SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Aldi's $17.50 whiskey wins at at spirits competition
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aldi's $17.50 whiskey wins at at spirits competition Login/Join 
Picture of lkdr1989
posted
Not a whiskey drinker myself, but thought this was interesting...apparently quality whiskey to the masses.

quote:

This $17.50 whisky has been named among the best in the world

Discount supermarket chain Aldi has a history of punching above its weight in the alcohol industry.

Last summer, its £10 ($13) gin was declared among the best in the world and its £6 ($8) rosé wine won silver at the International Wine Challenge.

Now, Aldi is ruffling feathers in the scotch whisky market. Two of Aldi's own-label range were named the best in the world at an international spirits competition — for the second time this year.

Judges at the Spirits Business Scotch Whisky Masters awarded Aldi's Highland Black Scotch Whisky (£12.99/$17.39) and Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky (£17.49/$23.42) gold medals in their categories.

Aldi's Highland Black beat out Chivas Brothers' Ballantine's 12-year-old blended whisky, which retails at nearly 3 times the price of Aldi's bottle at £38.32 ($51.33).

The whiskies also won six silver medals at the International Spirits Challenge earlier this year.
Glen Marnoch Islay Single Malt WhiskyAldi's Glen Marnoch Islay Single Malt Whisky. Aldi

Julie Ashfield, Managing Director of Buying at Aldi UK, said: "It goes without saying that we are extremely proud of these results from the Spirits Business. This is the second year that our Highland Black Scotch Whisky has been voted best in the world and we are thrilled it has performed so well again!

"We are committed to bringing excellent value products to our shelves, and these results are further evidence of Aldi's unwavering consistency in sourcing only the highest quality spirits for our shoppers."

Aldi's drinks range won an impressive 77 accolades for its spirits in 2017. The supermarket was also awarded the "Own Brand Spirits Range of the Year" title at the International Spirits Challenge last year.

http://www.thisisinsider.com/c...-in-the-world-2018-6

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, it ain't gonna be 17.50 any more, is it?

Posts: 107555 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Can't say as I ever saw whisky (or whiskey) at Aldi's. Then again: It would have never occurred to me in a million years to look. Even if my eyes passed over it, they would have certainly slid right on past.

I'll look next time we're in an Aldi's. Maybe give it a try. (Though I'm more into Bourbon, lately.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not yet sold in the US

Posts: 551 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: December 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
There’s a number of things from Aldi I’m pretty impressed with that are easily a third the price of a name brand product.

Their dishwasher detergent pacs are as good as Cascade Platinum and cost around $3 vs $8+ and their German coffee is awesome.

Posts: 33793 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I save a bundle on stuff that I buy from Aldi.

I save even more on stuff that I don't buy, which is a significant portion of the things on my shopping list. Really save, because they are out of many items, much of the time, so I don't buy them, hence big savings.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are the complete results with some commentary about this "win", the contest, etc.
http://www.boozist.com/aldi-whisky-not-best-world/

Most spirits competitions are pay to medal events and most medals are consequently a joke.

I've not had this particular whiskey but I'm sure it's passable and worth $17. Beyond that who knows?

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Jack Daniels should probably worry more about Aldi than Mexico. Roll Eyes

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/383...-impact-of-trade-war

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
They sell excellent produce.
Fresh, great eye appeal and reasonably priced.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a lot of markup and marketing cost built into the price of all the expensive boutique liquor brands, but I suspect there is very little difference in the actual cost of production. NPR's Planet Money did an interesting segment on vodkas and found there was almost no difference in the alcohol purity when comparing cheap bulk to any of the "high-end" brands.

Posts: 2484 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
They sell excellent produce.
Fresh, great eye appeal and reasonably priced.
A lot of their produce is bagged or pre-packaged, so it is difficult to see the individual items. Too many times, I have purchased something, taken it home, opened the package, and found mold or mildew that could not be seen when the items were in the original package. Because of this, I have started to open the package in the store. If all good, I take it and pay for it. If mold or other damage, I hand it to an employee.

Also, eggs. I typically have to open and inspect two or three cartons before I find one with a dozen unbroken eggs.

Yup, Aldi has great prices, but

1) they are frequently out of stock on the item I'm looking for, and

2) on things that can spoil, I really have to inspect carefully.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
Here are the complete results with some commentary about this "win", the contest, etc.
http://www.boozist.com/aldi-whisky-not-best-world/

To summarize:

The Aldi whisky won gold.

But "master" is actually the highest award in the competition, and 20 whiskies won master and 93 won gold.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post