SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    when is it ok to show just a little bit less than respect for the elderly?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

when is it ok to show just a little bit less than respect for the elderly? Login/Join 
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
Let them stop and smell the roses. It doesn't hurt anyone.

He wasn't sniffing, he was sitting.

You missed the point entirely.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
I don't mean to be a jerk but I will say...
stop trying to be the policing agent.....
Kinda like the gentleman that scratches up cars parked in the handicap spot when he deems they don't deserve to.
It ain't your business .....

I chuckle and love to see older couples having a pleasant time. I'm near there....there's a little boy in all men.
Laugh, love, live .....

Yeah, I must admit my first thought was “That is silly.,” immediately followed by “It isn’t any of my business and has absolutely no impact on me, so there is clearly no reason for me to waste even a second on it.”

People are going to be people. If they aren’t hurting anyone or impacting me or mine, no reason to get involved...

I'm one that plays by the rules, it pisses me off when I see someone not doing the right thing and being rude regardless of anyone being injured by it. It's not their property to touch and the owner of said property specifically said in writing don't do this please. How would you feel if it were your property that someone was taking liberties with? Maybe you have to park your Harley on the street due to garage repairs or whatever reason. Would you be fine with the neighbors kids climbing on it and playing with knobs, switches, accelerator, etc? How about neighbors parents or for that matter, anyone?

I also get pissed at single drivers in HOV lanes, people leaving their buggies in grocery store parking lots, or people driving on the shoulders. Is it harming me? No. Still pisses me off none the less. Inconsiderate people get on my nerves.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
bendable, you know damn good and well that as soon as he leaves the store, he will drive, at a MINIMUM of 5 mph UNDER the posted speed limit while traveling in the left lane on the highway. If he has Handicap license plates, he automatically is exempted from such trivial things like: turn signals, making right hand turns from the left lane, turning headlights on at night, etc.

Cut him some slack Smile

I have been fortunate [/sarcasm] to have driven behind this type,, and they may have been 31,,

seems there is no longer a bad driver age related stereotype

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:....I have been fortunate [/sarcasm] to have driven behind this type,, and they may have been 31,,

seems there is no longer a bad driver age related stereotype

Seems a significant porton of the time I encounter a quite careless/inconsiderate driver, they have their hand on the wheel, their foot on the gas, and their brain on their I-thingey.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The reason for the sign is pretty obvious: the store doesn't want to pay for all the hardware in his arm and shoulder when Easy Rider takes a nose dive. It also wants to maybe sell the Vespa, and doesn't want to have to rebuild it from the ground up after it's been abused by louts.

The state of lout is not age-limited.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2067 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you watch,
the guy was probably a Viet nam vet with a chest full of medals, w/ four kids that are destined for saint hood and the wife has already donated a lung and a kidney to total strangers.

So I will end up winning the king schmuck award for 2018

I gotta get this "judge everyone" attitude adjusted, but quick,
Ive noticed that I do it a lot more now, than I used too.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I gotta get this "judge everyone" attitude adjusted, but quick,
Ive noticed that I do it a lot more now, than I used too.

I have an assignment for you, Bendable. Spend an entire day at Walmart and make a report back to SigForum of the POSITIVE things you have seen. Remember no negatives at all. If you can do that, then you are a better man than I.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
You don't have to respect them. But that's different than showing them courtesy.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
My general rule is to be respectful, period.

That changes when I am subject to disrespectful, discourteous, obnoxious, or entitled behavior.

I often hear people say that if you make it to seventy you can do as you damn well please. For the most part I assume that if you're an asshole at 70, you were probably an asshole at 30, and I'm not giving you a pass for having managed to be an asshole for seven decades instead of a mere three. Barring age related mental disorders anyway.

In this case - I would have been sorely tempted to ignore the sign myself if I had any interest in buying. I don't really have hard feelings over him goofing off. I might have done the same in front of any number of girlfriends. Age be damned. And if somebody whipped out their phone to take a picture I would have saod "alright, ya got me good, f#cker," and left it at that. I did, after all, ignore the sign.

His wife was the one out of line, in my opinion. Your husband ignored a very obvious sign and was about to get a photo of himself goofing off on the internet. If he's gonna make motorcycle noises on public, he sounds like the type to find it funny. His wife probably needs to try the decaf. So what if somebody takes a picture? And trying to guilt trip you about it strikes me as the height of entitlement.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I am more or less with bendable. Think of a posted public fountain, and then someone gets in. Do we think someone is not going to look or perhaps take a picture? Trying to remove them when it is not your place is an escalation. Taking a picture in a public place is less intrusive than the lady trying more than once to stop him from doing it.

I agree that some folks do not follow the rules because they have an attitude they are above rules. Costco likely wanted to protect their merchandise. Don't like it, tell them. Just because one may have a "reason" does not place their whim above property owner rights, safety, or courtesy to others. Park in a fire zone or handicap space, block an intersection, litter, let your dog crap anywhere you walk, cut in line, ect all start with a reason but it is not the high ground in a civility debate.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What if the sign was posted because the scooter needed a repair & was unsafe to be on? Bet Costco would get sued by the couple & they'd probably win. Stranger things have happened.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I'm one that plays by the rules, it pisses me off when I see someone not doing the right thing and being rude regardless of anyone being injured by it. It's not their property to touch and the owner of said property specifically said in writing don't do this please. How would you feel if it were your property that someone was taking liberties with? Maybe you have to park your Harley on the street due to garage repairs or whatever reason. Would you be fine with the neighbors kids climbing on it and playing with knobs, switches, accelerator, etc? How about neighbors parents or for that matter, anyone?

I also get pissed at single drivers in HOV lanes, people leaving their buggies in grocery store parking lots, or people driving on the shoulders. Is it harming me? No. Still pisses me off none the less. Inconsiderate people get on my nerves.

Yeah, it annoys me too, but I try hard not to let it. I don't grocery shop often, but when I do, instead of letting the buggies left around the parking lot piss me off, I'll grab a few on the way to take mine back. If someone is just finishing unloading, I'll ask if they are done and take theirs too. For some reason, people seem to really appreciate that, and what the heck, I am walking back anyway.

Now people who park in the fast lane, ... Wink

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
you watch,
the guy was probably a Viet nam vet with a chest full of medals, w/ four kids that are destined for saint hood and the wife has already donated a lung and a kidney to total strangers.....

Therefore he is entitled to ingore any rules anytime he wants?

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Maybe he has Alzheimers and the Vespa reminded him of the Triumphs, Hondas, Indians and Harleys he had over the years.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

No, he wasn't

Old people 'stopping to smell the roses' because they don't have much time left (aww, such cloying tripe) doesn't give them any special rights to break rules, or mess with other people's property in whatever way they like.

Get your jollies and smell your roses in some way that isn't at someone else's expense.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
Oh and this is a tangent but an important one.

That 'never judge anyone, or never give someone grief for acting like a jerk' rule is a load of crap. What's worse is you think acting that way makes you virtuous.

Being on the receiving end of social disapproval for violating minor rules and acting like a jerk, is pretty much the only effective way those little rules are reinforced. It's necessary push back that helps public life stay civilized.

If you let the little things go long enough, then the bigger things will start to go. Assholes will always be pushing boundaries.

Also, if no private individual is ever allowed to judge or express disapproval, the only way a rule can ever be enforced is by resorting to government. This is how you get people calling the cops over the most trivial thing, because they don't think they can (or are too afraid to) speak up on their own behalf.

Go down that road a little ways and you have people thinking only the government can be in charge of things, the only people allowed to exercise power (or have guns, hint hint) are agents of the state. This not hypothetical, I grew up in just such an environment and it's as corrupt and deranged as you might think.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
I don't think taking his picture ignoring the store policy would have been a sign of disrespect, unless he has some mental defect.

Exactly.
He has having some fun, you were too.
You didn’t call the cops on the guy, you pulled out your camera.
The wife was the jerk here.

Posts: 9509 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just last week I had to deal with an old man who was yelling at cars who parked in front of his house during an estate sale next door (public street).

He said he has cancer. Ooook. How does you having cancer give the right to tell cars where they can legally park. Ironically he told me they can park in the private property lot across the street.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:
quote:
quote:
quote:

No, he wasn't

Old people 'stopping to smell the roses' because they don't have much time left (aww, such cloying tripe) doesn't give them any special rights to break rules, or mess with other people's property in whatever way they like.

Get your jollies and smell your roses in some way that isn't at someone else's expense.

Shameful, I'm sure your parents would be proud.... oh wait, no they wouldn't. Trying to create an internet viral video so you can say you have a 500,000 views at the expense of an elderly man. Let's all laugh. Frown

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this is directed at me, but I'll assume it was...

quote:
Oh and this is a tangent but an important one.

That 'never judge anyone, or never give someone grief for acting like a jerk' rule is a load of crap. What's worse is you think acting that way makes you virtuous.

If your above comments about what "you think" were directed at me, you really need to work on your mindreader skills. I dunno if there is any such rule, but if there is I've not ever been one to follow it, or to feel virtuous about much of anything. I may judge someone to be a raging dickhead (and often do when I run across morons on the freeway with their heads up their iphones, blocking the world up for everyone else.) I just try not to let it impact my day. If I get all pissed off about it and spend time angry, worrying about, or engaging with what someone else is doing, what purpose does that serve? There is a difference between disapproving of what someone does (or judging anyone to use your phrase) and allowing them to occupy space in your head.

quote:
Being on the receiving end of social disapproval for violating minor rules and acting like a jerk, is pretty much the only effective way those little rules are reinforced. It's necessary push back that helps public life stay civilized.

Hey, if you want to police everyone else's behavior, more power to you. I just choose not to.

quote:
If you let the little things go long enough, then the bigger things will start to go. Assholes will always be pushing boundaries.

Also, if no private individual is ever allowed to judge or express disapproval, the only way a rule can ever be enforced is by resorting to government. This is how you get people calling the cops over the most trivial thing, because they don't think they can (or are too afraid to) speak up on their own behalf.

I am all for folks doing what works for them. If you want to be the politeness police, that's great. Maybe your efforts will change folks behavior and we'll all benefit. I choose not to. That is my choice for how I want to spend my time. I certainly wouldn't want to tell you what you can and can't do. Heck, I may silently cheer you on.

quote:
Go down that road a little ways and you have people thinking only the government can be in charge of things, the only people allowed to exercise power (or have guns, hint hint) are agents of the state. This not hypothetical, I grew up in just such an environment and it's as corrupt and deranged as you might think.

There is definitely a problem when folks are not willing to ask for their needs/wants and feel they need "the gubbermint" to take care of their neighbor's leaves or whatever.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post