SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question re Wood Fence
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question re Wood Fence Login/Join 
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I used cedar over PT for my fence (we are at 20years now), and ipe for my back steps. The cedar has held up beautifully, but the ipe already has a chunk missing- we aren’t sure if it’s neighbors’ enthusiastic plowing, or poor install, but we will have to replace a board or two next spring. I’m also surprised that my dogs have managed to scratch the ipe up a bit when racing up to the deck t come in the house. I’ve heard nothing but awesome things about ipe, which is why I had it installed 2 years ago (no care needed, ironwood, etc), but this little gouge has me wondering if I got schmoozled by the installers.
My vote would either be cedar or ipe.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone here used MCA treated lumber, or is everyone using ACQ treated?

Posts: 137 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: February 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
A lot of replies, no consensus.

Maybe I should have mentioned: appearance is not the primary concern. This is in the back yard, not visible to passers-by. Main purpose is to contain the neighbor's doggies, so he can just let them out in his yard without worrying about them wandering off.

Our requirement was the same, dog containment, but as of now that is not a need, due to Pippi's death. Wife and I are thinking no more dogs, but who knows what the future holds?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
This what I mean by steel post. https://www.google.com/imgres?...CMAI&iact=mrc&uact=8

Most of the cities on our parts have regulations against using wood posts because even treated wooden posts rot out in our soil. Metal posts only on new or replacement construction. Here's a little side section I replaced last summer. Stained cedar with a top cap. I expect the stain to last two, maybe three more years before needing to be re stained.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Could I make a suggestion?

Do you want a fence that will last till the end of time?

Ipe.

Will it be expensive? Absolutely.

But you'll only build it once, and there is no maintenance.

Or, do Ipe 4x4s and supports, and pickets of your choice.

They call it Ironwood for a reason.

If you don't want to go to that extreme, then get a cedar fence, but treat it yearly with the stain/sealant of your choice.

I'm telling you though, that if I was going to build a fence I didn't want to build twice...

Ipe.
Ipe is awesome. Not sure how it holds up to hurricanes though. It would suck to spend a fortune on an Ipe fence and have a hurricane roll through and destroy it...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
This what I mean by steel post. https://www.google.com/imgres?...CMAI&iact=mrc&uact=8
That’s what we did, but boxed in the galvy posts so it looks like an all wood fence.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
Not sure how it holds up to hurricanes though. It would suck to spend a fortune on an Ipe fence and have a hurricane roll through and destroy it...
I can tell you without hesitation, it would be crushed just as quickly when an Oak or Pine was blown down on it, or when 100+mph winds blew it out of the ground and two to three blocks east. I think hurricanes and even micro-bursts (which we get somewhat frequently) need to be factored into the equation when one considers how much money they want to bury in a fence that's very likely to be damaged or destroyed by weather in a matter of years.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not particular about the picket type but definitely metal posts, in particular these:

These posts would last forever and replacing any picket is easy and not too expensive.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Well, my question sort of answered itself. My neighbor, who is handling the project, just came back from shopping at Home Depot and Lowes. It seems that the only thing available right now is the Pressure Treated, so we'll go with that.

My thinking, it's the lower cost option, and as BigDeal stated, where we live the major threat to the fence will be violent weather, not aging, so I'm satisfied to save the money.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
Ipe is awesome. Not sure how it holds up to hurricanes though. It would suck to spend a fortune on an Ipe fence and have a hurricane roll through and destroy it...

I bet it would do fine. I'd do the posts in concrete for sure, hurricane or no.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My thinking, it's the lower cost option, and as BigDeal stated, where we live the major threat to the fence will be violent weather, not aging, so I'm satisfied to save the money

Pretty much every fence except the unattractive chain link is going to be damaged severely by a hurricane. I have plenty of experience in that department. In my neck of the woods a fence is covered by homeowners insurance and helps meet the hurricane deductible. In the Midwest and New England different principles apply.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Maybe I should have mentioned: appearance is not the primary concern. This is in the back yard, not visible to passers-by. Main purpose is to contain the neighbor's doggies, so he can just let them out in his yard without worrying about them wandering off.

Our requirement was the same, dog containment, but as of now that is not a need, due to Pippi's death. Wife and I are thinking no more dogs, but who knows what the future holds?

You're in Florida, go with white pvc fence. The pressure treated wood is garbage. I've never seen anyone use cedar here in south Florida.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

You're in Florida, go with white pvc fence. The pressure treated wood is garbage. I've never seen anyone use cedar here in south Florida.
Thanks for the suggestion. You might not have noticed, I asked about pressure treated wood vs. cedar. I did not solicit any opinions re plastic fence.

However, if you want to take the time to seek approval for this from our HOA's Architectural Review Committee, feel free to do so and report back to me. (Hint: the request will be rejected.)

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, my question sort of answered itself. My neighbor, who is handling the project, just came back from shopping at Home Depot and Lowes. It seems that the only thing available right now is the Pressure Treated, so we'll go with that.

My thinking, it's the lower cost option, and as BigDeal stated, where we live the major threat to the fence will be violent weather, not aging, so I'm satisfied to save the money.

Dont limit yourself to HD and Lowes. Go to a lumber supplier and they will have a much larger selection.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
I am not particular about the picket type but definitely metal posts, in particular these:

These posts would last forever and replacing any picket is easy and not too expensive.

What a great looking solution. Little concerned about the connection of the cross rails so close to the end with small screws. How is the covering picket attached to the post??

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:
quote:

Dont limit yourself to HD and Lowes. Go to a lumber supplier and they will have a much larger selection.
As I said, the neighbor is handling this (I will share cost with him). Age (81), medical condition, etc., limits my ability to do this. Neighbor gets a contractor discount (25%?) at Lowes. He also got the delivery price for all of the fence, knocked down to twenty bucks.

I've seen the guy's results on other stuff that he has done. He knows what he's doing, so I'm not going to second-guess him. The only question that he threw at me was, do I have a preference for pressure-treated wood or for cedar? I don't know enough to give him a meaningful answer, so I posed the question here, on the forum. Turns out, it's a moot point; cedar is not available at any sort of reasonable price, right now in our area, so we're going with the pressure treated stuff. At this point, he as placed the order, so it's a done deal. Next step, I'll keep him supplied with sandwiches and stuff, while he gets it done.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

Thanks for the suggestion. You might not have noticed, I asked about pressure treated wood vs. cedar. I did not solicit any opinions re plastic fence.

However, if you want to take the time to seek approval for this from our HOA's Architectural Review Committee, feel free to do so and report back to me. (Hint: the request will be rejected.)

Trex looks just like wood. You didn't mention an HOA. I don't know why your HOA wouldn't approve white pvc/vinyl, half of the fences in Florida these days are built with it. In South Florida I couldn't even find a cedar fence. They don't even sell the cedar here for fences at Lowe's or Home Depot, so there must be a reason. I don't know the reason.

As for hurricanes, if the fence is built right it will withstand a class 3 or maybe better hurricane. I went with wood 2-3 years ago, they sunk a 4x4" 3' deep with cement, and a 4x4' every 4' apart or less. If you only put a 4x4" 8' apart, yes a category 1 might even blow it down. I wish I went with something other than wood as I have treated it twice now with Thompsons water seal and it already has lost a lot of color, but I feel the white PVC is cheap looking.

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by lbsid:
you may be looking at that fence for many years.
Not so sure about that. I'm 81, and in the process of dealing with prostate cancer that has returned: the radiation did not kill it all.

Definitely get the pine. You can use Murphy's Law to your advantage, you get the cheap option and you'll live another 20 years, having to look at that knotted up crap every day and thinking "yep, Slabby was right, it worked!"

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by lbsid:
you may be looking at that fence for many years.
Not so sure about that. I'm 81, and in the process of dealing with prostate cancer that has returned: the radiation did not kill it all.

Definitely get the pine. You can use Murphy's Law to your advantage, you get the cheap option and you'll live another 20 years, having to look at that knotted up crap every day and thinking "yep, Slabby was right, it worked!"

Logic doesn't work very well with some people!