SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gun as a wedding present to myself...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun as a wedding present to myself... Login/Join 
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
about 40+ years ago I had a similar idea that morphed into the "1 gun I reallyReallyREALLY wanted" about once a year as funds allowed.

It really IS surprising (looking BACK) how rapidly that little toe hold on firearm history can grow.

I took the strategy similar to a coin collection, in that perhaps the 'entire collection' was not feasible nor the goal...but there ARE 'key coins' that represent considerable (and increasing) value over the decades.

One of my own 'first key' revolvers, given to me as a gift, was a 4" nickle Python. Who would have thought the value today of such a grand gesture so long ago? And how many moments of sheer pleasure over the decades?

Consider a 'yearly gift' to yourself of such key items. Of course your tastes will change, many unforeseen shifts will occur in the civil liberties area, and your own interest may flag from time to time, only to revive yet again.

Great idea you have there Aeteocles, agree with your plan.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
My son recently bought a Desert Eagle in 50 Action Express (a Mark 19, chrome) - he's very satisfied with it, and recommends it.

He said that if you're feeling wild, you can get the Mark 19 in gold plate, with tiger stripes, and have it engraved - that should meet your 2K budget. Doesn't include ammunition though.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Well, a little bit about myself and the guns I have so far...

I have a CCW and I carry most every day here. I'm only allowed to have 3 guns on my carry card, and those are currently a P229, a Glock 23, and a S&W Shield, all in .40.

Aside from that, I have an HK USP .40 that's been worked over by Bruce Gray as my SHTF, home defense, and gun class gun, a S&W 686 3" 357 mag and a Sig Mosquito.

For long guns I have a Daniel Defense DD-M4v5, a Springfield M1A Socom, a Remington/Magpul 870 pump shotgun, and a Ruger 10/22. My long guns get range time and training class time as self defense weapons, no sporting clays or hunting.

I wouldn't mind a decked out 1911 that I can wear as a CCW when I'm feeling fancy--I take good care of my things and don't mind honest wear when I hand it down. I also wouldn't mind a large caliber revolver or something in 10mm that I could carry as a camping gun. Lastly, if I went with a long gun, I would probably lean towards a bolt action with some nice wood over a shotgun, though a nice O/U or SxS sounds suddenly has some appeal.

Also, I wouldn't give my kids anything until they're well into adult hood. For instance, this wedding gun to myself might be a good gift for one of their weddings.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

What would you buy yourself? Nothing too crazy, certainly no more than $2k. Something classic/classy that will last a lifetime of shooting and will age gracefully, perhaps a little out of the ordinary. Something on the dressy side, or has a bit of "oooh, that's sweet!" factor. Bonus points for being a good platform for some engraving work, or for being a good carry or camping gun.

You listed a few very nice handguns, but I would suggest that what you describe above sounds like a Henry Big Boy Deluxe.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifle...ngraved-3rd-edition/

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1903 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
Nice shotgun like a Beretta Silver Pigeon.

ETA: Sorry didn't see your post about not hunting or doing shotgun sports. Be a nice safe queen thoughSmile

Posts: 1958 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
Of the guns you have on your list so far, and considering what you aleady have, I'd lean toward a Colt Python or the H&K P7.

Both guns are timeless in defining their era. The fact that both are out of production just adds to the draw.

Should you want to personalize them later, they both take very well to engraving or plating

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nothing too crazy, certainly no more than $2k.

Then, you can stop talking about the P210 or the Python. They are already way passed $2k in the free states. In Cali, they would be even much more.

The King Cobra might be doable.

Q

Posts: 26375 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Nothing too crazy, certainly no more than $2k.

Then, you can stop talking about the P210 or the Python. They are already way passed $2k in the free states. In Cali, they would be even much more.

The King Cobra might be doable.

Sads. Even a beater that I can refinish?

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Same with the P7- in the classifieds on Calguns, I have seen them go from 3000-6000 bucks in the last year.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by two-two-niner-romeo:
quote:

What would you buy yourself? Nothing too crazy, certainly no more than $2k. Something classic/classy that will last a lifetime of shooting and will age gracefully, perhaps a little out of the ordinary. Something on the dressy side, or has a bit of "oooh, that's sweet!" factor. Bonus points for being a good platform for some engraving work, or for being a good carry or camping gun.

You listed a few very nice handguns, but I would suggest that what you describe above sounds like a Henry Big Boy Deluxe.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifle...ngraved-3rd-edition/

Oh, that looks fun too. So many options!

posted Hide Post

My son recently bought this CZ Tactical Sport Orange. It is a fine pistol.

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
Heckler and Koch P7M8
Hadn't considered that. Adding it to the research list.
You'd better add another 'zero' to your budget while you're at it. Razz

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
SAA, a quality 1911, a lever action rifle in your choice of caliber, and/or a Shiloh Sharps.

Any of the above would meet your requirements, though the SAA and the Sharps push the envelope of your budget.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
One of my co-workers just bought himself a FN-FAL as a wedding present.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps save another 1.5-2k and get a Wilson Combat 1911.

Posts: 259 | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
Heckler and Koch P7M8

This is what jumped to my mind as well. I love mine and it is definitely classic/classy and ages gracefully. You have to respect something that was proudly marketed as "The most expensive handgun in the world".

http://www.gunfaqs.org/P7FAQ/M...Ad%20July%201988.jpg

"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."</ferrisbueller>

They may be a little hard to come by these days though.

I recently picked up a Legion P226 SAO, it is also a very fine specimen and easily in your range.

If you are interested in something unique and heirloom friendly as an introduction to guns for children/grandchildren take a look at the Ruger Bearcat single action .22 revolver is a neat little gun and perfect for introducing youngsters to handguns. I was given one from my step mother before she passed and my grandkids love it. Basic gun easily handled by small hands with nicely engraved touches.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/...wBearcat/models.html

Congrats on the wedding, smart man realizing the ceremony is her show and you are just there as window dressing. We just celebrated our 30th anniversary a few months back. If you choose wisely and everyone does their part it can be a wonderful thing.

Love my P7M8 as well but they go for more like high $2K range, almost around $3K. The P7 with a European heel mag release go for around $1500 though.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hk91308:
Perhaps save another 1.5-2k and get a Wilson Combat 1911.

It doesn't sound like the money to buy this gun is going to come from skipping a few meals so if it's just a matter of biding time until the discretionary funds are raised, I like this idea.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
A Performance Center revolver would be within budget, and on the CA approved list.

Either a 625 or 627 would be a nice addition and a good shooter.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
What would you buy yourself? Nothing too crazy, certainly no more than $2k. Something classic/classy that will last a lifetime of shooting and will age gracefully, perhaps a little out of the ordinary.

Colt Special Combat .45 ACP

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...ombat+8+1+45ACP+5%22

Or a classic .45 ACP Colt, Series 70

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...es+70+7+1+45ACP+5%22

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colby Bruce:

My son recently bought this CZ Tactical Sport Orange. It is a fine pistol.

Holy heck that's a hot gun.