SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Passenger Finds Air Marshal’s Loaded Gun on Delta Flight
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Passenger Finds Air Marshal’s Loaded Gun on Delta Flight Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Another example of man's inhumanity to man.

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
How do you tell a flight attendant that you have a gun from the loo? I can envision the flight attendants freaking out at the sight of a passenger with a pistol in their hand.

Do you leave it in the loo and tell the FA what you found and let them get it?

Do you bring it out and say "Excuse me, but I have this...."?

Unload and disassemble it and hand the FA the pile of parts?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31429 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:

A former federal air marshal familiar with the situation told CNN that newly hired air marshals do not currently receive on-the-job training and said this incident might have been avoided if the individual had been paired with a senior air marshal.

"She made a mistake because she wasn't given the appropriate tools to succeed," the former air marshal said.

So, NOBODY told her, in an official training environment: "Don't leave your weapon laying around for a random passenger to pick up"?

Yeah, they need 'more training' to address this.

Are they saying they don't get ANY training? Use of force? Shoot/don't shoot scenarios? Legal authority to enforce federal law? They just give them a gun and a first class ticket and let them fly for free? Where do I sign up. . .

quote:
"Air marshals work in punishing conditions, labor under poor leadership and have seen their law enforcement functions curtailed by an administration that lacks vision. The problem is not the air marshals, it's the TSA," he added.
The Federal Air Marshal Service has long been criticized for poor management and lack of proof that what they do -- fly undercover to monitor for and respond to threats -- significantly improves security.

Yeah, it's all Trump's fault. This NEVER would have happened with zippy the wonder turtle in the White House. Roll Eyes

quote:
A CNN report in 2015 exposed the long hours, chaotic schedules and use of drugs and alcohol among federal air marshals, which has led to suicides and suicide attempts by the agents.

Yeah, training will fix this problem. Day 16, Hour 9: Don't Do Drugs or get blasted while carrying a firearm on a commercial flight.

I was wondering, too, about the proper way to identify this to a FA. I guess the best approach would be to not even touch it, call over a FA, and show him/her the weapon (and pray to God they have the sense to not touch it themselves).

The fact that the guilty air marshal wasn't IMMEDIATELY fired (or at least suspended) is mind-boggling.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Smart carry isn't on the approved list.
It also doesn't appear to be an approved policy either. Wink

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
I know a policeman who found a feds weapons on the coat hook of a stall.

Unloaded it, placed the gun and magazine in the bowl.

Took a dump on top of it and then called them.

What a jag off thing to do. If true.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JordanR
posted Hide Post
quote:
"She made a mistake because she wasn't given the appropriate tools to succeed," the former air marshal said.

John Casaretti, president of the Air Marshal Association and a former air marshal, told CNN the TSA should implement additional training for newly hired air marshals.

John Casaretti, please implement this new training technique.

Take a sticky note and write "don't leave your gun in the shitter" backwards and paste that thing directly in the center of her forehead so she can read it when she looks in the mirror.

Then issue each passenger a sign that says either "shoot me", based on TSA profiling techniques, or "don't shoot me" and have them hang it around their necks.

Problem solved.

“We’re going to win so much. You’re going to get tired of winning. You’re going to say, ‘Please, Mr. President, I have a headache. Please, don’t win so much,’” he vowed.

Posts: 564 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
How do you tell a flight attendant that you have a gun from the loo? I can envision the flight attendants freaking out at the sight of a passenger with a pistol in their hand.

If it were I, I'd leave the gun exactly where it was and tell one of the Flight Attendants about it. And I'd stand in front of the stall to keep anyone else from going in until I could tell a FA.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Ok, maybe its because I'm sitting in seat 14C on a Delta flight right now but the pile of parts comment really made me laugh. Not so much that but the air marshal getting the weapon back and probably having no idea how to get it back together.

I tell you, I certainly feel safer now knowing that there might be an air marshal on this flight with little or no OTJ.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The only hope you have here is that the passengers have above average common sense reasoning and judgment. {GREATER THAN YOUR AVERAGE AIR MARSHALL} You would be shocked how often the first response would be to yell I FOUND A GUN!! Maybe Eddie Eagle could help out here, along with a sign to please wash your hands and remove your gun from the bathroom.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
"Do I return it??"

Depends if I'm enroute to my home airport Wink

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4572 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well - I feel better now about leaving my phone in one.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Well - I feel better now about leaving my phone in one.

Was it loaded?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post