SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gun as a wedding present to myself...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun as a wedding present to myself... Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
No .22LR. I had a big response typed out, but one gun I wish I had was dads old Stevens tube fed bolt action .22. I can still smell the refinished stock and burned powder. First gun he let me shoot and I'd give a chunk of change to have it back. I do have his single action revolver, but the .22 stands out. It's tough as I'd want something a younger kid could shoot.

If no .22, then for a hand me down with adult useability, I'd say a tuned Colt 1911 .45, Browning HP or a pre lock Smith and Wesson 3" or 4" .357 Magnum. I'd stay with more mainstream calibers, no 10mm or .38 Super and guns that are mostly metal and have been proven and at least currently have parts and folks familiar with them. Dads Glock may be cool, but dads 1911 would be cooler.

There is, or was, a King Cobra in the classifieds.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Back in '81 my bride bought me a Python as a wedding gift. $505. The "snake" will eventually go to the grandsons. They'll have to fight it out!

My current suggestion for you will fit in your budget and still be an heirloom down the road.
A S&W Model 27-2 in prime condition is near-Python perfection and affordable. I have 2 (one for EACH grandson!) 27-2s that I bought for $450 and $800 (nickel) some years back.

Posts: 3999 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
I vote 1911. One of my most prized posessions is a clackamas kimber 1911 my best friend and now wife bought me for my birthday a few years ago. I will never sell it and my firstborn son will get it as a 21st bday present (assuming he isn't an asshole, which is possible.. I was an asshole when I was 21)

this was the only picture I could find

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would go with a Cooper rifle (or similar) with a beautiful wood stock. Small caliber so when the kids are young they can enjoy shooting it with you. I've helped several young teenagers smile ringing a gong at 5-600 yards.
Last for many generations.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1118 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the ideas and suggestions.

I'm leaning back towards a 1911 or a S&W Revolver.

I, however, know nothing about 1911's or Revolvers. So lets talk about features that I should/must have on a gun that says: "Man, that guy has good taste."

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
considering that you may very well be married for over 25 years,
I am thinking that a shotgun , a pistol and a rifle would be a good start to a new life with a wonderful woman

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

I, however, know nothing about 1911's or Revolvers. So lets talk about features that I should/must have on a gun that says: "Man, that guy has good taste."

There are still a decent amount of 1911s on the handgun roster, even though Colt has no more on the list, zilch. Can't get a Colt in CA unless you find a CA private party selling second-hand; so no Gunbroker. Les Baer has a good number of models, same with Nighthawk, and Sig. Dan Wesson has two on the roster, same with Ed Brown. Wilson is severely limited in what one can get, pretty much their "CA approved" models.

As far as revolvers, I love the S&W 27-2 and 28-2 Highway Patrolman, just classic pieces, but since these also are not on the roster, after a year, I gave up my search for a decently priced 27-2 and went with a 28-2 locally. To find in-demand off roster handguns, one must spend a lot of time looking at classifieds in CA based gun forums. And be prepared to spend more than the national average price.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
In that price range you can get a new Les Baer or if you find a good deal an Ed Brown. Dan Wessons are also great. The new blued Valor is gorgeous. I would stay away from off the shelf guns you can get anywhere. I don't find anything particularly special about the Colt option. I would not go used either.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I think a Sig Legion P226 is elegant enough to go wifh the tux. I am not sure what Emily says about BBQ guns at weddings?

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:

There are still a decent amount of 1911s on the handgun roster, even though Colt has no more on the list, zilch. Can't get a Colt in CA unless you find a CA private party selling second-hand; so no Gunbroker. Les Baer has a good number of models, same with Nighthawk, and Sig. Dan Wesson has two on the roster, same with Ed Brown. Wilson is severely limited in what one can get, pretty much their "CA approved" models.

As far as revolvers, I love the S&W 27-2 and 28-2 Highway Patrolman, just classic pieces, but since these also are not on the roster, after a year, I gave up my search for a decently priced 27-2 and went with a 28-2 locally. To find in-demand off roster handguns, one must spend a lot of time looking at classifieds in CA based gun forums. And be prepared to spend more than the national average price.

My local gun shop does single-action conversions of revolvers for new sales. You can then convert it back from single action after the transfer is complete. It's like the single shot exemption, but with revolvers.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Given that you're in California and the lack of Colt options, I'd go with the Revolver.

Sure, there are many nice 1911s that aren't Colts, but the ones which are clearly better and approaching equally heirloom-worthy are more expensive than your budget this time.

I think a 7-round Performance Center S&W in .357/.38 ticks all the right boxes and is within your budget without having to make any compromises, with several sizes and variations to choose from.

Good luck either way.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Nighthawk, Browning high power.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Given that you're in California and the lack of Colt options, I'd go with the Revolver.

Sure, there are many nice 1911s that aren't Colts, but the ones which are clearly better and approaching equally heirloom-worthy are more expensive than your budget this time.

I think a 7-round Performance Center S&W in .357/.38 ticks all the right boxes and is within your budget without having to make any compromises, with several sizes and variations to choose from.

Good luck either way.

Do you find Les Baer's to be inferior to Colt? You can get a Premier II or Custom carry for under $2000

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
My local gun shop does single-action conversions of revolvers for new sales.

Good for you, my two FFLs will not do this, pretty much since AB1964 passed a few years ago. Some shops will do it, some won't. Added to the mix is that many vendors in other states will refuse to ship an item to CA, say a 1970s S&W 29-2 (a Grail gun for me). They just do not want to get involved in questionable loopholes and the general craziness of CA gun laws. Can't say I blame them at all.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:

Good luck either way.

Do you find Les Baer's to be inferior to Colt? You can get a Premier II or Custom carry for under $2000

I don't, bought two of them last year from Crazy John (1911 Heaven), excellent guns, extremely accurate. CJ is great people Smile.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I've owned a Bear and a Brown and both were nice pistols, but to me - when talking 1911s - and particularly an item intended as an heirloom - then Colt is the only real answer, and - in the case of both Baer and Brown (and others) - the ones that I thought most approach Colt in this regard are the ones that are priced above $2000 (and they still aren't Colts).

It's picking nits for sure, but as someone else stated earlier in this thread - the Colt will always be a classic, undeniably so, today, ten years from now, fifty years later, it's THE name that most associate with 1911s and rightfully so.

If the conversation were about the least expensive way to get a nice 1911 for EDC, my answer would be different, and would include many other brands. This is different, IMO.

I carried a Kobra Carry for years, mind you, but I bought it for different reasons.

All nice pistols, though.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've owned a Bear and a Brown and both were nice pistols, but to me - when talking 1911s - and particularly an item intended as an heirloom - then Colt is the only real answer, and - in the case of both Baer and Brown (and others) - the ones that I thought most approach Colt in this regard are the ones that are priced above $2000 (and they still aren't Colts).

It's picking nits for sure, but as someone else stated earlier in this thread - the Colt will always be a classic, undeniably so, today, ten years from now, fifty years later, it's THE name that most associate with 1911s and rightfully so.

If the conversation were about the least expensive way to get a nice 1911 for EDC, my answer would be different, and would include many other brands. This is different, IMO.

I carried a Kobra Carry for years, mind you, but I bought it for different reasons.

All nice pistols, though.

I think the rock bottom colt prices these days are hurting the brand a bit. 5 years ago a blued series 80 was $900, now they can be found online for $650. Series 70's for under $800. Good for consumers and they still make a very good product but I don't think the collector value will be there like days passed. All the Talo and Lipsys guns look terrible too which doesn't help.

Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
henry Golden Boy for the mantle

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/1490051424. I'm guessing this is not an option?

Colt and Springfield 1911's seem to be the two that gunsmiths prefer to build on.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
An X5

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6005 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post