SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dropped the youngest off this morning, headed to Parris Island GRADUATED! Pg3
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dropped the youngest off this morning, headed to Parris Island GRADUATED! Pg3 Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
He'll do great. It is going to be hot.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’d be very proud too. Yes, some letters and make plans to be at graduation.

I went through Ft Leonard Wood, MO the Summer of 1981, then back for a relative’s graduation 8 years ago. It was great to go back.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
He’s gonna fucking hate that he went in the summer...

Ya fuckin hate it anytime of the year! Those guys in the Campaign Covers make sure of that!

Dad, congratulations!
He's about to go through one of the toughest things he's done up to this point of his life. It's going to change him.

In a few long weeks, a bunch of us will be able to tell him "Welcome to the Club" and Semper Fidelis! Wink

I went to summer camp there. June 04- August 25.

Fuck summer sucks. Black flag every day. Hot, humid, chance of showers in the afternoon. Bad mirage at the 300 yard line by 9 AM.

Good times.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Be very proud of that young man, and the Man that will be returning home.

Posts: 2774 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
We Marines talk a lot of trash about which Boot Camp is hardest, PI or San Diego.

I was a Hollywood Marine, and I’ll take those mountains over the sand fleas in the Carolinas any effing day!

Do you still have your issued sunglasses that all Hollywood Marines get in boot camp. Big Grin

I reported to PI in July of 77 and graduated in October and Yes it will be hot as hell. He will learn to ignore the sand fleas, one way or another Big Grin Best of luck. Semper Fi.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Good luck devildog! (Devil-pup?) The heat and humidity will be brutal, i did basic and IN training at Benning July through Sep and it was a bit warm.

Yep, same here. Basic, Infantry School, Airborne School August through January, Harmony Church barracks. Summer of ‘85. It was toasty through a good bit. He’s young, he’ll adapt and overcome. Good Luck and best wishes.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
He is joining a brotherhood that will benefit him the rest of his life, regardless of whether he does one enlistment or makes it a career. I went through Parris Island in the spring of 1988 and while it wasn’t summer it still sucked. Best of luck to him and Semper Fi!

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you both.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you both.
I wish him the best of luck in his chosen endeavor.

What MOS is he hoping for?

It always makes me proud when I see a young person step up and think/give to something bigger than themselves.

I went to Fort Knox KY for OSUT in Oct 1993 and Basic training in Sept 2010. It was cold, windy, icy etc..

I cannot understand why I went then because i love the heat.

I don't think it matters what branch you choose, but when you step off that bus and the shark attack begins: it is the biggest slap in the face and what did I volunteer for moment none of us forgets.

Heck I did it twice and it was just as much of a shocker the second time as the first.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
EMBRACE THE SUCK!!!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post

That’s him in the middle, white shirt, doesn’t look too happy lol.
Pic from the Facebook page that MCRD-Parris Island posts stuff on every day.
The kid in red up front has that 1000yd stare already.

He tried for ROTC, but had a serious case of senioritis and didn’t get accepted.
He decided to go Reserves and go to college locally.
He was accepted into Intel if he went full time, but ended up with 0352 Anti-tank missile-man, not many choices at the local Reserves unit I guess.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2914 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG Forum Lurker
posted Hide Post
Hollywood marine here 1968. “Improvise, adapt, overcome”! A line from a movie, but skills taught at SD or PI!

Semper Fi

Posts: 65 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you all! I did 11B10 OSUT at Ft. Benning, started first week of August. Up to that point I'd have called you a liar if you said you could scald your hands doing pushups on limestone gravel in the Georgia sunshine. I do NOT miss those days, though they changed my direction in life dramatically for all time.

Be proud of the son you've raised.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Things have changed.
Off the bus, yellow footprints.
There was no receiving building like they have now. Basically a quonset and it was hot as fuck.
Sat in a desk like they have in schools and stayed up all night. Guys who dozed off got smoked.
Next day was haircut, uniforms, drug test and more. Worst memory was carrying the mattress from our rack down 3 flights of stairs to the pit to shake it out.
June 1986 and I remember it like it was yesterday.
Congrats Dad.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
quote:
Parris Island

4th Battalion is at PI, he'll do fine. Semper Fi.

Now that's funny right there.

My daughter graduated from 4th battalion 4 years ago. Good luck to your son. The best advice is to encourage him never to quit. I lost 60 pounds during my time at MCRD San Diego.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Columbus is where I processed through.
Good luck to him, it’s worth all the sweat !

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:

He was accepted into Intel if he went full time, but ended up with 0352 Anti-tank missile-man, not many choices at the local Reserves unit I guess.

LOL, my son wanted Engineers, but ended up 0352, because there would have been a delay in his entry if we waited for an opening in Engineers. It seems everyone that is 0352 wanted to be something else.

Thank goodness, though. My son says they are few and far between in 0352. More needed. My son was the senior missileman in his company as a Corporal.

After boot camp and 10 days home, we will likely go to Camp Geiger at Camp Lejeune, NC for 13 weeks of infantry training. My son said Infantry School was tough, but much better than boot camp. He got some freedom to leave base occasionally to go shopping or get something to eat.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:

LOL, my son wanted Engineers, but ended up 0352, because there would have been a delay in his entry if we waited for an opening in Engineers. It seems everyone that is 0352 wanted to be something else.

Thank goodness, though. My son says they are few and far between in 0352. More needed. My son was the senior missileman in his company as a Corporal.

After boot camp and 10 days home, we will likely go to Camp Geiger at Camp Lejeune, NC for 13 weeks of infantry training. My son said Infantry School was tough, but much better than boot camp. He got some freedom to leave base occasionally to go shopping or get something to eat.

Yep, to Camp Geiger after 10 day leave.

Quick update....
He's a couple weeks into basic, received 4 or 5 letters so far, we have several people writing to him.
I can tell he has a different perspective on life already..lol.

Graduation Oct 4th if everything goes well, he says they have dropped several recruits from heat exhaustion and injuries.

He says they are getting IT'd pretty hard because of some screw ups that can't drill for squat. He lead color guard in his high school MC-JROTC, so he is probably ahead of the curve there.

Already issued a not so new and shiny M16A4, grass week coming up 2 weeks from now I think.
I told him if he doesnt qualify Expert I'm painting his truck pink before he comes home.

--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2914 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Latest update in OP, he's doing great!

--Riff Raff--

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
My #1 son/couch potato signed up on his own determination, hit Camp Pendleton circa 1988.

Don't know how they did it but he came back a genuine Man. Caught Gulf I as Farsi interpreter.

Congratulations on getting yours this far along.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post