SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    USS Arizona survivor rejoins shipmates, interred aboard ship
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USS Arizona survivor rejoins shipmates, interred aboard ship Login/Join 
posted
RIP Master Chief.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — A veteran who survived the attack on Pearl Harbor and died last year at age 94 has been reunited with his fallen shipmates on the sunken USS Arizona.

Raymond Haerry was interred on the ship in a ceremony that his granddaughter says was solemn and beautiful.

Haerry was 19 years old when bombs started falling on his battleship on Dec. 7, 1941. He never returned to Pearl Harbor while he lived because the memories were too painful. As he neared the end of his life, he told his family he'd like to be laid to rest there.

Haerry died Sept. 27 in Rhode Island. Five Arizona survivors remain.

Haerry's granddaughter, Jessica Marino, traveled from New Jersey to Hawaii with her family for Saturday's ceremony. She handed his urn to divers, who placed it within the ship's sunken hull. Hundreds of sailors and Marines are entombed there.

"That was the point at which I kind of lost it," Marino said. "It was really sad, but also really sweet to see. It was amazing."

Only USS Arizona survivors can be interred on the ship. Haerry served for 25 years in the Navy, retiring as a master chief.

He's the 42nd survivor to rejoin his shipmates, according to the National Park Service.

Spokesman Jay Blount said these ceremonies help bring closure to the families, allow sailors to return to their shipmates and raise awareness of the sacrifices made 75 years ago. The National Park Service and the Navy conducted the interment.

Rear Adm. John Fuller talked about Haerry's courage— not the absence of fear, but a deep abiding belief in something greater than oneself.

"I can't help but think about him being reunited into these simple, hallowed spaces. The calm that comes from being again with your crew, and the lessons we can learn from all he taught us," said Fuller, commander of Navy Region Hawaii and Naval Surface Group Middle Pacific.

Marino said she knows her grandfather better now.

"I know this part of his life that really did shape him," she said. "To be a part of getting him back to his ship and with his shipmates, it's an honor for me."

Health issues prevented Raymond Haerry Jr. from joining his daughter in Hawaii. It was Haerry Jr. who pieced together the narrative of what happened in Pearl Harbor by asking questions of his father over 50 years.

Haerry was trying to get ammunition when a large bomb detonated, igniting fuel and powder magazines, Haerry Jr. told The Associated Press in October. Most of the bow was instantly separated and the ship was lifted out of the water.

Haerry Jr. said his father swam through flaming waters, sweeping his arms in front of him to push the flames away. He shot at Japanese planes from shore. Later, he helped retrieve corpses from the harbor.

The ship lost 1,177 men, nearly four-fifths of its crew. At first, Haerry's family was surprised by his request to be laid to rest there, but soon they understood.

"That brotherhood doesn't go away and as he got closer to the end of life, it resonated with him," Marino said. "He didn't want to see the site or relive that disaster, but he wanted to relive that camaraderie."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...red-aboard-ship.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tanner,

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
R.I.P. Master Chief

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Three cheers for Master Chief Haerry.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Fair winds and following seas, Master Chief.

Posts: 2774 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your service. God Speed.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
*Salute* and RIP, Master Chief.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21844 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I didn't know this was allowed. I think it is absolutely fantastic that he gets to rest there and the Navy helps with divers. Sometimes our country does dumb things but then we do the simple things like this with incredible grace and honor

Mark.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
RIP Master Chief Haerry

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Now hear this, now hear this, Petty Officer Haerry, Your shore leave is canceled. Report back to your appointed place of duty and assume the watch on the USS Arizona.”

Thank you for your service Chief, Godspeed..

Posts: 13810 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
<salute>

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
That was an eye opener watching recent dates onboard the memorial until someone explained it.

Just remembering the experience gives me the chills.

RIP.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
Great story, and a great granddaughter to follow through with his wishes.

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
As it should be.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The greatest generation. Rest easy now with your brothers in arms. RIP

Posts: 4762 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
That is the coolest. RIP my good man.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
RIP

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Incredible story. Welcome home, Chief!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Aloha Oe Master Chief.

May you walk closely to Lono and Kanaloa and may they keep you safe on the next voyage of life.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
Very touching. RIP.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Hand salute.

Go with God and your shipmates, Master Chief.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post