SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    when is it ok to show just a little bit less than respect for the elderly?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

when is it ok to show just a little bit less than respect for the elderly? Login/Join 
posted
The Costco has a vespa or some such scooter on a pedestal at the entrance to the store.

It has two 8 inch diameter stop signs on it that read "Do Not ! sit on this scooter!

I grab my cart and dig for my membership card and there sitting on the scooter is a 70 y.o. white haired old man, sitting on the scooter , twisting the throttle and ducking behind the wind screen.

His white haired ,little old lady wife was standing there watching him act like an idiot.

I whipped out my camera phone and told my friend "watch this".

She said what are you doing? I said I am going to put this on the inner net, with the caption "Why we can't have nice things"

Before I could snap the pic the L.o.l. stepped in front of the camera.

so I moved , so she moved in front again , so I just walked in the store.

five minutes later she approached me and said , that I was out of place and I shouldn't have said anything .

I told her that I respected her opinion, but I was taken a back by her husbands juvenile behavior and lack of restraint.

she then told me that I should not have said That ! either Big Grin

I told her to have a nice day .

but what I wanted to say was "Sometimes the attention that you so desperately seek , is NOT the attention that you receive "

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
You are dancing on sore toes with that old 70 yo talk, sonny!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
when is it ok to show just a little bit less than respect for the elderly?
when you are older than them.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
You are dancing on sore toes with that old 70 yo talk, sonny!

Big Grin
( I am 61 now so I will be there soon enough)

Big Grin

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Off the top of my head:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XcKBmdfpWs

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Stupid is stupid, and deserves zero respect.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Sounds like they were self-absorbed jerks. And I would bet they were self-absorved jerks before they reached 70. Probably Democrats. Wink

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
71 today is like 51 of just a few years ago. They weren't that old.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should have told them the pic was necessary for an study you were doing on how impulse control, common sense and judgement declines with advancing years. You could point on that this behavior is common in the local nursing homes as well.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
No one deserves respect for the things they have no control over: hair, eye, skin color; sex; place of birth; age; IQ; etc. Deference and compassion, yes, sometimes, but not respect. Respect is earned—or forfeited—by what we do.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
bendable, you know damn good and well that as soon as he leaves the store, he will drive, at a MINIMUM of 5 mph UNDER the posted speed limit while traveling in the left lane on the highway. If he has Handicap license plates, he automatically is exempted from such trivial things like: turn signals, making right hand turns from the left lane, turning headlights on at night, etc.

Cut him some slack Smile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I don't mean to be a jerk but I will say...
stop trying to be the policing agent.....
Kinda like the gentleman that scratches up cars parked in the handicap spot when he deems they don't deserve to.
It ain't your business .....

I chuckle and love to see older couples having a pleasant time. I'm near there....there's a little boy in all men.
Laugh, love, live .....

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
No one deserves respect for the things they have no control over: hair, eye, skin color; sex; place of birth; age; IQ; etc. Deference and compassion, yes, sometimes, but not respect. Respect is earned—or forfeited—by what we do.

Exactly. I would just add that usually they are given the benefit of the doubt (associating age with experiences and wisdom). But once they remove that doubt, so to the respect.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
I don't mean to be a jerk but I will say...
stop trying to be the policing agent.....
Kinda like the gentleman that scratches up cars parked in the handicap spot when he deems they don't deserve to.
It ain't your business .....

I chuckle and love to see older couples having a pleasant time. I'm near there....there's a little boy in all men.
Laugh, love, live .....

Yeah, I must admit my first thought was “That is silly.,” immediately followed by “It isn’t any of my business and has absolutely no impact on me, so there is clearly no reason for me to waste even a second on it.”

People are going to be people. If they aren’t hurting anyone or impacting me or mine, no reason to get involved...

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still being agile & somewhat nuts @ 72, I would have broke into my John Kay "Born to be Wild", air guitar & make believe stand up mic., all the while gyrating in front of said little old lady.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
Sounds like they were self-absorbed jerks. And I would bet they were self-absorved jerks before they reached 70. Probably Democrats. Wink

Calling them out was fine by me, bendable, although it may have been the only time in their lives that it was done. I'm in their age-range, too, by the way.

I was getting my Alfa Romeo serviced at the dealership back in the early 1980's, and the dealership had an older sportscar on display, with a red velvet rope around it and "Do Not Touch" signs on stands. It was in the middle stages of restoration.

A woman was accusing the dealership of destroying her bright yellow dress with a black substance, which turned out to be the black shoe polish used to temporarily make the leather seats in the car look good for the display. The only way she could get it on her dress was to ignore the signs, remove the red velvet rope, and sit in the car. She was stupid enough to think that we couldn't figure out what she had done, and got even angrier when another customer told her we knew.

She may have been related to bendable's couple.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it is best to remember that as we age we become more like children. The everyday things that we take for granted they tend to see with more enjoyment. Let them stop and smell the roses. It doesn't hurt anyone.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
Let them stop and smell the roses. It doesn't hurt anyone.

He wasn't sniffing, he was sitting.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I don't think taking his picture ignoring the store policy would have been a sign of disrespect, unless he has some mental defect.

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Still being agile & somewhat nuts @ 72, I would have broke into my John Kay "Born to be Wild", air guitar & make believe stand up mic., all the while gyrating in front of said little old lady.

Hey, if you've still got it, flaunt it.

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post