SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What possible abuse of canned compressed air?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What possible abuse of canned compressed air? Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
On a spray-can of 'Oust' - fart-hider spray - in our downstairs bathroom, it clearly reads-

SOLVENT
ABUSE
CAN KILL
INSTANTLY

It did exactly that at our daughter's school when one of her classmates snorted a a can of hairspray and died right there in front of everybody.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Because people are stupid. And if you don’t put a disclaimer on something in this country, they will line up to sue because they are that stupid.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I made the guy at Wal-Mart laugh the other day. I had to get him to do the age check nonsense at the self check out for the can of carb cleaner I bought. He sort of apologized for it and I said 'No that's alright, we can't have kids just running around cleaning carburetors now can we?!" Wink

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I bought this one:

“Falcon Dust, Off Compressed Gas (152a) Disposable Cleaning Duster.”

www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AE67M/r...c_fabc_J330FbDHAMGPB

It’s quite handy. I use it most often to blow dust and lint off my iPhone screen and my MacBook keyboard with a short blast.

And a couple of days ago I accidentally put a shirt in my washing machine with a favorite ballpoint pen still in its pocket. After rinsing and wiping it, I used the compressed air to blow most of the remaining water out of its barrel.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Have you tried huffing it yet?

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
In 1999, five Penncrest High School juniors were killed when a car driven by a 16-year-old struck a tree on Route 1 in Chester Heights. Dimitri Contostavlos, then the Delaware County medical examiner, found that the driver and three passengers had difluoroethane in their blood. An empty can of Dust-Off was in the car. I believe the M.E. tested Dust-Off effects by discharging two cans into a small car with the windows up, before releasing his findings.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
I believe the M.E. tested Dust-Off effects by discharging two cans into a small car with the windows up, before releasing his findings.

Simply spraying a can or two into the air inside a car would not likely have much of an effect at all. It's heavier than air, so it would simply settle to the bottom of the passenger compartment, and it's very unlikely that there's enough volume of ethane in two cans to fill the interior of even a very small car to sufficient concentration to trigger the high.

Rather, people abuse it by directly inhaling concentrated doses straight from the can, e.g. sticking the straw in mouth/nose and inhaling while spraying it.

They were almost certainly cruising around and merely passing around the can while taking turns huffing directly from it.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Just to add a little color to the discussion.
There is a compressed air product that has a dome shaped top and looked like an enlarged dildo. I discovered during a sex assault investigation in 2008 that it was a favorite object for those of that persuasion to insert into their rectum for whatever gratification one gets from such a thing. It came to light when the guy had to go to the ER to get it removed. The ER photos were noteworthy.

Universal precautions are indicated when opening the package...

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
"I swear, Doc... I was just getting out of the shower, and I slipped and fell on it."

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

They were almost certainly cruising around and merely passing around the can while taking turns huffing (directly from the can).

Not all that different than what we did back when we were teens. We'd score a 12 pack of Miller or Bud and go cruising, all packed in the passenger compartment. We'd do our best to get wasted on a couple of beers each. Then toss our stomach contents and the evidence/empties. Yeah, out the window. Wasn't very ecologolically sound, but better than having an empty 3.2 beer can where we could get caught with it.

Sure, the cops were a risk factor, but not nearly as bad as one of our parents! Cops never ceased to get amused at how 5 or 6 kids could get that drunk on almost nothing. Today's kids are just stupid. Compressed air gets them drunk... And costs a lot more per can.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I remember when fools would huff spray paint...but it was easy to identify them. Gold seemed to be their favorite choice.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Simply spraying a can or two into the air inside a car would not likely have much of an effect at all.
You are testing my brain cells here but this is what I remember: M.E. was unorthodox, small car, windows up, guy sat in the parking lot and discharged the cans close to his face, breathing deeply all he while. And this was the late 1990s recipe, not the current stuff.

The M.E. found that the stuff was evil and listed cause of accident as something related to difluoroethane intoxication. It was a big deal at the time, as parents were quick to say there must have been some other cause. The driver was flooring the pedal and ran her four best friends into a tree, killing all five. It is entirely the M.E.'s call.

Probably the worse accident since around here since: (AP) – In one of the most gruesome car crashes ever in northeastern Pennsylvania, eight teen-agers were killed when their two-door coupe swerved into a guard rail and sailed about 190 feet through the air before landing on its roof down a 30-foot embankment, authorities said. Mar 6, 1981

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post