SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    screw in car antenna - locktite?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

screw in car antenna - locktite? Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted
anyone use locktite on their screw in car antenna mast? if so; red? purple?

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
anyone use locktite on their screw in car antenna mast? if so; red? purple?

I assume you’re having a loosening issue? I’d try a little aluminum foil first, or maybe a strand of fine copper wire to crush in the threads when you tighten- perhaps even a small lock washer. I wouldn’t want any compound that might interfere with the reception.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15548 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Definitely NOT red. Maybe one drop of purple if anything at all.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8846 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30635 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Would Teflon pipe thread tape interfere with reception? I gotta try this!

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Fingernail polish.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
Would Teflon pipe thread tape interfere with reception? I gotta try this!

Probably if the threads are a continuation of the signal.
If it connects elsewhere then Teflon would work.
I like the alum foil or flattened copper wire idea better.

Posts: 22888 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I replaced the long antenna on my Colorado a few months back with a shorter one. I just screwed it down finger tight and it has always been solid. I would not add anything like LocTite.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5034 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Simple problem, simple answer; wrench.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12390 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Super glue type stuff imo.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Auto car washes need to remove your antenna .
If you wash your auto use what you want,mine ,I use an open wrench to tighten after it gets washed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 45 Cal,

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I assume you’re having a loosening issue?
I was thinking anti-theft. Wrapped base with an old t-shirt and put the pliers to it. Should be good - but the availability of these on ebay makes me think they're swapped out a lot.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
an inch of electrical tape

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post