SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Free at last, Hooyah Montana! Added a small book karma
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Free at last, Hooyah Montana! Added a small book karma Login/Join 
posted
A brief background:
Grew up in Ohio, and worked in .gov overseas for 14 years and then lived in the middle east for 6 years and africa for 10 years with a recent move to SE Asia last Oct. I've been to 114 countries but never really road tripped 'Merica.

2 weeks ago, I left LAX drove to Yosemite randomly picked up two Spanish girls on holiday and breathed in the beauty of El Cap and Half Dome. Then drove to Lake Tahoe, went to Yellow Stone. What a magical place! The park rangers are amazing and the seer expanse (and the bison, just humbling)and let me say inarticulately, the pause. The pause is no phone, internets, email...if I had kids, I would take them there in a second, it changes everything.
From there, one of my dear friends lives in Montana, near Flathead Lake, so why not?
Boy, was it love at first sight!!!
It didn't help I caught a lake trout on the 2nd day. The rivers, lakes, farmland, and most importantly the stupid friendly people won my heart. This place is gorgeous!!!
Don't get me wrong, I consider myself a San Diego guy, surfing and girls in bikinis on Coronado beach all day. But, Montana is on a whole different parallel universe! Humble beauty.
Never have I ever felt at home. Last year I traveled 320,000 miles to 41 countries, and never have I wanted to put on my trucker hat, grab a gun and fishing pole with people who wanted me there. So with my freshly minted MT drivers license, I'm retardly proud to call myself a Montanan! Therefore, all you libtard Californians don't come here...hahahaha!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sooma,

Posts: 629 | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Where Ya at?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Where Ya at?

I just got a place in Big Fork, talking and looking at places to buy around here.

The Constable
posted Hide Post
I'm east of You, north of Helena on the MO River at Craig. Wait for the water to drop in a month or so and get over here and fish the Missouri. Blue Ribbon stream.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
I'm east of You, north of Helena on the MO River at Craig. Wait for the water to drop in a month or so and get over here and fish the Missouri. Blue Ribbon stream.

Thanks! I can't wait to finally call a place a home after 20 years. The fish should be terrified!

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I am coming there, bwahahahaha!, right to Helena, but only for a week in mid-July. Just booked my tickets.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16268 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Now, did you ever visit in the winter?

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Congrats! Now, did you ever visit in the winter?

Not afraid of winter, grew up in the snow belt in Ohio, did winter warfare in Adak, ate lutefisk in Norway and did dive ops in the N. Sea. What I am afraid of is the women up here who have more guns than me, hahahaha

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
The Flathead Lake area is a melting pot of folks from all over. Migration seems to come from Minnesota, the Dakotas, Washington and California.

The Eastern side is predominantly Montana born and bred.

My wife and I have lived in Montana for over 40 years and finally retired near Kalispell. Bigfork is a crazy place in the summer.

Welcome and enjoy.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
I am coming there, bwahahahaha!, right to Helena, but only for a week in mid-July. Just booked my tickets.

This was my first time in MT, and for the last 2 weeks all I've been saying is this place is not real...it is just too magical!

posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Flathead! Moved here over 22-years ago from back East, and have never looked back. Of course, you'll need to live through a few snowy, cold winters before you can begin to say you're a Montanan! Big Grin

Posts: 65 | Location: NW Montana (Last Best Place) | Registered: July 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
The Flathead Lake area is a melting pot of folks from all over. Migration seems to come from Minnesota, the Dakotas, Washington and California.

The Eastern side is predominantly Montana born and bred.

My wife and I have lived in Montana for over 40 years and finally retired near Kalispell. Bigfork is a crazy place in the summer.

Welcome and enjoy.

Mike

I'm temporarily staying in Big Fork, while I get my bearings. Had dinner the other night with the Mayor and his lovely wife of Kalispell at the fantastic 406 grill.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tieva:
Welcome to the Flathead! Moved here over 22-years ago from back East, and have never looked back. Of course, you'll need to live through a few snowy, cold winters before you can begin to say you're a Montanan! Big Grin

Hahaha, winter doesn't scare me, but the gigantic trucks going over 80 down country roads...that's terrifying.

posted Hide Post
Welcome! I am in Livingston, south-central, north of Yellowstone National Park. Explore and visit, Montana is big!

Posts: 46 | Location: Montana | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Wait a minute, back up to the two Spanish girls part of the story... Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a drive up the road and eat here.

https://www.echolakecafe.com/

A few of us come and go out of the Flathead often. I have called it my second home for over 25 years. One day to be the only place called home.

Posts: 1153 | Location: western, Washington | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bearstarr:
Take a drive up the road and eat here.

https://www.echolakecafe.com/

A few of us come and go out of the Flathead often. I have called it my second home for over 25 years. One day to be the only place called home.

One of my favorite places! Been there many times these past 2 weeks. Amazing service and great food.

I can not begin to explain the comfort I feel in this awesome state.

posted Hide Post
https://www.woodsbaygrill.com/
This place has good BACON and you could own it.
First round is on me when I get back to MT.

Posts: 1153 | Location: western, Washington | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Good for you. Where did you grow up in Ohio? I live here in the snow belt. Oh yeah,, what about those Spanish girls?

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Go outside and wave "hi" to us on the West Shore.

Posts: 1472 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post