New
Find
Notify
Tools

Funny story Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
So we've got this guy at work who is from Serbia. Mid 40s, been around. Rumors are he was Serbian special forces/intelligence and did insane shit in his past life. He fought in multiple battles, has been shot two or three times, speaks 15 languages, etc. You can imagine the type, but it's particularly believable because he never talks about that stuff, and he doesn't have to, because he kicks ass and takes names every single night, and all the stories are completely within reason once you spend about 20 minutes with the guy.

Oh, and keep in mind he has a thick Serbian accent, as this story flows...

So last night there was a robbery. Many people responded, K9 tracked, helicopter helicopted, etc., etc., etc. Bad guy got away.

About an hour after the robbery pics were sent out of the suspect from surveillance video.

Shortly after the robbery, our Serb friend gets out with a shady-acting character who gives a bad name and takes off running. Serb officer calls it out over the radio, then catches the dude after a couple of hundred yards, gets into a fisticuffs with the fellow, whollops him upside the head after the suspect hits him with a stick, stopping the immediate issue: "I catch him, but he hits me with stick, so I punch him in side of head and so he stops".

The thing that I couldn't stop laughing at, when he was telling us the story a little later, was what came next. The bad guy tells him he is going to shoot him in the back and kill him. Serb replies (in his thick accent and completely candid) "Ok, you shoot me in back. I have never been shot in back before, I want see what it is like".

Needless to say, the bad guy had warrants and was the robbery suspect. But I still can't stop laughing every time I say "Ok, you shoot me in back..." in my head with that Serbian accent. Absolutely hilarious. Hilarious because I can totally see him actually saying it.

Someone was telling me that he was about to go arrest a bad guy a few weeks ago and the sergeant warned him that the bad guy carries a gun. Serbian Officer responded (again with that accent) "I don't know if you aware, Sarge, but I carry gun also". Big Grin

I actually put the guy in for a commendation about a year ago after he talked a suicidal subject down. So he's not just a crazy gung-ho dude. But holy shit he's a character.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
That's gotta make coming in to work a little easier. Thanks for the story Chongo, that's some funny shiite! Be safe

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just having a good time
Picture of ragman
posted Hide Post
Loved that story. That' a keeper for sure. Smile

" I didn't fail the test,I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1489 | Location: N. C. | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
"I don't know if you aware, Sarge, but I carry gun also". Big Grin

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8887 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Now, that guy would make a good Movie cop.

Shake his hand and tell I am glad he's on "our" side!

Be safe out there.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43884 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
There's a member here, Slippery Pete, maybe. His avatar was the bad guy from the movie Fargo. His CUT was You need cow. I lift cow. I had that same accent in my head every time I read his CUT.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Funny story

Indeed! Big Grin

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Fun stuff there, thanks for sharing. I knew a guy from Russia like that. He wasn’t that kind of tough, but he had a similar dry sense of humor. I guess having lived over there for the majority of their life, our 1st world issues aren’t too shocking.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
"Ok, shoot me in back." LMAO Big Grin

You need this Serb as your partner Chongo!!!

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Great story! I love guys like that, truly one of a kind. Your fellow officer reminds me of a Israeli I worked with, fought in the Six Day battle as a tank commander. His accent and antics bring fond memories.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of }BuLL
posted Hide Post
Great story! Thanks for passing it on.

Posts: 131 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Does he carry a Steyr scout rifle and wear Adidas sweat suits?

Seriously, sounds like a great guy.

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

HA! That's the first thing that popped into my head as well after reading that story.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Last car dealership I worked at hired a Serb. He has been here since the early 1990's and still has a heavy accent. When one of the other parts men told him I am half Serb he came up to the counter and spoke to me in Serbian. I had to tell him "Whoa dude, I'm second generation here, I got no idea what you are saying". So he took it as a personal mission to reacquaint me with the language.

One day he got me good, hands me a piece of paper and said "translate it". So I did, well translated into English it was a well used two word phrase used in the department. So he walked by a little later and asked me if I knew what he wrote. I smiled and gave him the single finger salute, the universal language.

But on a serious note, one morning he walked by me and said (here phonetically) "Kayko see". Right then I was stunned, I said in response "Fine, how are you?" He asked me how I was doing. I remembered that from the times my late father would talk to his siblings or to his mother, they all spoke Serbian as a second language. I had to tell "Z" "I haven't heard that in almost fifty years and I still remembered it." The strange things that come back!

Ask your co-worker if he knows where Kikinda is. That is where my grandparents emigrated from about 1913.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want that a guy for a neighbor!!

He Is No Fool Who Gives What He Cannot Keep,
To Gain That Which He Cannot Lose!

Posts: 593 | Location: central nebraska | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Sounds like there will be many more stories from him.

I tell you now because I never did and wish I would have.

Write this shit down and retain it in a computer file or or a journal . You will thank me later if I am still kicking. There are stories that I have experienced that the sharp edges have dulled over time or I just don’t remember them until a bunch of us are sitting around a camp fire remembering the old days.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post