SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gun as a wedding present to myself...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun as a wedding present to myself... Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted
I'm toying with the idea of buying myself a gun as a wedding present to myself. My parents came here as immigrants from Vietnam with few personal belongings, and so I don't have any heirlooms from my parents or my grandparents (never even met either of my grandfathers). So, now that I'm getting married and planning my future family, I'd like to create a few meaningful family heirlooms. Figure that the future wifey gets to blow a bunch of our money on a wedding, a bunch of jewelry, and a sizeable lump of carbon to wear on her finger, I should get something nice for myself as well (but a Rolex GMT II or a Omega Speedmaster isn't quite in the budget this year)

What would you buy yourself? Nothing too crazy, certainly no more than $2k. Something classic/classy that will last a lifetime of shooting and will age gracefully, perhaps a little out of the ordinary. Something on the dressy side, or has a bit of "oooh, that's sweet!" factor. Bonus points for being a good platform for some engraving work, or for being a good carry or camping gun.

Some guns I'm considering, just to get the discussion started:

Colt Delta Elite 10MM
Dan Wesson Valor .45
Sig 210 Legend
S&W Revolver of Some Sort
Colt Python or other "snake" gun?

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I like the idea, what arm exactly depends on your desires. You could get 2 or 3 to meet the $$ limit.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
I think your idea is a great one. I am leaning toward a nicely blued Colt 1911. So much history and beauty too. One of the mod 70 repros would be cool. Best wishes and congratulations on starting your family!
Tom

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
When I retired, I bought myself a 1918/1920 Luger from Mr. Luger.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1728 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Heckler and Koch P7M8

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I think tradition is 3-4 months salary. Big Grin

I say find yourself an X-Five.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dad bought be a pre-war Colt Ace.22 1911 when I was 15, it's what I learned to shoot pistols with and if I ever have kids they will most likely learn on it. There a quite a few old colt and high standard .22 pistols that would pass down nicely if they interest you.

Edit to add that you mentioned not having anything passed down to you which was the case with my grandparents. If your not really looking for something to pass down in the future I could see it not being really as a good idea.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
That's an excellent idea. I suggest a SIG P226 SAO. And be sure to display it among the other wedding gifts.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
Heckler and Koch P7M8

Hadn't considered that. Adding it to the research list.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
First thing that came to mind was a Colt Python but an older S&W revolver would work too.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
Heckler and Koch P7M8

This is what jumped to my mind as well. I love mine and it is definitely classic/classy and ages gracefully. You have to respect something that was proudly marketed as "The most expensive handgun in the world".

http://www.gunfaqs.org/P7FAQ/M...Ad%20July%201988.jpg

"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."</ferrisbueller>

They may be a little hard to come by these days though.

I recently picked up a Legion P226 SAO, it is also a very fine specimen and easily in your range.

If you are interested in something unique and heirloom friendly as an introduction to guns for children/grandchildren take a look at the Ruger Bearcat single action .22 revolver is a neat little gun and perfect for introducing youngsters to handguns. I was given one from my step mother before she passed and my grandkids love it. Basic gun easily handled by small hands with nicely engraved touches.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/...wBearcat/models.html

Congrats on the wedding, smart man realizing the ceremony is her show and you are just there as window dressing. We just celebrated our 30th anniversary a few months back. If you choose wisely and everyone does their part it can be a wonderful thing.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10930 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe tell us more about what you like to do; skeet, trap, etc. Buy a Beretta over under, target shooter, how about a nice cz rifle? Collector? m1 Garland or 1940's 1911?

Posts: 1702 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
M1 Garand

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Nothing remotely Polymer! I second the Colt Python, perhaps a 4"? Maybe some uber 1911 that sings to you?

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Unless you have a private source for your choices, none of these are on the CA handgun roster. So a ppt purchase would be your only path. And used Colt Pythons are going for way more than $2k in CA...

A Les Baer Premier II is still on the roster and can be had for $2k. I have one (I also bought one for my son's 18th birthday) and it is a keepsake.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Colt SAA in .45 Colt or .44-40. Pistole 08 in 9mm parabellum. Ruger Old Model Blackhawk SA in .45 Colt or .44 Magnum, 4 5/8" or 7 1/2" barrel.

Garand M-1 in .30-06, Ruger #1 in almost any caliber. Henry "Yellow Boy" in .45-70.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hard to answer, kinda depends on what you already have (since any quality forearms you own will be able to be passed down).

I like the M1 Garand and/or M1 Carbine idea, great guns, still able to get them, but they are getting harder and harder to find at a decent price, by the time your kids are able to own them, they will probably be big $$$$$.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the wedding.

What a great idea.

For a good carry or camp gun, I may consider an older S & W, maybe in .44 Special. Great platform for engraving and very serviceable for camp or carry.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Over/Under shotgun or Side-by-Side shotgun.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Some guns I'm considering, just to get the discussion started:

Colt Delta Elite 10MM
Dan Wesson Valor .45
Sig 210 Legend
S&W Revolver of Some Sort
Colt Python or other "snake" gun?

Just working off your list, I'd say this:

The Delta Elite is a stock 1911 in 10mm. Don't get me wrong they do still amuse me. For an S&W revolver, you can fit a lot of choices from the Performance Center in that $2k range. A Dan Wesson would be a nice choice, and keep in mind their 10mm offering. I don't think a P210 of any sort can be had for under $2k, perhaps I'm wrong, as the old military contract guns are now well known. Used to be you could get an M49 or similar for ~$800, not so much anymore.

A P7M8, or a PSP would be a great choice, I enjoy those as well. Though, I'd say that a Colt Python from the 60's or 70's is a piece that can bring many years of satisfaction at the range. Look for an Officers Model Match, these pistols became the Python, if you are interested.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post