SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Former Fitzgerald, McCain COs Face Negligent Homicide, Dereliction of Duty Charges Over Fatal Collisions
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Former Fitzgerald, McCain COs Face Negligent Homicide, Dereliction of Duty Charges Over Fatal Collisions Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
The log only notes commands, not a transcript of discussions.

We may have discussed this in the previous thread, but wouldn't there be a voyage data recorder with audio of the bridge conversations?

There may be now.

Remember, I am an arm chair sailor who hasn’t been on a Navy ship at sea in nearly 50 years. We barely had telephones and wireless back then.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Boatswains Mate of the Watch took over to execute a helm order. Why this became necessary, we can’t say. That is a verbal command from whoever has the conn, usually the OOD, to the helsman at the wheel, to turn, change speed, etc. “Right standard rudder!” Helm replies, “Right standard rudder, aye aye, sir!” Or “All ahead one third,” which is acknowledged and repeated back by the lee helmsman who has the engine controls. These helm commands are noted in the log by the Quartermaster who is keeping the log, at the time. Maybe there was a discussion going on, uncertainty, such that the helmsman did not respond. 4 minutes is a long time. The atmosphere on the bridge of a well run ship ordinarily precludes such confusion. If the OOD has “lost it” I guess anything can happen. That young man is in a heap of trouble now, and not many good explanations. The log only notes commands, not a transcript of discussions.

According to the report it does look like a 2 minute window (rather than a 4 minute window) where the OOD ordered a course change to the right but then rescinded the order within a minute and ordered an increase to full speed and a rapid turn to the left. It may have confused the helsman or he didn't respond quickly enough to the change, resulting in the Bosun Mate taking control from him. Definitely sounds like the OOD was confused and lost control...In addition to not following orders to notify the captain several times when he should have.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the Navy has full bridge and CIC audio from both of these collisions, my guess is they probably sounds even worse than this escaped clip from the 2012 USS Porter collision in the Persian Gulf. (The Navy tried to suppress the release of this clip)

http://gcaptain.com/intense-br...conversation-porter/

I don't know whether the Navy has settled all financial claims with the shipowners involved (Crystal and Alnico MC), so that might be an additional reason to not release the audio or transcripts. Some portions will almost certainly be used as evidence in the upcoming Courts Martial as well. Unless someone intentionally leaks the audio, we'll probably never hear it.

There was a leadership truism in the Navy when I served, which I have carried over into my career as a civilian Master.
"You cannot have responsibility for something over which you have no authority"
It seems like these CO's were being force fed a lot of crap from SURFPAC, reduced manning, limited work up time, tons of absurd training requirement in transgender sensitivity, etc., JO's and SWO's with zero clue how to Navigate a ship.
They did however, have the authority to say "No my ship isn't ready to deploy". They would have been relieved on the spot and run out of the Navy as O-5's, but they did have that authority. IMO, the charges and the investigation should go higher. The whole culture of the current surface navy seems deeply flawed. It is a whole lot more than reduced manning.
The biggest issue I see is gross incompetence of watch standers. It doesn't matter if you have 3000 helmsmen and OOD's to put on a 47 section watchbill, if they don't know WTF they are doing.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

Let's get back on track with the discussion. "these orders were not carried out." That just shouted at me. How can an order given in the Navy under those circumstances not be carried out. And isn't there someone plotting courses in the bridge? I think so; I'm a bilge rat in the engineroom so I don't get to see that.

I can't believe the order was simply dropped given the Order-repeat back order protocol. If the senior enlisted took over because the order was wrong, how come it took 4 minutes for him to execute?

And I don't mind the court martials. it's right and proper.

Let’s not confuse the orders.

The Captain has standing orders, updated daily for the OOD, while the Captain is off the bridge. I call these Captain’s Night Orders. They are written, kept in a folder or notebook, and initialed by each OOD at the start of his watch. They will cover things like notifying the Captain under stated conditions, what expectations are for the next hours, steaming conditions for the night, coirse, speed, any manuevers, hazards to navigation. The Captain wants to be notified if any ship is going to come within stated distances. The OOD must contact him, or her, and report. I heard of a JOOD making the call, and both officers getting a royal reaming because it is for the OOD to call, not the JOOD. Sometimes the Captain is down in the wardroom watching the movie. No matter. You must track him down and give him the report.

I can’t wait to find out why this was not done on Fitzgerald.

The Boatswains Mate of the Watch took over to execute a helm order. Why this became necessary, we can’t say. That is a verbal command from whoever has the conn, usually the OOD, to the helsman at the wheel, to turn, change speed, etc. “Right standard rudder!” Helm replies, “Right standard rudder, aye aye, sir!” Or “All ahead one third,” which is acknowledged and repeated back by the lee helmsman who has the engine controls. These helm commands are noted in the log by the Quartermaster who is keeping the log, at the time. Maybe there was a discussion going on, uncertainty, such that the helmsman did not respond. 4 minutes is a long time. The atmosphere on the bridge of a well run ship ordinarily precludes such confusion. If the OOD has “lost it” I guess anything can happen. That young man is in a heap of trouble now, and not many good explanations. The log only notes commands, not a transcript of discussions.

I wasn't focused on the standing orders. I was talking about the orders covered by your last paragraph. I've not stand watch on the bridge, only in the engineroom. I forget what the officer in charge of the engineroom is called, probably Engineering officer of the Watch. In any case, for every evolution, emergency included, there's a procedure that the EOW is supposed to physically turn to even though he has it memorized. I understand there may be more variables piloting a ship, but in this case, wouldn't there have been the "right" procedure to follow and not depend on the whim of the OOD - slow down and cross behind them or speed up and cross ahead of them?

And when the OOD gives a course order regarding this collission threat, isn't someone like a quartermaster plotting or assessing whether that course order will actually resolve the issue?

The OOD rescinding and issuing an opposite order sounds like he was the root cause. It sounds like he froze because it doesn't sound like he confirmed the last order was belayed and the new order was acknowledged.

Nothing that was posted shows anything about the steering wheel guy except apparently he didn't comply with the order to increase to full speed and full port. Which goes back to the OOD because bells should sound when you do a speed change. (I'm assuming there are still people in the engineroom actually controlling the speed.) The OOD should have noticed either the helmsman didn't repeat his order or the speed control bells didn't ring or both.

And then, what was the senior petty officer of the watch doing? It took him 4 minutes to do anything. It doesn't look like he's going to be making chief anytime soon. Was this a case of a watch team made up of newly qualified people? Then that goes to whoever made up the roster of the watch teams.

Lastly, what happened to "Sound the collision alarm!?" I know that's a regular and quite often frequent drill that we do where it was a contest in the engineroom how fast we can stop the gears to zero so that we can go full astern. When I did it, I would cheat and take out the play in opening the astern valve. We usually had word ahead of time if they were going to run those types of drills.

And again as far as the court martials, hell yes, heads should roll. You crash a ship and take it out of commission, kill sailors, and expect to be made admiral? I did know a guy who crashed his boat into a part of a bridge in Portland, grounded an aircraft carrier on a sandbar, ruined an aircraft carrier's propeller fresh out of drydock and still made admiral. It's suppose to be if you ran out of fresh water and had to be given some by another ship, it would make your head hang down in shame.

And, JALLEN, I'm asking you these questions because I'm assuming you've run a bridge watch before, yes?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Let's get back on track with the discussion. "these orders were not carried out." That just shouted at me. How can an order given in the Navy under those circumstances not be carried out. And isn't there someone plotting courses in the bridge? I think so; I'm a bilge rat in the engineroom so I don't get to see that.

I can't believe the order was simply dropped given the Order-repeat back order protocol. If the senior enlisted took over because the order was wrong, how come it took 4 minutes for him to execute?

And I don't mind the court martials. it's right and proper.

Let’s not confuse the orders.

The Captain has standing orders, updated daily for the OOD, while the Captain is off the bridge. I call these Captain’s Night Orders. They are written, kept in a folder or notebook, and initialed by each OOD at the start of his watch. They will cover things like notifying the Captain under stated conditions, what expectations are for the next hours, steaming conditions for the night, coirse, speed, any manuevers, hazards to navigation. The Captain wants to be notified if any ship is going to come within stated distances. The OOD must contact him, or her, and report. I heard of a JOOD making the call, and both officers getting a royal reaming because it is for the OOD to call, not the JOOD. Sometimes the Captain is down in the wardroom watching the movie. No matter. You must track him down and give him the report.

I can’t wait to find out why this was not done on Fitzgerald.

I wasn't focused on the standing orders. I was talking about the orders covered by your last paragraph. I've not stand watch on the bridge, only in the engineroom. I forget what the officer in charge of the engineroom is called, probably Engineering officer of the Watch. In any case, for every evolution, emergency included, there's a procedure that the EOW is supposed to physically turn to even though he has it memorized. I understand there may be more variables piloting a ship, but in this case, wouldn't there have been the "right" procedure to follow and not depend on the whim of the OOD - slow down and cross behind them or speed up and cross ahead of them?

And when the OOD gives a course order regarding this collission threat, isn't someone like a quartermaster plotting or assessing whether that course order will actually resolve the issue?

The OOD rescinding and issuing an opposite order sounds like he was the root cause. It sounds like he froze because it doesn't sound like he confirmed the last order was belayed and the new order was acknowledged.

Nothing that was posted shows anything about the steering wheel guy except apparently he didn't comply with the order to increase to full speed and full port. Which goes back to the OOD because bells should sound when you do a speed change. (I'm assuming there are still people in the engineroom actually controlling the speed.) The OOD should have noticed either the helmsman didn't repeat his order or the speed control bells didn't ring or both.

And then, what was the senior petty officer of the watch doing? It took him 4 minutes to do anything. It doesn't look like he's going to be making chief anytime soon. Was this a case of a watch team made up of newly qualified people? Then that goes to whoever made up the roster of the watch teams.

Lastly, what happened to "Sound the collision alarm!?" I know that's a regular and quite often frequent drill that we do where it was a contest in the engineroom how fast we can stop the gears to zero so that we can go full astern. When I did it, I would cheat and take out the play in opening the astern valve. We usually had word ahead of time if they were going to run those types of drills.

And again as far as the court martials, hell yes, heads should roll. You crash a ship and take it out of commission, kill sailors, and expect to be made admiral? I did know a guy who crashed his boat into a part of a bridge in Portland, grounded an aircraft carrier on a sandbar, ruined an aircraft carrier's propeller fresh out of drydock and still made admiral. It's suppose to be if you ran out of fresh water and had to be given some by another ship, it would make your head hang down in shame.

And, JALLEN, I'm asking you these questions because I'm assuming you've run a bridge watch before, yes?

If someone was plotting the crystal, they would know it's heading, speed, and cpa. They did not. I'm sure the crystal was plotting them and had the Fitzgerald simply maintained course and speed, the crystal would've passed right by the Fitzgerald.

The fact that orders were not carried out immediately is another big mess. That really is inexcusable. That is a lack of leadership (and possibly experience) and not training. It could also be that the helmsman didn't trust the orders given to him.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post