SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Graphing Calculator Recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Graphing Calculator Recommendations Login/Join 
100% Sea-Moose
posted Hide Post
I remember how cool it was too have the transfer cable and pass along games like Tetris, the worm game, and the answers to up coming tests. HAHAHA

Posts: 301 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
What does the school recommend?

I'm still using my TI-81 and TI-82 from high school (1990s)

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do, avoid the HP50G. It has a PDF manual some 1800 pages long.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btgoanna:
A slightly dissenting opinion Wink

SAT and PSAT allow for many different calculators - but ACT has a different list.

I chose to get my kids the best possible - i.e. TI NSPIRE CAS.

This is allowed on SAT but not ACT.

This calculator has a CAS (Computer algebra System) that can solve Algebra problems symbolically. i.e. They could do the problems in the calculator and it gives correct answers.
In some ways this is cheating - BUT others could be using it , so why not give your kid all the advantages you can.

I would also get it early so they learn how to use it to fullest advantage.
Expensive compared to TI 84 - BUT it will last throughout high school.

Any calculator you buy now will probably last them for well over a decade or more. So you need to also watch because many college math courses will not allow anything higher than a TI-84.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Out here outside Charlotte, the 7th grade supply list says: "TI­30XIIS (Highly recommended)." It's a scientific calculator, not graphing. I just ordered a brand new one off eBay for $7 + $2.67 shipping. Walmart has it for $12.97 + tax.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post