SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wanna hear about Bass Pro shooting ranges? (A slight rant)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wanna hear about Bass Pro shooting ranges? (A slight rant) Login/Join 
JOIN, or DIE
posted
Going into a Bass Pro or any other large box store, they check and put a trigger lock on your gun before you go shoot. Just left Bass Pro because of a new policy. They want to count your bullets. Thats right, they want to count each and every round that you are bringing in to shoot. The final straw was getting to the range part and the employee hands me a form to fill out that has basically all the data you wouod need to steal someone's identity. The previous customers forms were all in a stack on the counter, available to be stolen by anyone. He didnt know where they went after and if they were shredded or not. I scratched out my form half way through, crumpled it and put it in my bag. I left and did not spend a dollar there. Bass Pro will not be getting a dollar from me again.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Which state, please?

Posts: 107556 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
Texas. The guy said it is corporate wide now. Said the reason is that apparently people steal ammo before going to shoot.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
'cause stealing it afterwards makes no sense

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

posted Hide Post
But there are no 30-06 or 30-07 signs up so they only put a lock on your gun if you are going to shoot there. I don't use their range because it is too expensive and you have to buy your ammo there. Too bad because they are convenient.

Posts: 329 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I hope they don't screw up Cabela's like this. I feel fortunate, after reading this and other "range nazi" stories, that I have an easygoing range to shoot at.

Posts: 27945 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another well thought out customer policy from corporate headquarters. I guess they are attempting to "downsize their customer base".

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, we all know how very reasonable are those Bass Pro ammunition prices.

For me, this alone would be enough to ensure that I never visited their range.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Bass pro should go join Gander Mountain in the downward spiral to oblivion. I remember watching Topshot and when they won a match the host would be like "here's your $2000 bass pro gift card." In my head I was thinking "sweet this guy can now buy a Ruger LCP and half a box of ammo."

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our bass pro here in Ashland VA, does not have a range. The local Cabela's 15 miles away does not either. However there is a very nice new range just across the road from BassPro

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Bass pro should go join Gander Mountain in the downward spiral to oblivion. I remember watching Topshot and when they won a match the host would be like "here's your $2000 bass pro gift card." In my head I was thinking "sweet this guy can now buy a Ruger LCP and half a box of ammo."

"Grab your packs"

Lol so true

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't Bass Pro buy someone or were bought by someone?

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
They bought Cabela's.

In this case, two negatives don't make a positive.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
'cause stealing it afterwards makes no sense

alright, that made me LOL.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I went the BassPro range about 8-10 years ago. A royal PITA with them checking your guns at the door and putting a lock on them so you can walk 50 feet to the range where they take the lock off. All the time with a legal concealed carry gun under my shirt. Then they only had I believe 10 lanes and there was a long wait. Haven't been back.

Check that... I did go back to sight in a rifle in their "rifle tube" It was winter, cold and snowy and I wanted to sight in a new scope on my 30.06. Another PITA. Check at the door, make a reservation ahead of time and then they only allowed 30 minutes. Roll Eyes

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"Rifle tube", Gracie?

Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Rifle tube", Gracie?

At some of their ranges they have a 100 yard rifle sighting range that is a tube about 12 inches in diameter.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgshooter:
quote:
"Rifle tube", Gracie?
At some of their ranges they have a 100 yard rifle sighting range that is a tube about 12 inches in diameter.
I can use it to sight in my .375 H&H. Razz

posted Hide Post
quote:
I can use it to sight in my .375 H&H.

I am not sure they carry that ammo in their store. Remember you have to use their ammo. Perhaps they could order it for you for a princely sum.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mad mike
posted Hide Post
I have never had to purchase their ammo, but it's been a year or better since I visited that range.

Posts: 207 | Location: D/FW, Texas | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post