SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone with info on the 2014-17 Chevrolet SS in manual transmission?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone with info on the 2014-17 Chevrolet SS in manual transmission? Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
2017 SS overview

Example

They look decent in terms of cabin & trunk space, rear window visability, and power.

Anyone with experience with them? Somewhat concerned about the future and servicing and parts, since there don't seem to have been that many made in the first place & the engine factory is shuttered.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I would tread cautiously. The "new" GM seems to discontinue some parts at a faster rate than the old company especially soft trim and decorative items. While drivetrain parts do not concern me, the interior parts together with some electronic components and suspension items are more an issue.

That whole concept, the Caprice PPV and the SS both fell flat on their face. Really a shame, of course a lot of things GM does makes me scratch my head......

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
Disclaimer, I don’t own one, but would like to and I have friends that do.

They love them and so far have had no issues with parts. A lot of the parts are interchangeable with Holden commodore which they are based on. They do appear to be appreciating and if the G8 GT is any indication they will continue to do so. Good luck and post some pics if you get one.

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
The drive train should be solid, as you said. Per above, they are Holden copies and I believe they drive in a class above other GM sedans until you get to a Caddy-V. Chev also made a few years of the car as police interceptors for many states before releasing the SS for civilian sales.

Speaking only as a G8 owner, just expect to order on line or wait for unique parts or wiper blades ect. The Pontiacs can eat suspension parts like bushings and lower arms at about 60K. As to resale, the G8s were very inexpensive compared to the new SS, so I'd expect more loss but not less interest in the car. Manual trans was not common so you may have more interest down the road because of that.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Is this thing the public version of the police caprice?

Without a cage taking up all the room, the new Caprice would be a fun car. They are stupid fast. But that cage makes them uncomfortable with gear on.

However, I could think of a dozen or so others I'd buy first.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

With a manual transmission option?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, mostly I believe. I have a sport package on the G8, w/ 19" wls, stiffer susp, and bigger brakes. SS is similar. Not sure about the small changes like this with the police versions of the chevy. Most G8 also had 6.0L (6.2 in a few 2010 GXP), and new Chevys have 6.2.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
quote:

With a manual transmission option?

It'd be fun, no doubt. But I just gave up (manual) sporty and fun for a (manual) Jeep.

I've just had too many close calls while driving fast in car chases and such to want to get a fast car anymore. I pick the Ford Explorer SUV every time over anything else (though it's no slacker either).

Plus I don't like the Chevy's styling very much.

So it's strictly personal opinion. Nothing wrong with the car.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only 8,777 miles and already on the used car market? I'd take a real close look, and have a mechanic look at it, too, especially with regards to the clutch and transmission. I can't imagine it was originally bought by the same sort of person who buys a stick-shift Corvette, but I could be wrong.

We bought an Isuzu Rodeo about the same way, current model year and about 8,000 miles, no visible problems, and it turned out to be an ill-handling money pit. I suspect there was an accident that the previous owner didn't report.

By the way, we're in Illinois, the same reporting requirements will apply to the SS that we encountered, i.e. limited info reported to Carfax.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9153 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:

You could say that...but that is based on the Holden Statesman

This is based on the Holden Commodore from GM Australia...which was originally the Pontiac B8 EXP. They didn't discontinue it when they did away with Pontiac because it hardly cost them anything to keep in production since everything was already in the Holden bins.

It is in essence a 4-door Camaro with it's supercharged engine and, in later models, the electronic suspension.

One of my neighbors has one and it is a blast. It is very discreet...especially next to his chromed Camaro

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14183 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have a 2017 SS with the 6 spd manual trans. I traded my 2009 Pontiac G8 GT with 120K miles on it for the SS. Disclaimer - somewhat biased as I was a product trainer for GM before retirement.

I love my SS. The Pontiac was used for business as well as pleasure so the automatic trans was a plus as I was often in urban areas and/or heavy traffic. With retirement came the freedom to go when and where I wanted, so the manual transmission was my choice.

The major systems are in use throughout the GM line, so I don't see parts availability as a problem. The engine is the LS3 that was the base engine in the C6 Corvette. The trans is a Tremec 6060 and is used in other vehicles. Rheomagnetic suspension is also used on many GM vehicles and I love the dual mode exhaust - haven't taken it out of the "Sport" setting since I got the car. While compared to some cars these days the SS has less tech than many - and that suits me fine. I'm old school and think there is too much anyway. I can't get out of my garage without multiple warning lights and buzzers - PITA.

Terrific car that will likely appreciate in value and is a blast to drive in the meantime. Your only problem will be to find one. Good luck.

Feel free to PM or e-mail me if you have any specific questions.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1449 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
No real info other than I didn't know it existed until one started messing with me one day while I was motoring calmly along.

After realizing I wasn't playing, he zoomed off - surprised at the rate of departure and sound! Disappointed to have to lump him in with the Civics and Mustangs that seem unable not to challenge every actual sports car they come across. It was an isolated sample size of course.... Wink

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12411 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Fabulous responses, thanks!
I'm going to do some scoping around and may well get in touch with you, Bob, in particular.

Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Picking one up tomorrow 2016, 6 speed, every bell and whistle desired. Spending about 5K less than most online are being offered for. We shall see!

Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Picking one up tomorrow 2016, 6 speed, every bell and whistle desired. Spending about 5K less than most online are being offered for. We shall see!

Thats gonna be a fun slab of American beef! Congrats and enjoy! And post pics!

Posts: 5131 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post