SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Graphing Calculator Recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Graphing Calculator Recommendations Login/Join 
Picture of Draal
posted
Alright, it's about time for another nerd topic: I'm shopping around for a graphing calculator for my son going into 7th grade. Prices are eye opening to say the least. Any help is appreciated.

Posts: 164 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: July 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
TI-84 CE PLUS

It's the typical one that teachers recommend and it's the on the list approved for use during the SAT's etc.

What class is he taking in 7th grade that he needs a graphing calculator?

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Draal
posted Hide Post
My 12 year old is working on a pre algebra summer book (school likes to give the kids work books to keep them sharp on Summer Break). Then he's in a small group of 7th graders that will be starting Algebra 1 this Fall.

And thanks for the info!

Posts: 164 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: July 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
They didn't tell you what to buy?! Or perhaps a better question - what math is he taking in 7th grade that requires a graphing calculator (Algebra 1 should not)? Will he be allowed to use it?

If it's required for the class, I thought they'd typically mandate a particular model (no doubt a Ti-whatever) so that when giving instructions on how to use it, the could give ONE set of instructions and the teacher wouldn't have to learn 32 different calculators during class.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
Typically the instructor recommends or requires a certain brand and model. I'd at least email his teacher and get a recommendation. Algebra doesn't typically require a full blown high end graphing calculator. You can probably get by with a $20 scientific calculator through Pre-calc/Calc 1.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Draal:
My 12 year old is working on a pre algebra summer book (school likes to give the kids work books to keep them sharp on Summer Break). Then he's in a small group of 7th graders that will be starting Algebra 1 this Fall.

And thanks for the info!

If he actually won't need it for a test then maybe look for an app that will do the trick for now.

I'm currently taking a college algebra course that is all about graphs and models and while the books talks about using a graphing calculator and we're allowed to use one for the quizzes, we will not be permitted to use one on the midterm or final, so I'm not going to use one for the course work either.

I'm using a TI-36X Pro ($19). You can run functions on it and get a table of points but it doesn't graph anything.

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We used TI-83 from pre-algebra through Trig. After Trig we used TI-89

And despite how much technology has changed, those things have not gone down in price Eek

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I asked the same question on the forum a few months ago. Hands down the TI-84 Plus is what ALL high school students are using.

Had to get one for each of my kids, (8th grade). Expectation is that it they will follow them thru their senior year.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of btgoanna
posted Hide Post
A slightly dissenting opinion Wink

SAT and PSAT allow for many different calculators - but ACT has a different list.

I chose to get my kids the best possible - i.e. TI NSPIRE CAS.

This is allowed on SAT but not ACT.

This calculator has a CAS (Computer algebra System) that can solve Algebra problems symbolically. i.e. They could do the problems in the calculator and it gives correct answers.
In some ways this is cheating - BUT others could be using it , so why not give your kid all the advantages you can.

I would also get it early so they learn how to use it to fullest advantage.
Expensive compared to TI 84 - BUT it will last throughout high school.

Posts: 832 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I would see if you can talk to one of the math teachers and see what they recommend.

Back in my day we had the blue TI-81(at least I think that was the model. I do remember it was blue)

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Draal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
I would see if you can talk to one of the math teachers and see what they recommend.

Back in my day we had the blue TI-81(at least I think that was the model. I do remember it was blue)

Yep, I emailed his teacher and I'm just waiting for a reply. Being the first week of summer break, I'm betting he's on a little vacation.

Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
TI 83 or 84. This comes from my wife a math teacher and former engineer.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
I have a new TI-84 Plus that I would sell you for cheap. I bought it new and never used it. I threw away the package. It comes with the manual, USB cable and cover.

John
jdmb03@hotmail.com

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
100% Sea-Moose
posted Hide Post
I still have my TI83 from high school that I use in the lab to this day.......I am amazed at how expensive they still are....

Posts: 301 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I used a TI 85 and HP 48G in college. I also had a Casio something but it drained batteries and wasn't as good. Your son probably will not want to deal with Reverse Polish Notation (RPN) so go with the TI.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was just cleaning my desk out today and found mine (a TI86) and the wife's (a TI82). I was going to offer you the 82 gratis, but opened up the battery compartment to find a severely leaking Duracell.

Don't want to offer you a non-working one, but I will be taking up a damage claim with Duracell to see if they will stand behind it.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Check for restrictions at his school. Anything at TI-89 or above was not allowed with me, so I got a TI-86. Wink

I still have it and use it at work.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Check Craigslist during summer vacation. Always a bunch of TI-84's and such for cheap when schools out. Buying a used calc tends to be just fine. They're built like a tank and even beat to hell, they are so simple they still work. Buy several, choose the best one to keep and sell the others for much higher right before the school year starts again when all the parents start looking at the last moment!

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'd check eBay for a used TI-84 Plus.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I loved my HP48GX... So much so that I still use an emulated one on Android to this day. RPN is awesome once you get used to the stack.

Currently TI seems to be the standard though...

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post