SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Passenger Finds Air Marshal’s Loaded Gun on Delta Flight
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Passenger Finds Air Marshal’s Loaded Gun on Delta Flight Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
1. Sit on the throne.
2. Place piece in trousers, between your feet.

I've done that on several occasions with knives and my phone and forgot they were there, only to have them end up somewhere I did not like. Eek

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps an instructional video is needed. Kind of like the Colon guard commercial.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Finders keepers, I say.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
Its not just the feds. We take several reports every month of this veru thing with citizens and its allways in the bathroom.
In an airplane crapper?

No I am a city cop. Usually in regular bathrooms stalls and almost always with IWB holsters.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
I always un-holster and it goes either on top of the paper dispenser or, if there is one on the baby seat on the side wall. Never forgotten it yet. For several reason above I would not put it in my trousers.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I found an M16 one time.

We let him sweat it out for awhile, but eventually gave it back.

He never did it again.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Ah, you see it's not the agent's fault, it's the fault of the TSA and Air Marshall's Service. Forgetting your weapon is just a mistake. Roll Eyes

I wonder if the passenger who found it freaked out.

(CNN) A federal air marshal on a transatlantic flight left her loaded service weapon in the airplane's bathroom, where it was discovered by a passenger who gave it to a crew member before it was returned to the federal agent, CNN has learned.

The incident happened aboard Delta flight 221, which was traveling from Manchester, United Kingdom, to New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport on April 6, and was reported to the air marshal's management days later.

In a statement to CNN the TSA would confirm only that it is aware of an incident involving a federal air marshal on that date, and it is reviewing the circumstances.

A Delta spokesperson said the airline is also aware of the incident but declined to provide further comment.

Sources within the Federal Air Marshal Service said the agent in question is a relatively new hire who should have been placed on leave for leaving her gun. Instead, the agent remains on active flight duty, CNN has been told.

A former federal air marshal familiar with the situation told CNN that newly hired air marshals do not currently receive on-the-job training and said this incident might have been avoided if the individual had been paired with a senior air marshal.

"She made a mistake because she wasn't given the appropriate tools to succeed," the former air marshal said.

John Casaretti, president of the Air Marshal Association and a former air marshal, told CNN the TSA should implement additional training for newly hired air marshals.

"These rare incidents must be thoroughly investigated and local managers should take appropriate corrective action," Casaretti said. "A field training officer program and thorough mentorship of new officers can reduce similar performance issues."

"Air marshals work in punishing conditions, labor under poor leadership and have seen their law enforcement functions curtailed by an administration that lacks vision. The problem is not the air marshals, it's the TSA," he added.
The Federal Air Marshal Service has long been criticized for poor management and lack of proof that what they do -- fly undercover to monitor for and respond to threats -- significantly improves security.

CNN has been unable to find a single incident in which a federal air marshal deterred or intervened in a terrorist plot since the organization was ramped up after the September 11, 2001, attacks.

Although it has an $835 million budget, agents cover less than 1% of US domestic and international flights, sources familiar with the agency's operations said.

A CNN report in 2015 exposed the long hours, chaotic schedules and use of drugs and alcohol among federal air marshals, which has led to suicides and suicide attempts by the agents.

In that report, CNN obtained a now-classified study commissioned by the TSA that revealed 75% of air marshals flying domestic missions were sleep-deficient. The percentage was even higher on air marshals assigned to international assignments, where 84% of agents were identified as sleep-deficient.

According to the 2012 study conducted by Harvard Medical School's division of sleep medicine, "the acute and chronic lack of sleep substantially degrades a federal air marshal's ability to react and think quickly."

TSA officials insisted at the time that air marshals' schedules ensure appropriate rest periods and that agents have access to a "robust health, fitness and wellness program."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/21/...n-airplane-bathroom/

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
...A former federal air marshal familiar with the situation told CNN that newly hired air marshals do not currently receive on-the-job training and said this incident might have been avoided if the individual had been paired with a senior air marshal.

"She made a mistake because she wasn't given the appropriate tools to succeed," the former air marshal said....

Ie, it isn't her fault she left her loaded handgun unattended on an airplane.

Anyone have much confidence in the rest of her Federal Air Marshal skills if they were needed in an airport or on an airplane?? Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
...A former federal air marshal familiar with the situation told CNN that newly hired air marshals do not currently receive on-the-job training and said this incident might have been avoided if the individual had been paired with a senior air marshal.

"She made a mistake because she wasn't given the appropriate tools to succeed," the former air marshal said....

Ie, it isn't her fault she left her loaded handgun unattended on an airplane.

Anyone have much confidence in the rest of her Federal Air Marshal skills if they were needed in an airport or on an airplane?? Roll Eyes

Especially when the shooting starts on the airplane, and the Marshall realizes that she doesn't have her gun...because the person doing the shooting is using her gun.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I went to the Basic School (police training) we were actually told how to use the can while in uniform and the proper way is to lower the pants, re-buckle just above the knees so your uniform does't fall into the floor juice and your weapon/gear doesn't get soupy...

if in regular clothing we were told to do the same. IF, you had to unholster the gun; it was to placed in the crotch of your underwear so that it would not be left behind on a hook or a toilet tank or the sink and make you look like an idiot....apparently in the way back time, more than one cop left his gun somewhere....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
A former federal air marshal familiar with the situation told CNN that newly hired air marshals do not currently receive on-the-job training and said this incident might have been avoided if the individual had been paired with a senior air marshal.

"She made a mistake because she wasn't given the appropriate tools to succeed," the former air marshal said.

John Casaretti, president of the Air Marshal Association and a former air marshal, told CNN the TSA should implement additional training for newly hired air marshals.

"These rare incidents must be thoroughly investigated and local managers should take appropriate corrective action," Casaretti said. "A field training officer program and thorough mentorship of new officers can reduce similar performance issues."
You sir win the stupidest comment of the year award for that twaddle. If the folks you're hiring are so unbelievably incompetent as to leave their service weapon in the crapper on an aircraft, then they don't need training, they need to be fired, and your group needs to be disbanded.

As noted above, if her judgement and training is so bad as to allow this sort of thing to happen, then I would put forth she'd be less than helpful in an actual terrorist situation.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Especially when the shooting starts on the airplane, and the Marshall realizes that she doesn't have her gun...because the person doing the shooting is using her gun.
You sir win the internet today. I needed a laugh and that comment delivered. Smile

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought I read - on the internet of course - that Air Marshals used www.smartcarry.com

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redleg2/9:
Sorry guys, I find it hard to believe anything in the "nypost".
New York Post is an American daily newspaper, primarily distributed in New York City and its surrounding area. It is the 13th-oldest and seventh-most-widely circulated newspaper in the United States

They've been around for more than 200 years. I think you'll be OK. Roll Eyes

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
You sir win the internet today. I needed a laugh and that comment delivered. Smile

Anyone who would laugh at this is sick. And I will tell you so as soon as I can catch my breath and wipe off my monitor. Wink

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
I thought I read - on the internet of course - that Air Marshals used www.smartcarry.com

No.
The FAMS have an approved list of holsters and they use several different manufacturers.
Smart carry isn't on the approved list.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Stay classy TSA.

Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
this incident might have been avoided if the individual had been paired with a senior air marshal
How? Would that senior air marshal have accompanied her into the toilet? (Good luck with that--I have trouble getting just myself into one, they are so small.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know a policeman who found a feds weapons on the coat hook of a stall.

Unloaded it, placed the gun and magazine in the bowl.

Took a dump on top of it and then called them.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
I know a policeman who found a feds weapons on the coat hook of a stall.

Unloaded it, placed the gun and magazine in the bowl.

Took a dump on top of it and then called them.

Lol...seriously? Ah, the poor gun.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post