SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I have been ordering the same thing from Skyline for nearly 20 years and now they are no longer allowed to put mustard on the chilito??
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have been ordering the same thing from Skyline for nearly 20 years and now they are no longer allowed to put mustard on the chilito?? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Sadly the skyline chili here in Fort Lauderdale, FL which has been here for decades just closed last month. They do sell the chili in grocery stores frozen and in cans, probably nationwide. The frozen is better than the cans but not as good as the restaurant. This thread is making me miss a few weiner buns with cheese and a 3 way. I like skyline but much different than Texas chili.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armedprof:
No Skyline in Charlotte... I miss it and get the frozen at the grocery but it is not the same.

I worked there in college. That cheese is amazing but it becomes concrete on the plates after an hour. Makes cleaning the dishes a bear.

The only reason I can think of for the no mustard is that it is put on with a stick dunked in a bowl(or used to be). Maybe putting in in the burrito gets contaminates in the mustard... But they could put it in first before anything else and avoid that issue.

Man I could go for a four way, onion, inverted extra wet with extra cheese after the inversion.

Which one did you work at?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25357 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
That's asinine. I get removing an ingredient from a menu item. I even get charging extra for adding an ingredient that isn't included.

I don't get refusing to add an ingredient that you have on hand to a regular menu item when a customer requests it. Even more weird that they will add it to some items, and provide packets on the side for others.

Yep. You hit the nail on the head. I would ask a manager as to why. I think it's just some screw up with their internal communications.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
Is a chilito some sort of pasta burrito?

Yes.
Tortilla with chili, pasta, cheese, and MUSTARD wrapped up like a burrito it is glorious!!!

(throws up in mouth)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
This thread inspired me. I went to Kroger and bought a can of skyline and made 3-way:

I hadn't had Skyline in 20ish years, and it really hit the spot. I've also been in a rut with my cooking and this was definitely a rut breaker.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
Hey Black92LX: I just used Skyline's feedback form and pasted your rant. They said thanks and would be in touch shortly. I'll let you know here what they say. Glad to help.

Hey Black92LX: Just heard back from Skyline: "Hi Trey (this is my nephew-in-law's name. Never did like him), Thank you for reaching out about this experience you had. Can you please confirm which location you visited when this happened?" Post it here or email me & I'll respond to them. Let's burn this bitch who refuses a hungry man his mustard!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cne32507,

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Sadly the skyline chili here in Fort Lauderdale, FL which has been here for decades just closed last month. They do sell the chili in grocery stores frozen and in cans, probably nationwide. The frozen is better than the cans but not as good as the restaurant. This thread is making me miss a few weiner buns with cheese and a 3 way. I like skyline but much different than Texas chili.

They still have a location open in Sunrise... Skyline Chili 2834 N University Dr, Sunrise, FL 33322

We do the frozen version from Publix, the closest to us is in Clearwater.. Then Lakewood Ranch, Ft Myers, and Naples. At least we know where the family had vacation homes, this way they could write off holiday trips to FL in the Winter!

One member of the family that founded it, Lambrinides lived in my neighborhood for many years until he passed.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Make your own. Smile

This famous chili recipe was created by Nicholas Lambrinides, a Greek immigrant who founded a popular chain of chili restaurants in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1949. The inventor's Greek roots can clearly be seen in the unique blend of spices. As you'll see, this chili is quite different from the more common southwest-style chili you're probably used to. The secrets to this recipe are the long slow cooking as well as the overnight refrigeration, which allow for all the excess fat to be removed. I've also included the five ways to order this wonderfully different chili in a restaurant, which is usually served over spaghetti pasta.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/...-chili-recipe-101189

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Man this thread is making me miss Skyline. I worked for GE in Cincy and would eat at least 20 of those coneys per week. I like mine with cheese and a shit-ton of tobasco.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another skyline fan.
I met my wife at the Reading skyline!

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
NOT a fan, but there's nothing wrong with anyone trying it at least once.

I've always thought they called it the wrong thing, it's always seemed more like spaghetti sauce than chili, or maybe that's just me. Razz

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
Doesn't skyline use dowels in a container of mustard which they use to apply the mustard on the hot dog before they apply the chili on their coneys?

I assume they used the same apparatus for applying to the chilito, so I assume they applied it to the tortilla first.

Maybe it comes down to a personnel training issue.. and they have an employee / employees that can't get the order of operations right for mustard on a chilito and gets the container of mustard contaminated with chili.. so that location banned it because of dumb dumb?

Only other thing that comes to mind is that it is a covid casualty (given it doesn't make any sense gives it more credence). Maybe they used squeeze bottle of mustard for chilitos and those are no longer available (since everything is in single serving packaging now). This again ignores the mustard stick they use for coneys.

That said, I've never ordered a chilito with mustard (or pasta).. so I'm going to have to try that.

Posts: 249 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Hey Black92LX: I just used Skyline's feedback form and pasted your rant. They said thanks and would be in touch shortly. I'll let you know here what they say. Glad to help.

Hey Black92LX: Just heard back from Skyline: "Hi Trey (this is my nephew-in-law's name. Never did like him), Thank you for reaching out about this experience you had. Can you please confirm which location you visited when this happened?" Post it here or email me & I'll respond to them. Let's burn this bitch who refuses a hungry man his mustard!

The new Nicholasville location that just opened 2 weeks ago.

I was just going to let this slide and see how it went next time.

quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
NOT a fan, but there's nothing wrong with anyone trying it at least once.

I've always thought they called it the wrong thing, it's always seemed more like spaghetti sauce than chili, or maybe that's just me. Razz

I would agree chili may not be the best term but it is so delicious so I don’t care what they call it.

quote:
Originally posted by cyanide357:
Doesn't skyline use dowels in a container of mustard which they use to apply the mustard on the hot dog before they apply the chili on their coneys?

I assume they used the same apparatus for applying to the chilito, so I assume they applied it to the tortilla first.

Maybe it comes down to a personnel training issue.. and they have an employee / employees that can't get the order of operations right for mustard on a chilito and gets the container of mustard contaminated with chili.. so that location banned it because of dumb dumb?

Only other thing that comes to mind is that it is a covid casualty (given it doesn't make any sense gives it more credence). Maybe they used squeeze bottle of mustard for chilitos and those are no longer available (since everything is in single serving packaging now). This again ignores the mustard stick they use for coneys.

That said, I've never ordered a chilito with mustard (or pasta).. so I'm going to have to try that.

No clue but they have done it all through this Covid stuff so far with no issue.

I’ll go to the other location for lunch tomorrow and see what happens.

————————————————

SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Sounds like I’m missing out on one of life’s little pleasures. Alas I have never heard of Skyline or a “chilito”.

Its a disgusting attempt to make some sort of food. You are not missing out on much.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in Cincinnati for business and took the advice of HRK and went to Skyline. It was different than any chili that I have had before but I ate every bite and went back again every time I was in the city. I enjoy trying the local flavors.

I wish our supermarket had it in the freezer.

Posts: 406 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Calif Phil:
I was in Cincinnati for business and took the advice of HRK and went to Skyline. It was different than any chili that I have had before but I ate every bite and went back again every time I was in the city. I enjoy trying the local flavors.

I wish our supermarket had it in the freezer.

You can buy the chili in the can - dunno in your region but you could order from online locations - last time in Cinci, couple years ago I bought an entire flat of skyline, down to a handful so its almost time to make another "business trip" to see clients so I can justify a trip to buy more from the grocery store Big Grin

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:

Tortilla with chili, pasta, cheese, and MUSTARD wrapped up like a burrito it is glorious!!!

(throws up in mouth)

You can like what you like, but yeah - that has no appeal for me, and I'll eat damn near anything.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Currently at the offending location. Order placed, drink delivered, no mention of the mustard nonsense.

————————————————

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Currently at the offending location. Order placed, drink delivered, no mention of the mustard nonsense.

The power of SF! Chilitos with Mustard !

Although, I'm sticking with a home made 5 way tonight

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Back in the 1970s I had a similar incident regarding Hardie's in Illinois. I was with a group that went to one and I ordered one of their special brand burgers with just lettuce and mustard. They answered that it was not their policy to put mustard on their signature burger. So I asked for a regular hamburger with just lettuce and mustard and they responded that it was not their policy to put lettuce on a hamburger. I responded that it was not my policy to buy anything at Hardie's and went to another drive-in next door.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post