SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    China Will Open Fire On Taiwan If A US Warship Ever Docks There
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

China Will Open Fire On Taiwan If A US Warship Ever Docks There Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
This could get interesting.

The Taiwan issue is front and center as Taipei and Beijing spar over a Chinese diplomat’s threats.

The day an American warship makes a port call in Taiwan will be the day the Chinese military launches an all-out assault against the island, a Chinese diplomat in the U.S. warned Friday. The senior official’s “words have sent a warning to Taiwan and drew a clear red line,” China’s nationalist tabloid Global Times asserted Monday.

“The day that a U.S. Navy vessel arrives in Kaohsiung, is the day that our People’s Liberation Army unites Taiwan with military force,” Li Kexin, the minister at the Chinese Embassy in Washington, said at an embassy event, Taiwan media reports.

Li’s comment was in response to the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2018, which authorizes the U.S. Navy to make port calls in Taiwan. Congress passed the bill in September. China asserts that a visit by a U.S. warship would activate China’s Anti-Secession Law, allowing China to use force.

China directly threatened Congress in October, warning that the U.S. legislation represents a “provocation against China’s sovereignty, national unity and security interests,” asserting that there will be “severe consequences.” Now, Beijing is issuing direct threats to Taiwan as it grows increasingly concerned about Taiwan’s independence forces.

“If Taiwan attempts to hold an independence referendum or other activities in pursuit of de jure ‘Taiwan independence,’ the PLA will undoubtedly take action,” the Global Times editorial argued.

Taiwan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that Taipei desires peaceful cross-strait relations, but it will not yield to Chinese pressure. “These methods show a lack of knowledge about the real meaning of the democratic system and how a democratic society works,” Taiwan’s MOFA said in response to Beijing’s threats.

China’s MOFA said that while it wants peaceful reunification, the Chinese armed forces “will resolutely safeguard national sovereignty and territorial integrity.”

http://dailycaller.com/2017/12...ip-ever-docks-there/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I wish them luck. We have bases in Guam, Japan, Korea etc. and would destroy them quickly and with ferocity.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
I wish them luck. We have bases in Guam, Japan, Korea etc. and would destroy them quickly and with ferocity.

Uh...are you sure? China has a large military, and we'd fighting at the end of a long logistical chain with a severely impaired military thanks to sequestration (and other issues).

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Taiwan deserves their independence.

It's going to get interesting, that's for sure.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Little early to be hitting the sauce ain't it? Wink Razz

Posts: 20083 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
One guy said this? Roll Eyes Is this the official position of the Chinese government? And have we docked warships in Taiwan before?

quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

Uh...are you sure? China has a large military, and we'd fighting at the end of a long logistical chain with a severely impaired military thanks to sequestration (and other issues).

I'm sure we could find a chink in their armor.
Wink

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Little early to be hitting the sauce ain't it? Wink Razz
The sun is over the yardarm someplace in the world. Smile

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

They are the only country that is near on pat with us and have nukes. No thanks.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:

You leading the charge?

I think not.

Sit in the back of the bus and keep coloring in between the lines mister.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
American warships have been docking in Taiwan for decades.

I don't expect that to change.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Great source of info.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Taiwan deserves their independence.

How so?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this to be used as a bargaining chip with China in regards to North Korea?

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
First call I'd make after this Chinese diplomat's statement would be to the commander of whatever carrier group is in the area directing him to immediately dock in Taiwan. Its way past time to start calling these blowhard's bluffs. And for all the worry warts, China is not going to get into a shooting war with the US. Given their US holdings and trade interactions, they have as much (if not more) to lose if war between the countries broke out. And they know it.

The message for crap like this should be sent loud and clear...put up or shut up!

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
This could get interesting.

It won't.

This kind of 'over the top' talk is just talk.

If I were in charge, I would have the newest carrier we have IMMEDIATELY make a port call there. Call their bluff.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
What's the big deal.

They aren't making threats against us. They're making threats against Taiwan.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
What's the big deal.

They aren't making threats against us. They're making threats against Taiwan.

What's the big deal? They didn't shoot one of our leaders - they only shot Archduke Ferdinand.

Posts: 630 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

You leading the charge?

I think not.

There are many things in life we could do. One might be able to punch a grizzly bear in the face, once, but why?

It is not weakness to forbear from randomly kicking hornets' nests, especially when we would be sending others to do it.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ArtieS is correct. When I was in the Navy (69 to73)we went to Taiwan many times. Dean

Posts: 219 | Location: Loganville, Ga. | Registered: May 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
No, China won't.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post