SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dropped the youngest off this morning, headed to Parris Island GRADUATED! Pg3
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dropped the youngest off this morning, headed to Parris Island GRADUATED! Pg3 Login/Join 
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted
Dropped him off at the recruiters office this morning.
They are driving to MEPS Columbus, staying overnight and then flying to SC in the morning.
Wish him luck, gonna be hot down there!

They are in the middle of the Crucible right now, around 8am Saturday morning he will officially be a Marine.

Graduation will be 2 weeks from today.

All of his letters have been positive, and he has passed all tests on the 1st try.
Qualified Expert on the range too!

Can't wait to get down there and see him.
He made me a deal in his last letter, that if either one of us cries when we pick him up, it's just the humidity, lol.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ElKabong,

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck devildog! (Devil-pup?) The heat and humidity will be brutal, i did basic and IN training at Benning July through Sep and it was a bit warm.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I have a feeling he's not going to be smiling like that in a few days. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Good luck devildog! (Devil-pup?) The heat and humidity will be brutal, i did basic and IN training at Benning July through Sep and it was a bit warm.

I can't even imagine that.

I was at Benning from January through June and got all the seasons, sometimes in a single day. It was bad enough in June when I left. Guys falling out due to heat injuries.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Parris Island

4th Battalion is at PI, he'll do fine. Semper Fi.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Is it too early to wish him Semper Fi? Another fine young man going into military service. A good calling.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Dad! I want you to wish the little maggot good luck for me. In about 12 weeks time you will have one of the worlds finest warriors as your son. He will be transformed into a U.S. Marine, one of the few and the proud.

Semper Fi!

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck to your son! I went thru Parris Island in August to October of 1964. Four year active duty enlistment and two year inactive reserve. Deployed 29 months of a 48 month enlistment. Made PFC twice finished enlistment Sgt-E5. Naval ships I was on Terrel County 1157, Waldo County 1163, Lorain County 1177, Henry County 824, Okinawa LPH3,IwoJima LPH2, USNS General E.D.Patrick T-AP-50 and Fremont APA-44. Finished my active duty enlistment at GITMO with 3RdBN-8Th Marines. Agent Orange Recipient and "Pardon Me What Did You" in regards to hearing.

Hopefully your son's enlistment will pass with out incident and prepare him for life's journey!

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
Congratulations Dad! I want you to wish the little maggot good luck for me. In about 12 weeks time you will have one of the worlds finest warriors as your son. He will be transformed into a U.S. Marine, one of the few and the proud.

Semper Fi!

This ^^^ and the transformation is amazing!

I went to PI for my grandson's graduation and I couldn't believe it was the same young man that left. I'm not usually an emotional guy, but I don't mind saying I shed a tear or three as I shook his hand after the ceremony.

Congratulations to you, your family and your son!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
He’s gonna fucking hate that he went in the summer...

Best wishes for him, in a few months you will have a whole new person, enjoy him and tell him thanks for his service.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your future Marine.
Both of our sons graduated from there and we could not be more proud on a daily basis.
Be sure to write letters frequently. He might not get them right away, but he will get them and they help during boot camp.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Fine looking young man.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Congrats. Take picture again when returns from basic Wink

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Good for him! I wish him luck.

It's been almost 53 years since I stepped off the bus at PI. I hear it's changed some.Smile

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to him, and thanks for not talking him out of it. When you get the phone call from him the hour he arrives at Parris Island, don't freak out. It's a freakable moment. Just remember that every day the Marines are taking care of him. When you see him next, he will be nearly unrecognizable.

If you are on facebook, Parris Island has its own page and you can follow his company and maybe see pictures of him in training.

Congrats again from a fellow Marine parent.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
He’s gonna fucking hate that he went in the summer...

Ya fuckin hate it anytime of the year! Those guys in the Campaign Covers make sure of that!

Dad, congratulations!
He's about to go through one of the toughest things he's done up to this point of his life. It's going to change him.

In a few long weeks, a bunch of us will be able to tell him "Welcome to the Club" and Semper Fidelis! Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 362 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
We Marines talk a lot of trash about which Boot Camp is hardest, PI or San Diego.

I was a Hollywood Marine, and I’ll take those mountains over the sand fleas in the Carolinas any effing day!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Good to know we are still growing patriots! My younger son graduated boot camp 12 years ago. We went to the graduation and had a great proud moment watching him march across that parade ground. You have good reason to be very proud of your son!

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
He'll be fine. I was at PI from May to August. It is hot, but due to heat related casualties, they limit certain things during certain "Black Flag" conditions. Although what happens behind the treelines, or in barracks will still happen, DI's are very strict about this, as their ass is on the line if they don't follow orders.

I actually remember morning PT being pretty enjoyable, weather wise. I'd rather go through it during the summer months, than the winter months.

Ronin, I read something about PI or SD, and it involved DI's who had trained at both. The consensus was SD was more physically challenging, while PI was more mentally challenging.

ElkaBong, your son is in good hands. They (DI's) want your son to succeed. They just have an odd way of doing it.

Please keep us posted.

Semper Fi!

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dang, you and mom should be proud as hell. Good job mom and dad!

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post