SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trip Advisor's top-rated restaurant in London doesn't actually exist
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trip Advisor's top-rated restaurant in London doesn't actually exist Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
A British journalist has turned an imaginary restaurant in his backyard into London’s most sought-after dining experience by writing fake reviews on TripAdvisor.

Oobah Butler, who specializes in deceiving his way into situations and then writing about it, wanted to expose the epidemic of fakery on the internet’s most trusted review site.

Butler had experienced the power of the site first-hand, having once earned a healthy living writing positive reviews for restaurant owners at $13 a pop.

“Over time, I became obsessed with monitoring the ratings of these businesses. Their fortunes would genuinely turn, and I was the catalyst,” he wrote in an article for Vice.

“One day, sitting in the shed I live in, I had a revelation: within the current climate of misinformation, and society’s willingness to believe absolute bulls–t, maybe a fake restaurant is possible? Maybe it’s exactly the kind of place that could be a hit?”

“In that moment, it became my mission. With the help of fake reviews, mystique and nonsense, I was going to do it: turn my shed into London’s top-rated restaurant on TripAdvisor.”

And so the “The Shed at Dulwich” was born, an exclusive eatery with just a street name for an address, that was almost always fully booked when you called to make a reservation.

Butler setup an elegant website and filled it with pretentious descriptions of dishes and pictures of fake but incredibly realistic looking food crafted mainly from household domestic products.

In a photograph of what appears to be a plate of bacon and eggs, Butler’s foot makes a cameo as the meat, but you would never know it.

He registered The Shed on TripAdvisor in May, adding a steady stream of reviews from friends rhapsodizing about “London’s best-kept secret.”

Slowly but surely, word of this mysterious but clearly amazing restaurant spread and The Shed saw it’s ranking rise from 18,149 to inside the top 1,500 in a matter of months.

“I realize what it is: the appointments, lack of address and general exclusivity of this place is so alluring that people can’t see sense,” Butler observed in a series of videos he made documenting the experiment.

“They’re looking at photos of the sole of my foot, drooling. Over the coming months, The Shed’s phone rings incessantly.”

Butler even tricked food critics, including The Guardian’s Jay Raynor, into endorsing The Shed without any of them having set foot inside.

“At last: a restaurant that recognizes food is all about mood. Of all the shed-based eating experiences out there this one sounds like the best,” Raynor tweeted.

Powered only by hype and mystique, The Shed continued to rise up the ranks of TripAdvisor. On November 1, something incredible happened: Butler’s bogus establishment had been crowned London’s number one restaurant on the site — without ever having had a paying customer.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
shed-based eating experience?

da fuq?

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Just goes to prove how many of those online reviews are full of shed.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I'm convinced trip advisor is mostly paid for.

Last year, they made my shore town, Wildwood Crest, NJ the "Number 1 beach town destination in the whole country". It is an awesome beach town, but not the best.

The rating coincided with an expensive image remarketing with a PR firm.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
WTH is a "shed-based eating experience," I wonder?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

da fuq?

It’s a niche type place that fills the void between the outhouse based tapas bar and the garage themed gelateria.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I had a recent shed based dining experience, when I finished a hot dog while getting out the Christmas decorations.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

da fuq?

EVEN WORSE. The guy LIVES in the shed.....LOLOLOLOL

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Now THIS place is actually real. I've eaten there several times and it's quite good.

And it IS an actual shed....

http://theshedbbq.com/

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3296 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
With his knack for marketing and PR I almost wonder if the restaurant would have been successful if it were real.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
Now THIS place is actually real. I've eaten there several times and it's quite good.

Yep. Great spot to watch cars during cruising the coast also

It’s often an easy dinner stop on weekends I run to pick up my son

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6225 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:

Another great Shed to eat at: https://sfshed.com/

Light bender eye mender

Posts: 412 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Powered only by hype and mystique, The Shed continued to rise up the ranks of TripAdvisor. On November 1, something incredible happened: Butler’s bogus establishment had been crowned London’s number one restaurant on the site — without ever having had a paying customer.

sort of the low-rent piggy bank version of bit coin???

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post