SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Whether sincere or not I can't quite think of a better way to get yourself excused from Jury Duty
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whether sincere or not I can't quite think of a better way to get yourself excused from Jury Duty Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Jury selection is once again under way in the Ray Tensing (University of Cincinnati PD) trial after a hung jury on the first attempt.
Prospective juror: Tensing 'should get a medal'
http://www.wcpo.com/news/local...g-should-get-a-medal

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
It is unfortunate for the defense that this fine, upstanding citizen probably won't be allowed to serve on the jury.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Whether sincere or not (but he sounded sincere), I think he excluded himself from having a say on an issue he expressed strong feelings on.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
The prosecutor asked us if we could consider giving a guy life in prison for theft. Now that I think about it, the guy must have been some kind of habitual offender. I absent mindedly asked the prosecutor how much someone would have to steal to get life in prison while others weren't getting life for killing someone? It took him about two seconds to reject me.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Two words: jury nullification.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Two words: jury nullification.

That won't happen in this case...

quote:
Sitting right next to Juror No. 4, Juror No. 3 had the opposite view. He complained about police stopping him without valid release, saying he "always felt it was racial."

He wrote on his questionnaire that he already believed Tensing was guilty of murder.

"Bad cops outnumber good cops," he said.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Juror three is an asshole. People with attitudes can never realize when they're in the wrong.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would actually be fine with serving on a jury, but I know it will never happen. Got a few days into the process once on a murder trial with some gang bangers, no surprise I wasn't picked. I wasn't asked any direct questions either, didn't make it that far. Do they have something against white male infantry officers/insurance adjusters? Confused

The antics of the defense team were pretty amusing (and sad), the way they were trying to frame things to set up their self-defense theory.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I served on a jury a few weeks back. Fed criminal trial. Stupid case but the feds don't play. Feds went 2/3 and I really wanted to make it 1/3 but the evidence and the law conspired against the defendant. It was a good experience.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
I got out of jury duty with honesty a couple years back.

They had me seated, then during questioning, I told them I had no respect for either the plaintiff or the defendant, respected only personal responsibility and both of them were in my opinion wrong.

Lawyers for both sides united to remove me.

Smile

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I have no respect for any citizen who dodges jury duty, nor for any person so prejudiced they cannot fairly weigh the evidence and the law presented in a trial and render a honest verdict.
A fair trial is a core principle of our nation.

Posts: 1400 | Location: Butte, Mont. | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Want to get out of jury duty?

Show up as a white senior aged retired lawyer.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I would like to have the experience just once, but it is unlikely in my small community. Very few trials here, fewer yet for anything serious.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2735 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
there are lots of honest reasons why you SHOULD NOT be on a jury

if you cannot fair and impartial why go?

not liking the defendant is acceptable - who ever wrote that you have to like everybody? suppose the defendant is the SOB bully that used to beat the shit out of you every day in high school? He's guilty as fuck of whatever he did, send him to the electric chair

Jury duty is a duty only if you can do it RIGHT

doing it for the sake of doing it is WRONG

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dubya
posted Hide Post
I was sitting in a jury pool years ago and had a stack of gun mags to read as I had time there.
Wise ass next to me says he figures I was trying to get out of being picked.

I looked at him like he was a talking donkey and said no, that is what I read when I have the time. He pestered me no more...

Sons of the Republic of Texas, NRA, TSRA
God Bless America

Posts: 4075 | Location: The Great Lone Star State, Texas | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MTJbyrd:
I have no respect for any citizen who dodges jury duty, nor for any person so prejudiced they cannot fairly weigh the evidence and the law presented in a trial and render a honest verdict.
A fair trial is a core principle of our nation.

True, but when our core principles were discussed and codified, those framers never envisioned a system so glacial that a major trial could take six months. A citizen shouldn't have to give a half year of his life to the judicial system. If you're self-employed or employed in the trades, you don't have that much unpaid time to give without experiencing real hardship.

When my wife was called up, we had multiple small children. We had to arrange for their care, and it was a huge burden on us and the little kids.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I served on a jury only once, in Northern Virginia, on a malicious wounding case, and found it very interesting and not at all like Law and Order.

The trial took 2 days. During the trial it came out that it happened during a gang fight. What I found interesting was the different perspectives/testimony of the different witnesses. Each witness was questioned and testified to only that small portion of the whole event that they had knowledge of, and the prosecution did not put all the pieces together and present a theory or summary of the whole event that unfolded over several hours. We just heard the facts presented by different witnesses and we the jury had to figure out what we thought had happened. For example:

- one witness testified as to what happened in a restaurant/bar several hours earlier involving several individuals belonging to 2 different adult soccer teams
- Police officer testified as to what he observed in the restaurant/bar and in the parking lot.
- Resident of the home where the gang fight occurred testified to what they saw happen in front of the house
- several witnesses were from opposing sides in the fight and also facing charges, but we the jury had to figure that out ourselves
- And so on.

We the jury had a number of simple questions that could have been posed to the witnesses to clear things up, but they were never asked.

The fight was between Latinos, the defendant was Latino, and a number of the witnesses only spoke Spanish, so there was a lot of translating going on. What made it confusing is that there were a couple of instances where a word had different meanings in English vs. Spanish.

For example, several witnesses very strongly answered “No, absolutely not” when asked “Do you “know” so-and-so, even though it was clear from other testimony that they were well-acquainted. It eventually came out that “Do you know so-and-so” translates to Spanish as “are you and so-and-so lovers” or something like that. That's why the witnesses said Hell no, I don't know him.

Also, one of the main participants in the fight was consistently referred to by the Spanish-speaking witnesses as Hairy, and “the hairy one.” It turned out that the hairy one was bald. Eek

As a jury we decided that the accused did something, although it was not proved that he did what the prosecution alleged. We found him guilty on a lesser charge and recommended the max sentence for the lesser charge.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post