SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New iMac?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New iMac? Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
Well, my 10 year old 27" iMac finally crapped out a few days ago, and so I immediately ordered a new one from Apple. As luck would have it, I was able to fix the old machine in the meantime (at least the problem has not reoccurred since). So question, should I cancel the new order or just get the new computer?

I'd be inclined to take this as a sign and just replace the old unit, except the rumormill is very strong that Apple will soon be introducing a revamped iMac with the new in-house Apple Silicon processors, replacing the old Intel chips. Faster, stronger, better. This could happen as soon as next month.

What would you do in this situation?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Depends how long you’re willing to roll the dice on the current machine continuing to work. As a recovering geek, I have no interest in being the first to get the new hotness. I’d want it to be out long enough to hear how they’re holding up before I sign up to be a beta tester...

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I'd keep the new one.
Mine is also about 10 years old(mid 2011) and It's been on El Capitan for a long long time now. Works fine, just the software is not supported anymore.

When I do get a new one, I'll just keep this one as a streaming computer somewhere else in the house.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I'm typing this on a 2011 MacBook Air, because my 2017 MacBook Pro needs to be sent back to Apple as they did not fix the original problem--a bad timer controller board.
I bought my wife a new M1 (Apple silicon) MacBook Air for Christmas. It's fast, it's cool (and quiet, there's no fan), but it doesn't support peripherals such as an external mic preamp or a video digitizer.
I also need to keep an older Mac running as there will likely be no update on my Olympus Capture software used for digitizing photos--won't run on Big Sur.

My advice: cancel the order, see if you can keep this iMac running for another year, but don't buy the first M1 iMac out.

Apple repairs out of warranty are not outrageously expensive.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I'm inclined to take your advice, sjtill. The problem (display shut-down) has not occurred even once since I simply reinstalled the MacOS. I'm fairly confident it will last at least until the M1 iMac is launched, and even think it might chug on for another year or so for a second generation offering.

I'm actually tempted a little to snag a first gen Silicon iMac, as the M1 chip has already been running successfully in some Apple 'puters (a couple MacBooks and the Mini).

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Keep the new one. Macs have come a long way. A 2011 with an upgraded SSD is still a useful computer if all you do is surf the web. Since I do a lot of video work, I needed the extra processing speed of the newer Mac. I'm running a 2015 MBPa right now and it's orders of magnitude faster than my 2011 that I gave my mother.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Several things to consider.
1. What do you use it for?
2. Are your most used apps compatible with Big Sur (MacOS 11)and Apple Silicon?
3. Do your most used apps work with Rosetta 2?

The most current rumors from reliable sources don't suggest any new Macs until WWDC (usually June). However they have been very quiet recently.

If you absolutely need a new Mac, get one.

An iFixit contributor does offer this perspective: If You Absolutely Have to Buy an M1 Mac, Buy the Mac Mini.

Costco has the new M1 Mini (8/256) for $599 as does MicroCenter.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Something to consider is that any new Mac purchased now (ARM or Intel) will come with Big Sur installed, and cannot be "downgraded" to any earlier version of macOS. BS is still in its earliest phase of development, currently at the .2 release, which will finally become .6 or .7 by next summer/fall sometime. So you will be beta testing a new OS. If you need a new Mac, you'll just have to sweat it out as BS (hopefully) improves.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hate to belabor the obvious, but back everything up.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
If it is now running, I think I would hold until the new one with the M1 chip is released.

Just make sure to keep TimeMachine up to date just in case.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10930 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I have Time Machine feeding a 2TB external hard drive.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
We have an 2011 27" in the mix and upgraded the ram and HD. Now it has a 5 TB HD (we use it for a lot of Photoshop). It isn't M1 speed but does just fine.

One thing I might recommend is getting out the dust inside- if it's been in use for some time they do get buildups inside and benefit from running cooler.

I would hold off on buying one now- this is what the Macrumors site says-

Don't Buy an iMac - Update Coming!

Apple last refreshed the iMac in mid-2020, but now is not a good time to buy an iMac. There are rumors that a major refresh is coming, and the new iMac models will feature an overhauled design and faster Apple silicon chips.

With such a significant update on the way, it is best to hold off on purchasing an iMac at this time. We're expecting the new iMacs to come out as soon as spring 2021, though we don't know a firm release timeline as of yet. Everything that we expect to see in the new iMacs is listed below.

2021 iMacs - What to Expect

Apple is working on redesigned versions of the iMac that will replace the existing 21.5 and 27-inch models. The upcoming iMacs will feature the biggest design overhaul to the iMac line since 2012.

According to Bloomberg, the redesigned iMac models will feature slimmed down bezels around the display and the metal chin will be removed. It is expected to look quite similar to the Pro Display XDR monitor that Apple released in 2019.

Instead of a curved rear design, the iMacs will feature a flat back, and prior rumors have described the new iMacs as using an "iPad Pro design language." At least one of the new models that will replace the 21.5 and 27-inch models will measure in at 23 to 24 inches, but it's not clear what size the second iMac will be.

A 23 or 24 inch iMac would probably be the same size as the current 21.5-inch iMac physically, with the larger display enabled through smaller bezels. A new iMac with a fresh design and an Apple Silicon chip could come in either the fourth quarter of 2020 or early in 2021.

The redesigned iMacs will adopt Apple silicon chips, and the revamped look will coincide with Apple's move to shift away from Intel's chips, giving the iMacs updated processors and a fresh design all at once.

Apple plans to equip the new iMacs with next-generation versions of the Apple silicon chips that will be faster and with more GPU power. Apple is testing Apple silicon chips with as many as 16 power cores and four efficiency cores, but higher-end desktop models could have as many as 32 high-performance cores. Apple is also working on improved GPU technology and is testing 16 and 32-core graphics components.

Apple has developed underlying Mac support for Face ID, Apple's facial recognition technology. Apple initially planned to include it in the iMac refresh coming in 2021, but according to Bloomberg, it has been delayed and is not likely to be included in the first iteration of the new iMac lineup.

The new iMacs are expected be released in spring to fall 2021, and it's not yet clear if both models will come out at the same time.

According to Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, Apple is transitioning to mini-LED displays for its Mac lineups next year, meaning some or all of the machines mentioned in today's report could come with the more advanced screens.

Kuo says Apple has six mini-LED products in the works that are set to debut in 2021, with Macs including a 14.1-inch MacBook Pro, a 16-inch MacBook Pro, and a 27-inch ‌iMac‌.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Great karma, i'm in Wink

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Just to let everyone know, I sent back the new iMac for a full refund. The current machine has been completely stable since I reloaded High Sierra.

The latest rumor is that it won't be until October that we see the iMac refresh, however...it may very well see the second generation M1X processor, with as many as 12 cores (the M1 having 8).

I think I can keep chugging until later in the year, then think about a new computer for my birthday.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
My 2011 13" will not update past High Sierra. The 2012 11", loved too long, has TEN keys worn to white blobs with many iffy contacts; typing is a chore.

The new monitors have far better resolution. That alone would sway my vote.
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Just to let everyone know, I sent back the new iMac for a full refund.
Ah, fresh Apple Refurbished inventory! Always my favorite shopping choice!

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
My 2011 13" will not update past High Sierra.

Mine neither (also mid-2011).

quote:
Ah, fresh Apple Refurbished inventory! Always my favorite shopping choice!

I never even took it out of the box! Big Grin

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
Well, all I can say is that I wish I'd heard that rumor three months ago before I bought a brand new big ol' IMAC.

Oh well, this new one works great and I really don't need a faster, stronger, better, etc. computer.

Since about all I do these days is hang out on here, I think the new one will handle my stuff.

Bob

Posts: 1573 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
So, they announced the new iMacs, but they seem to be only available in 24".

I was hoping to replace my old 27" for a new 27" or larger.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:

It’s coming — a 32” iMac should be announced before the end of the year.

“iMac Pro” or whatever they call it .. I’m waiting for it, too. My mid-2011 27” iMac is running on fumes.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:

Just wait. The 27" will become a 28"-30" when it is converted to the M1 processor, or the M2. My 2017 27" has a bad fusion drive (3000+ bad blocks according to Tech Tool Pro) that became apparent a few weeks ago so I'm currently running off an external USB-C SSD.

Posts: 4702 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post