SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gun as a wedding present to myself...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun as a wedding present to myself... Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
A basic Colt Series 70 1911 can be had for a grand or so, which leaves some budget for mods and/or accessories (good magazines, nice holster, upgraded sights, grips, etc), and is a classic American handgun that would make a fine heirloom as is, or as a platform upon which to spend more later and make it even nicer if you choose.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It appears from your current firearms list that you have the self defense bases covered.

I suggest you consider a stainless Ruger Bisley 454 5.5inch barrel. Think about sending it to Magnaport for some hammer and trigger jeweling along with an action job. You will have a few bucks left for ammo so you can enjoy!

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'd get a Colt from their Custom Shop / Special Comabt lineup for that kind of money, if I was going for what you are looking for.

Why. First, it's American - you seem proud of your family's heritage and coming TO America, so get something American Made.

Second, it has brand recognition. Sure, DW or other 1911s are sweet and made here, but in 50-100 years, are they really going to be 'remembered'. Love it or hate it, the Colt 1911 is THE American handgun of the modern age.

Third, ammo is available. A 10MM might be the Boom of Doom, but that cartridge is expensive and not always available.

Fourth, it's maintainable. A P7M8 or SIG P210 might be sweet, but in 50+ years, who knows?

Just my opinion and what I would do. I have a basic Colt 1911, blued for the same purpose. My FIL did some trigger work on it, so it has some history now and will be fitting for one of my children, as some point.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
flashguy's suggestions.

ETA: or, if you can find one, a Beretta Billenium.

Make sure that Brownell's is on your gift registry!

Posts: 6470 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I'd get a Colt from their Custom Shop / Special Comabt lineup for that kind of money, if I was going for what you are looking for.

Why. First, it's American - you seem proud of your family's heritage and coming TO America, so get something American Made.

Second, it has brand recognition. Sure, DW or other 1911s are sweet and made here, but in 50-100 years, are they really going to be 'remembered'. Love it or hate it, the Colt 1911 is THE American handgun of the modern age.

Third, ammo is available. A 10MM might be the Boom of Doom, but that cartridge is expensive and not always available.

Fourth, it's maintainable. A P7M8 or SIG P210 might be sweet, but in 50+ years, who knows?

Just my opinion and what I would do. I have a basic Colt 1911, blued for the same purpose. My FIL did some trigger work on it, so it has some history now and will be fitting for one of my children, as some point.

This is where my thoughts went, just not as deep. Wink

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Same with the P7- in the classifieds on Calguns, I have seen them go from 3000-6000 bucks in the last year.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
You'd better add another 'zero' to your budget while you're at it. Razz

quote:
Originally posted by aparoche:
Love my P7M8 as well but they go for more like high $2K range, almost around $3K. The P7 with a European heel mag release go for around $1500 though.

Every time I see posts like this I get giddy knowing I got mine used in spotless condition, with a month of free range time, for the princely sum of $800.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Just adding another gun photo for giggles:

It's Angelina Jolie's gun from Wanted.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If you get that gun, you have to get the tattoo...too.

BTW- Safari Arms, yes?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. It's a custom Safari Arms Matchmaster.

Here's a standard Matchmaster:

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
A matched pair of 4inch model 19 S&W about dash 3 or so. Maybe one blue the other nickel. Well within your budget.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
How about a model 57 in 41 mag. Use the balance of your budget to get your wedding date engraved on it and send it somewhere cool for some work on the action.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
One reason that I suggested a shotgun is because the CA laws are so restrictive now that in 20 years who knows what will happen. Seems like you are going in a different direction though. So, two different new suggestions.

A S&W pre-lock N-frame, such as the 25, 625, 610, or Highway Patrolman.

Nice .22LR rifles. Buy three, four, or five depending on how many children that you intend to have. There is room in the budget for customizing and accessories. Each family member gets to use his or her own rifle when you go shooting. The kids have their own special rifles at an earlier age. And memories that you can share. CZ offers very good .22s.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
http://www.bowenclassicarms.co...ber_conversions.html

Something from Bowen. A slicked up Ruger Bearcat would be a great gun. Or a 44 Special. Not a Colt but at better prices.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
What jumped into my mind immediately was a Ruger Mark II or even the new Mark IV. Not a fancy gun but an instant classic. Moreover, it should leave you plenty of $$$ to get something to go along with it. A Randall knife would be a nice companion too. A semi-custom Hawken rifle or a Freedom Arms revolver would be on my list as well.
Congrats BTW!

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I kinda like the idea of his and hers Uberti cattlemen 1873 12 shot 22lr. You could display them nicely and pass them down. Unless of course this is your chance to get that BBQ gun you've always wanted. Best of luck to the happy couple.

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SkyOtter
posted Hide Post
How about an Uberti model 1873 short rifle in .357 magnum? 20" octagonal barrel, case colored:

Uberti 1873

------------------------------------------------------
There are two types of people in this world: Those who need closure,

Posts: 2561 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: June 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Mmm, thinking about it still... no change. Rifles for all the family, .22 LR. You want to shoot with your children. Your children will want to shoot with you. Enact the legacy sooner rather than later.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I'm leaning against anything in .22LR.

Primarily, this is a gun for me. The idea is, when I pass this down, this will be "Dad's gun," and then later it will be "Grandpa's gun that he gave to me, and now I give to you."

I'm looking for something in self defense caliber, or even hunting/shtf caliber. I want to carry it, use it, and not just plink with it. so that when I pass it along, it has some legacy to it.

I can buy my kids guns down the road.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Lots of good suggestions.
Consider a S&W Performance Center revolver such as the 627PC in .38 Super, and send it to Randy Lee at Apex to have him work his magic on it and take the trigger pull down to 5 lbs. and convert it to using 9 mm ammo in moon clips.
I recently had a young man shoot a number of my handguns and he liked that Apex 627PC the best. With apologies to Bruce, it's probably my favorite too.

Yes, should be under $2k.
[/IMG]

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
heres some extra fancy below. You could also get a custom 1911 in 9mm, or find a Colt 1911 in 38 super! last I saw those were going well over 2k though, the billenium too.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post