, -900ER, or MAX-9/10. It's the same takeoff procedure/technique for all variants of the B737. However, and again to Otto's point, the likelihood of a tailstrike due to improper/over-rotation would be higher on the -900ER vs. the -700 due to its fuselage length. "Generic" takeoff technique has been established so that we can rotate the exact same way throughout the B737 fleet and not cause a tailstrike.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Question for Otto: I have never been in the front office of a modern Boeing, nor in a simulator for one.

I would have assumed that a computer generated Flight Director presentation would command the correct pitch attitude for takeoff. Not true?

Depending on options that are equipped, many of the 36 series Bonanzas that I have flown have TakeOff / GoAround button on the yoke. Press this and the FD comes alive and commands the initial climb attitude for hand flying, and of course the AP can be engaged to follow the FD commands.

I would expect something more sophisticated on the equipment that you fly.

On the 737 the Flight Director becomes active when you press the TOGA button on the thrust lever. However the FD only provides flight path guidance, it does not provide "rate" guidance. Our manual warns against trying to use the FD for rotation as the pitch rate may be too fast and induce a tail strike. I believe some aircraft/airlines have a tail strike pitch limit displayed either on the PFD or HUD depending on installation. We don't have anything like that at the LUV airline, we do have a TO pitch report you can access after takeoff that will show your actual pitch attitude on takeoff and the limit. I believe in the -800 the limit is around 11*, I've never seen anything close to that.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post