SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lighter alternative for a Leatherman Surge. Suggestions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lighter alternative for a Leatherman Surge. Suggestions? Login/Join 
The Velvet Voicebox
posted
I've carried the Surge for some time. I love it, it's done great by me. Saved my ass many times. No problems except when I'm out and about I feel like I have a Batman type utility belt around my waist. Firearm, extra mag or two, phone, multi tool. It's bulky so any suggestions for a multi tool that's a bit less like I'm carrying a brick on my waist? This is the Surge.
Surge

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7655 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Leatherman Skeletool when I need to go light- Wave when I’m rolling heavy!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
SOG Powerlock, pliers are awesome. It's a few ounces lighter, closed - it's about 0.1" longer.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I've been using my own Surge over the last 18 months or so. Amazingly complete for my typical needs, yet it does weigh a lot and is bulky.

The best temporary solution I've come up with, is to have it 'somewhere near' when I need it.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
Try the Wingman. Way lighter.

I love the Surge, but it is too heavy for daily carry.
I love the Wave, but sometimes I want to go lighter than that.
I daily carry the Skeletool sometumes, but the pliers are super small and lots of reports of them breaking.

I decided to give the Wingman a try.
- big pliers.
- one hand open knife and scissors
- light weight
- pliers are spring loaded, which it turns out I love!
- $29 bucks

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look for a Blast.Its discontinued but makes a nice EDC.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1365 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Charge TTI.

Essentially the same tools but about 2/3 the weight. Been carrying one for about 15 years. Still a little heavy, but not too much so at around 8.5 oz. The Surge is 12.5.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
who was the member that had one fella here make him a kydex pouch for ankle carry ? of his leatherman wave.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the Charge as well. I've got one on right now. But they are not cheap.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triggertreat:
Look for a Blast.Its discontinued but makes a nice EDC.

No! It has everything I use and nothing I don't. Guess I better get shopping.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Leatherman Skeletool when I need to go light- Wave when I’m rolling heavy!

Exact same configuration here. Skeletool CX though.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wingman is my EDC. Enough tools and less weight.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys. Smile

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7655 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post